Care for Stray Domestic(?) Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fiv3r

Reaction score
Hello!

I found a rabbit in my front yard back in February (Albuquerque, NM). At first I entertained notions of rescuing it, but have a cat and know next to zilch about how to capture a rabbit much less care for it. I live in the city and it's just an average urban neighborhood.

Like I said, that was back in February and it can get pretty cold here in the evenings. I have no idea how long it's been living outdoors, but it's now April, and somehow it's survived this whole time. Also, I haven't seen any Lost Rabbit Posters.

I'm assuming it's a domestic rabbit. I've seen wild rabbits and this one is black, has short ears and a white chest.

Then I forgot all about it until 3 nights ago when I "sensed" something staring at me. I noticed a shape of something just 10' from me, and I moved towards it thinking it was a cat. It jumped into the shadow of a tree and I went inside to get a flashlight because it's shape seemed odd for a cat.

It was that RABBIT again!

I don't ever see it during the day. I only see it at night sort of hiding amongst some weeds I haven't removed. It's poor shelter and a poor hiding place, but that's where it seems to hang out at night. However, I did notice it's droppings during the day.

So, I've just left out some red leaf lettuce, some baby carrots, and tonight I put out very little bits of apples. I did a cursory online search as to what and what not to feed it...but I'm not sure what else to really do for it.

-----------------------

I'm interested to see what kind of suggestions will be posted regarding what to do with it. I'm happy to keep feeding it what I've been feeding it -- but am concerned if it's sufficient enough. And I'm wondering if it's only a matter of time before 1 of the cats injures/kills it, or something else happens to it.

Thanks for reading.

F.

Wild rabbits can be any colour. If it's survived months in the wild, it's probably wild. If you like you can leave out dark green leafy veggies for it or even make it a little makeshift shelter that cats can't get into. Carrots aren't very good for bunnies though, and could attract other creatures. Try romaine, kale, broccoli, parsley, or fresh herbs such as cilantro or basil.

a rabbit that has been living this long in the wild knows how to survive, it also would NOT make a good pet - even if it were once a pet rabbit, it's obviously not being handled regularly and its quite unlikely you'd be able to tame it down into a cuddly pet. And while a majority of wild rabbits are the grey/brown colour you can get all other colours also - from ppl releasing pets into the wild and breeding in with the wild population.

Back