runny poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennykon

Reaction score
Hi all,

my bunny Tito had runny poo yesterday and now his butt is very very dirty...I know bunnies don't like water so I am trying to find another solution. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

You could give your bun a butt bath but it is very important to dry him well and to keep him warm until he is completely dry. You could also try using unscented baby wipes.

Runny poo in bunnies is not a good thing especially if it is a young bun. They can die from this. You need to find out what has caused this and may need a trip to the vets.

Do you know what caused the runny poop and how bad is it? Are you just seeing mushy cecotropes along with normal fecal poop, or are you seeing watery diarrhea, or any mucous in the poop?

I'm afraid it was watery diarrhea. My bunny is 3,5 years old. I know I should be concerned but the vet keeps saying that is very common in bunnies. I have noticed that he is not having 'normal' poo if he eats too many carrots or parsley. Unfortunately, everyone in the family feeds the bunny so he ends up eating a lot. Thank you for your comments, his butt is clear now, he was very patient and relaxed somehow during the whole procedure, my mum kept talking to him. distracting him and he was even licking her hand. Tomorrow I'm taking him to the vet to discuss the issue!

Too many sugars in the diet can cause runny poo from what I have heard and read. Sounds like the carrots may be the issue! Try getting everyone on board with not feeding him so many to see if his issues clear up. :)

Good luck getting him feeling better!

It's sooo hard, my parents won't listen! Especially my dad...I think it's a way to show him their love...they don't understand that such a diet could be fatal for the bunny...I'll just remove the extra food and see how he'll do :) Thanks again!

Hope things are going well for you and your bun. Watery diarrhea can be a horrible problem for bunnies--they can go downhill very fast. In bunnies under 6 months, diarrhea is an emergency situation, so make sure to get this under control soon. You can stress the seriousness of it to your parents, maybe.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

Thanks for your comment! He feels great now, he is happy again But still today I' m taking him ti the vet. :) I am trying to upload a picture of him but it's not working.

Can you have the vet talk to your parents if the vet will back up not feeding him so many carrots? Could you print out some info from some sites such as medirabbit backing this up and have your parents read it?

We use unscented baby wipes to clean up life's little messes. Feeding is a critical thing for sure--we have some that get only a small amount of veggies compared to the others buns or they have a loose stool problem too. Feeding has to be adjusted, and, we tell everyone that bunnies are more work than a cat or dog.

definately bunnies are delicate and require more attention regarding their diet! I will do my best to let them know what the bunny should eat and how often and also print it...hopefully this will work:) thank you all!

The vet said that he needs an adjustment in his diet. Yesterday he ate a small bit of lettuce and one carrot. Today just a bit of banana and again one carrot. He feels great anyway :) Next week we are visiting the vet again. Hopefully he will lose some weight...currently he is 2,5 kilos and the vet said it's a bit unhealthy for his age!

Latest posts

Back