Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Sick Bunny :(

Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
ksullivann

Default Sick Bunny :(

I just got a Dutch Rabbit yesterday and today noticed that she had "poopy bottom". I have read that this could be a sign of an illness but am unsure if it's an illness or just stress. When I got her she was in a cage with other bunnies where she is now, alone. I have given her Timothy Hay and she has nibbled at it a bit but hasn't eaten a whole lot. She has been drinking water. Please help

Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
MikeScone
Mike - Camera Corner Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 155 Times on 115 Posts

If you just got the bunny yesterday, I think it's safe to assume she's still pretty stressed out about the change in her situation. As long as she's eating at all, I would wait a few days and see how things develop. If she stops eating for a day, it's time to get her to a vet.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
ksullivann

Thank you, Mike. I am just new to the Rabbit owning thing and am really worried about her. I also got her wooden sticks and a toss Carrot that she has no interest in. Not sure if that could have anything to do with stress or illness.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Zeroshero

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I would be concerned now by soft stool, how old is she? Have you noticed any normal formed fecal poops? My bun experienced intermittent soft stool and will occasionally have it if I try offering a new food into his diet. What is she currently eating and what was her diet previously?

If it was my rabbit I would find a rabbit savvy veterinarian and get her in for a fecal float for bacteria/parasites and a wellness check before her syptoms progress. You could also use that time to consult with your veterinarian about basic husbandry for your new rabbit.

Welcome to the forum

Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 796 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If it's watery diarrhea or there is mucous or jelly type stuff in the poop, you need to get her to a vet right away. If it's just soft mushy poop but you are also seeing normal round fecal poop, then it's most likely due to a bacterial imbalance in her cecum caused by her diet. Did she have poopy bum problems before you got her, or is this new? What food has she been getting? Is she eating the same pellets she had at her previous home or are they a new kind? What type of pellets are they and how much is she eating in a day? Also, have you given her any veggies, fruit, or other snacks or treats?

Here are some pics of what normal poop should look like and what mucousy poop looks like.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

Last edited by JBun; 08-20-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Bville

Rabbits

Liked 146 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've had my rabbits about a month now and looking back at how they behaved when I first got them, I now know they were really stressed out with the change of moving to a new home. Now that I have gotten to know them, I see what is more normal behavior for them and you will get that way too with yours. Probably within a week you will see her personality, what she likes and doesn't like. I think as long as she is eating some Timothy hay and drinking water that is good enough. Chewing hay is supposed to be a stress reliever for them, so just make sure she always has some available.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
ksullivann

Zeroshero,
Yesterday she was having normal fecal poops. I believe her previous diet was just regular pellet food and she is now being offered Timothy Hay along with a few different vegetables.

Unfortunately I am unsure of her age.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
ksullivann

JBun,

I have given her some snacks and treats and she will eat them but it's not often that I see her go to her food bowl and eat. Yesterday she was having normal poop, nothing stuck to her bottom. It wasn't really watery, looked like normal poop but was just a little softer than it should have been, causing it to get stuck to her bottom.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
ksullivann

Bville,

I am hoping and praying that it is all a cause of a change in environment and stress but I can't help but think negatively. I have a lot of Hay in her cage but rarely see her go to a pile and start eating it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Bville

Rabbits

Liked 146 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It may be the vegetables, snacks, and treats that are giving her the soft poops. You should stop those and just feed hay and pellets for a while, then introduce veggies one at a time and watch for a reaction.