Suddenly dealing with a picky eater

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyva

Reaction score
So, Cucumber is now a bit over a year old. He just had a massive shed about a month back, where no amount of brushing could keep bit of fur from appearing in his droppings.

Before then, he was eating like a happy pig. He would come to the side of the cage we put his hay inside, periscope and take the hay from my hubby's hands as he was filling the grid we bent and hung on the wall as a feeder.

However, I noticed also around a month ago that he wasn't enjoying his hay as much. He refused to eat it. Hubby figured maybe the hay was a bad bag, so he brought home a smaller bag of the same stuff (Timothy by Ox Bow).

Cucumber accepted it at first, but is now only doing a nibble here and there. We used to have to refill his hay 2-3 times a day because of how much he ate. Now, we only ever have to top it off in the evenings as it still isn't empty.

We've trying offering orchard hay, and did give a little alfalfa (which he really likes, but we only offer as a treat sometimes) and he still gets his handful of pellets each day by rolling a cat treat ball around the house.

I don't know what else to do. He's still drinking normally, he has normal droppings, he isn't hunching over or grinding his teeth. He still binkies now and again and still does his bunny 500s.

It has gotten hot in our area. Not right now, but last week we were close to 90, and I had frozen water bottles in his cage at all times.

Is my little guy just being picky? I did look in this morning and saw him searching his hay for the more crunchy bits he likes. Do I just need to tough it out and do as we've been doing until he realizes that that's the hay he has to eat?

I would love to go out and get some grass I could add to the mix, but I don't have my own yard, and everything around here is sprayed with junk. He hasn't really been a fan of veggies lately either. He'll take them, but he doesn't eat them as quickly as he used to.

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry my post is so long. I wanted to offer as much information as I could.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Maybe a vet visit to have his teeth checked is in order.

I was thinking that last night. I can't check them as he doesn't like me handling him that way.

I forget if I can edit my posts. In any case, I decided to try something real quick. I have some timothy cubes left by kaytee, so I sat with him, and he has no problem eating it. He's going to town right now trimming it down. I used to save them for treats and sort of forgot about them a bit.

My hubby also just pointed out that he eats alfalfa just fine (when we offer it--which again, is a treat).

Maybe Ox Bow is sending out bad batches of hay? Could it be too dry?

Latest posts

Back