Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > The Rabbitry and Show Room > Is my bunny pregnant?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
WillowRabbitry
Cadbury Pemberton Rabbitr

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Is my bunny pregnant?

This is my first time breeding rabbits, and the does first time breeding also. She is a 6 month old Holland Lop. She is medium size for her breed. I bred them August 21, so they should be due tomorrow or sometimes soon. I am pretty sure she is pregnant. She barely eats anything lately and has become very cranky and mean! The problem is that they are due tomorrow and she hasn't started making a nest yet.
I don't know what to do if she doesn't make a nest.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
lynnnora2

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have a similar problem, I bred my 2 does on 22 August, the older one has made her nest already, but my younger one who is 6 months also seems to start a nest then destroy it then start a new one then destroy it and so on. Its frustrating and worrying that they wont know what to do when the time comes. I have now put 2 boxes in, in the hope she nests in the preferred end of the cage.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Azerane
Mod at Large
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 544 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 28

She may simply make the nest at the last minute, some does also pull fur after they give birth. She is a new mum, so she may not get it right the first time, if she does have babies without pulling fur, you may have to improvise with something.

I am a little concerned that you say she's hardly been eating anything, if she's pregnant she should be eating more to support her babies.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
majorv

Liked 207 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I've found that some does will eat very little a day or so before kindling. They usually start back up after kindling. Just keep pellets and hay available. I may put some rolled oats or BOSS on top of their pellets to entice them.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Jackelope
Sponsor
RABBIT_SPONSOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hopefully she'll pull fur at the last minute. I used to always gather up some clean leftover nest fur after litters no longer needed it and used it for future nests when does didn't pull fur, but since this is your first time breeding, that begs the question of what you could use instead.

If you can find a place that sells it, you can buy synthetic nesting material made from a cat tails or angora wool (make sure it's chopped up so no long strands can entangle the babies). Vendors at rabbit shows sometimes have them, but this sounds urgent. You could call around your local feed stores and research rabbit supply vendors in your area, or post an ad on craigslist (you may have more luck finding someone who has some angora wool this way).

Does anyone know if, in a desperate situation, you could trim some of of the softer undercoat from a doe and build the nest out of that? Would that be effective?

Old 09-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
majorv

Liked 207 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackelope View Post
Hopefully she'll pull fur at the last minute. I used to always gather up some clean leftover nest fur after litters no longer needed it and used it for future nests when does didn't pull fur, but since this is your first time breeding, that begs the question of what you could use instead.

If you can find a place that sells it, you can buy synthetic nesting material made from a cat tails or angora wool (make sure it's chopped up so no long strands can entangle the babies). Vendors at rabbit shows sometimes have them, but this sounds urgent. You could call around your local feed stores and research rabbit supply vendors in your area, or post an ad on craigslist (you may have more luck finding someone who has some angora wool this way).

Does anyone know if, in a desperate situation, you could trim some of of the softer undercoat from a doe and build the nest out of that? Would that be effective?
You don't need to trim it, but on the belly the hair usually comes out pretty easily if the doe hasn't pulled it when she kindles. You can also use dryer lint in a pinch. Pet stores sell nesting material, which you could keep on hand for future use.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Jackelope
Sponsor
RABBIT_SPONSOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 33 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorv View Post
You don't need to trim it, but on the belly the hair usually comes out pretty easily if the doe hasn't pulled it when she kindles. You can also use dryer lint in a pinch. Pet stores sell nesting material, which you could keep on hand for future use.
Awesome! Thanks for information. That should help the Op a lot more than I could.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
middlemuse
Emma - Member

Rabbits

Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're in Michigan, right? Worst case and you need some fur for the babies, let me know. I've got a bunch of Aria's in bag from her last molt. (Figured I'd spin yarn or something with it.)

Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
WillowRabbitry
Cadbury Pemberton Rabbitr

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you so much everyone! She ended up not being pregnant so I rebred them yesterday. I will tell you what how it go's when the babies arrive next month!

Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
ladysown

Liked 165 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2

HOLD ON...

rabbits can go up to day 35-36 after breeding before they kindle.

SHE was giving you clues that she was pregnant... not eating much, being temperamental.

MANY rabbits will breed even if they are pregnant.

MAKE SURE that rabbit still has a nestbox and bedding materials.