Horse hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njbunny

Reaction score
I am wondering if I can give my rabbit horse hay? I believe it is not alfalfa but am going to try and ask the farmer. My sister has horses and I can buy a bale and take 2 flakes at a time from her.

Yes, horse or horse quality hay is what you want. Hay for cattle isn't as high a quality as horse hay. Also, horses & rabbits have very similar digestive tracts. I feed my bunny girls as they are over 6 months of age Timothy or Orchard grass. I've been told Bermuda grass is good as well & for me it is available locally. Others will probably be along & can tell you better how to judge the hay to be sure you are getting good hay for your rabbit. You don't want any hay with mold or dampness. Should also smell good. Anyway hope this helps until the more experienced members come along to help you better.

We buy horse quality coastal hay for our rabbits. We know our bale is still fresh when it has that sweet smell and it's still pretty green. I try to pull some hay from the middle of the bale before I buy it, to make sure it's dry and looks good.

Horse hay is fine. Most of what you see in stores is horse hay anyway, just more expensive. A bit of alfalfa can be ok, but not more than 5-10% for adults, no alfalfa would be best though.

I have a hay field and I give that hay to my rabbits :) They love it a lot better then the stuff bought from the store. It is perfectly safe to give horse hay or also known as grass hay

Latest posts

Back