okay I really need some kind of advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper2013

Reaction score
I have recently taken in my sisters rabbit Bun Bun, but now my Hopper has turned vicious and evil, She literally attacks him. Bun Bun is about 8 months old and he is extremely horny and won't leave her cage alone when he is out. Hopper had even attacked me because I didn't move out of her way fast enough. She has never bitten or attacked me till we brought Bun Bun home. I am also worried about what could be wrong with him. I'll post pictures, I cannot afford a vet visit and bill right now especially if he needs surgery. Please any advice on how to get these guys behaving we are hoping to breed at least once, the kits would be Lion-head/dutch/Holland lop mix. But if his area is cancerous I would have to put him down due to not being able to afford the vet bills. and is it normal for female rabbits to be instantly aggressive with male rabbits? Please any advice, or suggestion I am fully open to.

The pink you see where his penis is, those I can lift and the tips are black he has also lost hair on the inside of his back legs

Picture1026132115_1.jpg

Picture1027132311_1.jpg

Picture1027132312_1.jpg

Picture1027132313_1.jpg

Some new puzzeling thing happened. Hopper has finally calmed down and I was able to hold her pet her and get her almost fully relaxed then I put her on the floor to hop around so I could clean up a dog mess, and she went and started smelling Bun Bun and lifting her tail, I don't know if she is in heat or what the tail lifting means, but she started circuling his cage and pooping all around it and when I stepped near their cages she litterally charged me and head butted my ankle which I squealed when she did it because it surprised me. I have never seen her act this way. she is 5 months old now, does this mean she is starting to mature?

I'm not sure what that you are seeing wrong around his boy parts, as the pic is a bit blurry. Why are you thinking it might be cancerous?

With the hair loss on his legs, if the area was urine soaked, then that could cause it. From the pic though, I can't see any urine staining. Otherwise I would guess mites, in which case it would need to be treated with ivermectin or Revolution(selamectin), and that should clear it up. I think most vets will use Revolution, which often only takes one topical treatment.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

You are bringing an intact male into HER territory, that is why she is being territorial. The lifting and circling can mean she's decided she likes him and is ready for him. At 5 months old she is almost fully matured. Though sometimes it can also mean a rabbit is being territorial and aggressive. To know which it is, you have to observe any other behavior with it, like honking, charging, ears pinned back. From the sound of it, I would be more inclined to think she is feeling territorial.

If you really plan on breeding and don't already have potential homes lined up for the babies, just be aware that it can be extremely difficult to find good homes for rabbits, especially mixed breed. There also poses a risk to your doe. Any breeding is a risk with potential medical issues, so just something to consider if you can't afford to incur vet expenses at this time.

Last edited:
Take him in to the vet and get a proper diagnosis. An examination should run you $50 or $60 or so. Then you can make an educated decision about his care.

I fully support responsible breeding: breeding rabbits with excellent health, temperament, and type for the purpose of improving the breed or maintaining it's quality. Can't say the same for breeding two pet quality rabbits. One of which may have serious health problems. I'm sorry if that seems blunt, but there are already too many lovely rabbits languishing in shelters and rescues. Most of them mixes. Please reconsider breeding your rabbits. :(

Rue

We haven't fully decided to breed them, it was more of an idea that we will look into later when we are a little more set and when I am out of school. I am also going to have to agree that she is being territorial, she has been charging my cat if she got within 3feet of the cages. She has stopped charging me, but I can tell she has thought about it. I think she has stopped because everytime she came over to me I petted her like I usually do and I didn't try to hold her.

Does anyone know what a rabbit lick feels like? I think she licked my shoulder when she charged at me but I coouldn't tell, I've never had my actual skin nipped by her before just my clothes when I didn't move fast enough, but I had a small wet spot on my shoulder, is this another type of marking her territory?

I am not worried about this behavior continuing because starting later today/tomorrow, Bun-Bun will be going in my sons room up the stairs where hopper isn't allowed to go. Do you think this will calm her down? We got home too late to put him in my sons room tonight.

That's an oddl place to get mites, though not unheard of. My first thought was urine scald but the skin doesn't appear to be inflamed. Putting them on different floors should help, though they will smell the other if you handle one and then go handle the other one without washing your hands. Our pet Brit likes to come to me and smell my hands and shirt because he can smell our other rabbits on me.

Could it be caused by eating alfalfa hay? I give Hopper grass hay from our field and I am giving the grass hay to bun bun as well, but my sister always bought the alfalfa hay. He is about 7-8months old.

Latest posts

Back