A lifetime of adventures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ana_The_Dreamer

Reaction score
"Actually, the best gift you could have given her was a lifetime of adventures.." --Lewis Carroll.
The day I was driving to adopt my Nessa Misha, I saw a sign on the edge of the road with that very quote written on it. It's stuck with me ever since. So I thought it would only be right to base the name of my new bunny blog off of that quote. Everything about Nessa is indeed an adventure. From the early mornings where she's rattling the cage bars to the "you can't catch me!" game she plays every afternoon, that little Holland Lop continues to be an adventure. She also teaches me things. Like patience. :p
Come to think of it, "adventure" should be Nessa's middle name instead of Misha.
Just the other day she discovered one of the (usually) closed off rooms in my house. Oh boy was she excited. She crept around the room, slowly peeking a lone eye around the bed frame, then happily binking when the coast was clear. After she properly chinned every object in the room (then chinned them all again just to make sure she had done the job properly the first time around), she triumphantly hopped upon a box and dead bunny flopped. I assume she didn't see me watching. I walked into the room only to be greeted by a thumping of feet as if to say, "Mooom I'm exploring!" My apologizes, your High-Ness.
Nessa also enjoys jumping on my furniture. She seems to take herself so seriously for such a little ball of fluff. I imagine she envisions herself as a rugged mountain climber, trekking through the treacherous Himalayas.
As she sits quietly, probably contemplating serious matters such as, "What exactly is the meaning of life?" my younger brother and I come up with names for her anatomy such as: "Booplesnoot" (nose) and "Fuzz Puffies" (feet).
What a misunderstood life she lives.
Well. I hope that my new blog will cause some enjoyment for you all, I hope to update it often. Adventures await!

Nessa and my dog Dixie had their first real encounter today. Even though Dixie is no bigger than a pompom, she seems to think she's a Doberman Pinscher. It's not that Dixie is a really aggressive dog, but after witnessing her going kookoo for cocoa puffs over wild rabbits in my yard too many times to count, I decided to keep their play dates to a minimum. I've let Dixie sit beside me and watch Nessa from across the room, but they've never been face to face.
As I was attempting to clean out my multiple gerbil cages, the cotton ball managed to sneak into my room and catch a glimpse of Nessa. I suddenly heard a rattling of cage bars then out of the corner of my eye saw Dixie running for her life with her tail in-between her legs. Nessa stood up on her haunches and gave a nice loud thump of her feet. Needless to say, Dixie doesn't think she's all big and mighty anymore. She practically runs past my room. Nessa must think she's some ferocious attack bunny now. :p

Haha, good bunny standing up for herself :D

My cat put a doberman in its place once. Doberman was terrified of my cat after their encounter, lol.

Today I decided to have a home photo shoot. My secret goal was to snap a picture of Nessa and I, but of course she didn't comply. Everytime my face would get anywhere near hers, she ran away with feet flicking. No amount of treats or coaxing can get that bunny to take a picture with me. Sassy rabbit.
I made her a huge salad of her favorite veggies/fruit and clicked away with my camera. After I took a bunch of pictures of her and put my fancy camera away, I decided to get on my laptop. Wouldn't you know that after I was all finished with taking pictures: Nessa decided to cuddle up next to me. The perfect photo opportunity! Little stinker didn't know my laptop has a camera. Haha, victory is mine!:yes:
DSC_0104.jpg "Is this all for me?"

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg "I'm over this whole 'acting cute' thing."
unnamed (5).jpg The long sought after bunny and me picture.

Nessa has been more than affectionate lately. She's now following me where ever I go. I was standing in front of my mirror attempting to straighten my hair the other morning when she ran over, flopped over on my feet, and fell asleep! I was tickled pink. She's massively improved from her attack bunny behavior she was displaying a few weeks ago.
I've had a handful of family members come into town over the month and Nessa hasn't been fond of any but my cousin Lee. As soon as Lee walked up to Nessa, Nessa jumped right into her lap and nudged her hand for pets. Apparently Lee raised and showed bunnies when she was growing up. She taught me some rabbit handling tips which have helped me tremendously with the whole picking up/putting down Nessa thing.
On the cuddly bunny topic again: I successfully held Nessa for almost more than an hour! She's usually too squirmy and prefers to run around but this time she seemed more than content to sit and watch Doctor Who with me. :D
What ever has gotten into her, I hope it sticks around! :p

Last night my area was pounded by hurricane Arthur. Lots of wind, rain, trees uprooted, branches everywhere, etc: the usual hurricane stuff. This was Nessa's first hurricane and she seemed pretty freaked out! She was pacing her cage and her eyes were wide and terrified looking. So I held her during most of the worst parts. Not sure if it was the barometric pressure or the noise that upset her. Besides that, everything turned out okay. Power was out for a really long time, which is never fun.

Those photos of Nessa are all so cute, I think it's hilarious that you got her with a sneak picture from the laptop, lol. I've had a hard time getting a photo of Bandit and myself together too.

Glad to hear you're safe from the hurricane though, I can imagine it must be quite a scary thing. Whenever we've had wild weather (loud wind, rain, hail, thunderstorms etc), Bandit doesn't really seem to notice. He doesn't care when I run the washing machine or vacuum cleaner either, lol. One time I caught him napping leaning against the washing machine while it was on its loud spin cycle, lol.

Bec: Aww, Bandit leaning up against the washing machine sounds so cute! :D

Nessa has decided that my recliner is no longer mine but hers. When I first brought her home she loved to pee in it but now she sleeps in it and chins all over it. Every time I let her run around my house, all she wants to do is jump up into the chair! I've started to sit in the chair more so she'll jump up into my lap. It's an easy way to have a cuddle session. :p
"Whatchu looking at Mama?"

unnamed (11).jpg

Last edited:
Nessa has been in a surprisingly good mood lately! I've been receiving lots of bunny kisses, which is always a good thing. :D
Earlier today I was cooking curry chicken for dinner (a personal favorite of mine) and Nessa let me know she didn't appreciate the smell coming from the kitchen by sitting up on her haunches, sniffing the air, sneezing a few times, then washing her face. I found it quite funny. :p I went to pet her after I had finished and I had forgotten to wash my hands (Oops!) so they still smelled like curry. She crinkled her nose, ran away, and thumped her foot. I take it she doesn't like Indian cuisine, hehe! Though she did seem to enjoy eating the parsley, apple, and banana I was using for the recipe. ( I put banana on top of my curry [along with peanuts], I discovered it tastes wonderful!)
I've decided to make Nessa an outdoor pen so she can get some exercise and a bit of fresh air. It's probably going to be created out of chicken wire and plywood. The weather has been beautiful around my area, so I might do that tomorrow. Will update!
Now for some bunny pictures!

unnamed (15).jpg

unnamed (16).jpg

Bandit doesn't like the smell when I'm cooking either, especially if I'm cooking any sort of meat, he will run away and hide, so I don't have him out when I cook. I love that last photo of her lounged out, so cute :D

Be careful if you use chicken wire, it is not all that strong and a determined bunny/cat/fox could break through. If you're going to be supervising her, it shouldn't be an issue though :)

Be careful if you use chicken wire, it is not all that strong and a determined bunny/cat/fox could break through. If you're going to be supervising her, it shouldn't be an issue though :)
Oh yes, only supervised. I would be too nervous to leave her outside on her own. :p

OMB Becky look at that butt! She seems quite proud of it too. Hee!

Today Nessa had a full "spa treatment". Something she is not too pleased about. :p
She had her monthly flea treatment (My dog can't seem to keep the fleas off of her..), had her nails trimmed, and her fur thoroughly brushed. Unfortunately my handy dandy cat nail trimmers busted while I was clipping her nails! I'm not sure how they broke but I think a spring busted off. Shame. I loved those clippers...
I got a bit of her quick when the clippers busted (which upset me) but after the initial shock of the clip, Nessa didn't seem too upset and let me finish trimming. I had to use human nail clippers, which I found to be not as easy.
Nessa now has an outdoor pen! It's just a small circle made out of heavy duty chicken wire that my father so graciously made for me. It's not as big as I would like, but who am I to complain! Nessa seemed to enjoy it. (For those who are wondering, she was supervised the whole time she was outside.) She dug around in the dirt, chewed on some dandelions, all around had a great time.
On a non-bunny related note, one of my little gerbils (Daisy) has fallen ill. I've owned enough gerbils in my life to know that she's probably going to pass away soon. She's 4 years old, so she's not young. She's lived a long life... but it still makes me sad. :( I wish pets could live forever..

Nessa has decided that she likes to loudly rattle on her cage bars at 4am. I don't sleep hardly at all as it is, so when I can catch a glimpse of shut eye and Nessa decides she wants to come out and play....uggghh. I'm probably going to move her out of my room at night if this keeps up. I have no idea why she's doing it! She didn't before. She has plenty of toys and things to do in her cage. Sigh.
I'm going on week long vacation on at the beginning of August, and Nessa is going to be left at my house under the care of my neighbor. She'll be in her cage all week...I can't help but feel guilty that she won't be getting let out or getting much attention. I know she's just a rabbit and it'll only be a week.. but I'm super attached to the little booger. I know she'll be fine, but I can't help worrying. :(
Now for some pictures!

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

I was at the pet store yesterday, and picked Nessa up a harness for quick walks around the yard. I didn't think she'd take to it kindly because I've read that others bunnies didn't react well. But she loved it! She fought me a bit when I first went to put the harness on her (she hates having her tummy or hind legs touched) but I coaxed her into it. She ran around my yard and did binkies the whole time! :D

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

Well. I thought I had found a clinic that was rabbit savvy and could spay Nessa for $50, but it turns out, when I contacted the office, that price had raised to $300: unless I went through a mind numbing process of purchasing vouchers which would bring my total $$$ owed "down" to $175-$200. Sigh. I'm so disappointed. :tears2: I've been trying to save up, but money is just so tight..
On another sad note, I have the leave Nessa for my week long vacation in two days. I don't even feel like going anymore, but I've already made the commitment. Oh how I'm going to miss that bunny. I can't help but go to the thinking of "What if something happens and I'm not there for her??" etc. :(

Don't worry, I'm sure Nessa will be fine. :) I left Felix for a few days when he was only around 12 weeks old, to see my partner's family for Christmas, and was so freaked out - I made my housemates send me pictures of him showing me that he was okay! He ended up having a nice few days and was perfectly fine when I came back. <3

I know how you feel, pet stuff can be so costly. :( Are there any other clinics near you that could offer more competitive pricing?

Pani: I've been looking around but haven't found anyone yet. But I won't stop searching!

Well vacation went well. Only to come home to a wonderfully shredded carpet (thanks to my dog) and an angry bunny. Nessa was quick to let me know she did not approve my absence, haha. She's improved greatly since then, still a bit snooty though. But she hasn't peed on anything since then. So that's good!
I've never noticed how vocal she is until now! Whistling when I pick her up, buzzing when I refill her pellet bowl, honking when she sees me in the morning, etc. Such a cute little thing. :D
I never had any idea how much joy a rabbit could bring me. I've been having a bad time with my re-occurring depression and anxiety over the past few months and my little furball just keeps me going. It's a wonderful feeling to walk over to Nessa's cage and be greeted with happy honks and bunny kisses.
Here's some throwback photos of baby Nessa.
(Poor baby had nasty pee feet when I first brought her home.)

DSC04899.jpg

DSC04932.jpg

Nessa gave me a nice health scare the other day. Thankfully she's improved greatly since. On another note, she now refuses to use her litterbox! Little booger. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. :p Your litter box is there for your poops. Not my shoes. Poops do not go in shoes! I have made a list of places where poops don't belong. Nessa, please take this list into consideration:

PLACES POOPS DO NOT BELONG:
  • My shoes
  • My freshly folded laundry
  • My pillow
  • On the dog bed
  • ON the dog (Yes, the dog finds them delicious, but I would prefer for her not to eat them!)
  • In the dogs food/water bowl!!!!
  • Just nothing to do with the dog. Please?
  • In my chip bowl (Waste of perfectly good chips..)
  • On my feet
  • Under my feet
  • In my seat
  • Strategically placed under my flipflops
  • In my hair brush
  • In the bathtub (I want to know how you managed to do that??)
  • On my face (When I lay down next to you, it is for kisses, not pewps.)
  • Lined up in front of the bathroom door
  • Lined up in front of any door (Why can't you be this tidy in your cage?)
  • In your hay disposer
  • In the nice visitors hands when she tries to pet you (Seriously, Nessa? I had just gotten done explain how well behaved you are and you flick a poop in her hands. Seriously.)
  • On my laptop keyboard
  • On my phone
  • On my dinner (How would like it if I pooped in your pellets? Wouldn't be too fun, huh?)
  • In the open refrigerator door
  • Smashed into my rug
  • Placed on top of my physiology textbook
  • On the TV remote, while I'm using it
  • ANYWHERE BUT THE LITTERBOX
The litter box is your friend, my beloved fur child. Please use it. Pretty please with a banana slice on top?

Here's a picture of Nessa when she somehow managed to take a picture of herself. I was going through my camera, found it, and thought: "I did not take this picture..." So the only other person (Err... animal..) around my camera at the time, was Nessa.
Cheeky.

DSC00047.jpg

Latest posts

Back