Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Fleas?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Callaway
 
Callaway's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rockwood, Tenneessee
Posts: 102
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fleas?

So, as I was scratching my buns head this morning, I felt something that sort of felt like a scratch with coagulated blood. I got down and began examining it and saw all of these little black specks (not moving). Then I saw it. A flea running from my fingers. I pulled two of them out of his fur. I cant see anything anywhere else on his body except on the top of his head where he is a bit fluffy. I cant for the life of me figure out where he wouldve gotten fleas as he is an indoor rabbit and does not have contact with any other animals. We did have him outside on the grass in a pen labor day weekend so I am not sure if that is what did it.

So, what on earth can I do for Callaway to get rid of this buggers before they become a nuisance? He has not been itching like crazy or anything so I dont think they are bad...yet.



__________________
Callaway is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Bville
 
Bville's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 676
Liked 149 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

You can use Revolution flea and tick medication from your vet. It's made for cats and dogs, but they can give you a dose based on your rabbit's weight.



__________________
Bville is offline  
JBun Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
missyscove
Christina - Moderator
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png
 
missyscove's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pomona, California, USA
Posts: 6,414
Liked 278 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default

Revoution and advantage are both safe options. Revolution is prescription only but also covers mites and ticks.
Never use frontline (fipronil) on a rabbit.

__________________
missyscove is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Sophie's Humble Servant
Beverly
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sophie's Humble Servant's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 834
Liked 227 Times on 131 Posts

Default

I was researching the whole flea thing for myself because I'm moving to an area that has fleas. From what I've read so far, fleas very easily get indoors, either on another pet or the eggs can be already inside and lay dormant for months...the eggs hatch after somehow sensing the carbon dioxide breathed from the animal then they jump onto the animal. Fleas can jump 3 feet high! Since you had him outside he probably got the fleas there. If you have animals prowling around your yard, raccoons, squirrels, rats, cats, foxes, wild rabbits then the fleas will be around just waiting to hitch a ride on your rabbit. You can use a flea comb in the interim to get rid of the ones on your rabbit but the fleas are inside your house now, so that has to be considered.

Vacuum daily like crazy then throw out the vacuum bag. As others mentioned you may have to use a medication to get rid of them.

__________________
Sophie's Humble Servant is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
james waller
 
james waller's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KENT, Washington, USA
Posts: 1,155
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default critters that suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie's Humble Servant View Post
I was researching the whole flea thing for myself because I'm moving to an area that has fleas. From what I've read so far, fleas very easily get indoors, either on another pet or the eggs can be already inside and lay dormant for months...the eggs hatch after somehow sensing the carbon dioxide breathed from the animal then they jump onto the animal. Fleas can jump 3 feet high! Since you had him outside he probably got the fleas there. If you have animals prowling around your yard, raccoons, squirrels, rats, cats, foxes, wild rabbits then the fleas will be around just waiting to hitch a ride on your rabbit. You can use a flea comb in the interim to get rid of the ones on your rabbit but the fleas are inside your house now, so that has to be considered.

Vacuum daily like crazy then throw out the vacuum bag. As others mentioned you may have to use a medication to get rid of them.
--look into what is called diatomaceous earth--this is perhaps the only product I have found considered (safe)--all pesticides are lethal and cannot be considered or made safe,--we must prey that our loved ones donot touch said area (behind the head/neck)-even after product is dry.--farm ,livestock feed stoes generally carry this powdered stuff,--I use the food grade variety just incase of ingestion..--sincerely james waller :bunn ybutt:
__________________
james waller is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
Sophie's Humble Servant
Beverly
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sophie's Humble Servant's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 834
Liked 227 Times on 131 Posts

Default

I can't use diatomaceous earth because I have a cat. It's not safe allegedly? Read that online but sometimes it's difficult to know what the truth is on some of these websites.

__________________
Sophie's Humble Servant is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
DogCatMom
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 83
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie's Humble Servant View Post
I can't use diatomaceous earth because I have a cat. It's not safe allegedly? Read that online but sometimes it's difficult to know what the truth is on some of these websites.
What?! food-grade DE is fine for cats. My three cats get DE in their food twice a week to protect against any ingested flea eggs hatching out in their intestines, and I dust the cats with DE when I can't keep things controlled with the flea comb alone. I dust them by putting the DE in my hands and rubbing my hands over the cats; I do *not* pour the DE from the container onto the cat.
__________________
DogCatMom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Callaway
 
Callaway's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rockwood, Tenneessee
Posts: 102
Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

This DE: its safe for rabbits? I've never heard of it. Callaway experiences seizures and I've heard using medications such as advantage and frontline can induce them. I'd rather not be the culprit for inducing more seizures. Not sure if this is true or not but is rather be safe than sorry. How is it applied and how much? I see I can purchase it off amazon. Is there any place else I can purchase it from?


Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

__________________
Callaway is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Sophie's Humble Servant
Beverly
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sophie's Humble Servant's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Comox, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 834
Liked 227 Times on 131 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogCatMom View Post
What?! food-grade DE is fine for cats. My three cats get DE in their food twice a week to protect against any ingested flea eggs hatching out in their intestines, and I dust the cats with DE when I can't keep things controlled with the flea comb alone. I dust them by putting the DE in my hands and rubbing my hands over the cats; I do *not* pour the DE from the container onto the cat.
Read that because food grade DE is very dusty, the dust gets into the lungs and can cause irritation. I'm all about natural remedies but when I read blogs about animals dying and getting harmed by accidently breathing it in, it makes me worry. Again, trying to sort through the info online can be dodgy so that's why I posted that I was unsure...DE is silica and it kills fleas by cutting them like razors...sounds a bit scary but I don't know a lot about it. Would love to be able to use something other than medication if my pets ever get fleas.
__________________
Sophie's Humble Servant is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png
 
JBun's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Utah, , USA
Posts: 4,989
Liked 814 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Please, do not use Frontline(fipronil). It is toxic to rabbits and can be fatal. Revolution and Advantage are the ones considered safe to treat rabbits with, but even though considered safe, there is always the chance there could be an adverse reaction. So it would probably be good to discuss treatment options with your vet since your rabbit has existing health problems.

I've read different accounts of people using DE on their rabbits. I don't think I would feel safe using it on my rabbits as it poses an inhalation hazard, and it seems like that is something that could easily happen when applying DE all through the fur, as rabbits are constantly grooming. I also read a comment by a vet, about seeing it cause disease in livestock animals that have been treated with it.



__________________
JBun is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fleas KookieKing Health & Wellness 5 01-20-2010 07:34 PM
Fleas? Spring Health & Wellness 8 12-16-2007 11:58 AM
Need some help! Fleas on cat. AngelnSnuffy General Rabbit Discussion 22 09-28-2007 07:22 AM
FLEAS!!!! Starina Health & Wellness 5 08-08-2007 04:27 PM
FLEAS DC General Rabbit Discussion 6 12-31-1969 11:00 PM