How did you come up with your rabbit's names?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaiya

Allison
Reaction score
I decided to start this thread, as there are some very creative bunny names out there!

Moss:
1. I was reading a book series at the time I got him, and in the book was a type of moss called rabbit's ear moss!
2. When I got him his fur had a greenish tinge, and it looked like moss! (Kind of...)

Zaeo:
1. Long story. I've always liked to make up cool and interesting names! So there's a girl on Disney channel named Zendaya, and I decided do mix the name with Kaiya, so it started out as Zaiya (pronounced zie-ah), and I changed the pronunciation to zae-ah. I turned it into a male's name: Zaiyo. Then I altered the spelling: Zaeo! :thumbup

Reactions: np
I love Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, especially his "dog" named Zero. I didn't plan to get a rabbit but he happened to be white so that's his name, glad it was a rabbit I ended up with and not a white Jack Russell Terror I mean Terrier.

When I got Ellie it was very sudden and spontaneous and I had no idea what to name her. So I asked people what they thought she looked like and someone said Elvira. So her real name is Elvira, but she goes by and answers to Ellie because my husband can't say Elvira without breaking out into song.
Plus she totally looks like an Elvira. She needed a huge name for her small frame, because her personality and grumpiness are too big for a simple name.

I love Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, especially his "dog" named Zero. I didn't plan to get a rabbit but he happened to be white so that's his name, glad it was a rabbit I ended up with and not a white Jack Russell Terror I mean Terrier.

I love Zero from Nightmare Before Xmas!

My little guy is named after one of my favorite video game characters, Mordin, from the Mass Effect series.

When my sister and I were kids we had a bun named Askhim (ask him), funny when you are a kid having people actually ask the rabbit what its name is. We also had a rabbit named Puppy not sure where that came from.

It took me a few days to come up with Shya. She seemed to have an "S" personality. I just played with sounds until Shya came up. Seemed to fit her somehow so that's how she became her. Kai is a German giant from Germany so I wanted to give him a German name. Kai is actually Samoan but it's very popular in Germany for some reason. Franklin came with his name. Mostly everything in the house is named after personality traits. Booger was an ass of a kitten/cat but I babysat too much to call him that in front of kids. Sebastian was kind of shy/aloof and very finicky so he got a French name.
Needer is kind of slow and I was always saying he needed to find a brain.
Tex-Anne has this HUGE personality in this little bird frame. If you say it fast enough is sounds like Texan. Usually she's just tex but you scream the whole name at her when she's in trouble. To many animals to go over them all!

I named Ash Ash because his fur is chinchilla colored and it kind of looks like the color of Ashes. I think Smoke or Smokey would have fit him better as its more his color but my bro thought it would be better as Ash so we stuck with it. I think its fitting for him.

I named Pip after Pippin from the Lord of the Rings books. I met him at the breeders and he seemed like the most mischevious bunny.
Other nicknames include 'Pipster / Pipples / Pippy / Stinky'
:D

I always have trouble naming my pets and it usually takes me over a week to pick one that fits.

My first bunny was not planned and he went two weeks without a real name. My roommate at the time wanted to name him Wren or Martin and I didn't like either of them. Martin soon changed to Merlin but that didn't fit either. So he became a Melvin and it fits his sweet little personality.

Ivy was a gift from my boyfriend for graduation. I wanted to name her Primrose and call her Prim but it did not seem to fit, we went through a bunch of different plants until one day we were at a nursery and I saw an ivy plant.

I know my dog isn't a rabbit but when I got her, I named her Molly but she was way too sassy for that name. My mom suggested Ellie but I did not like it. However two weeks into having her I realized she was an Ellie. I named my boyfriend's puppy after a therapy dog in the psych department at my college. I told him he was only allowed to keep the puppy if he named him Duncan and he agreed because the pup had the same coloring as his favorite horse named Duncan.

We wanted to name Fraggles after one of the Fraggles. Originally she was going to be Mokey but it did not stick. We kept saying the word 'Fraggles" over and over again and finally "Fraggles" just stuck. We shorten it to "Frags" and when she is mad she is "The Fraggler". Naming Muppet was easier because it matched Fraggles and well just look at her....

Miss Muppet hallway.jpg

Hugo:

Well when I was looking for a rabbit, I didn't expect a giant breed at first. I wanted to start small but when I looked into his eyes I knew he was the rabbit for me. His sire and dam where both Checkered giants I assumed and since he was big I was looking for names that fit his large size. I came up with 'Hugo' that day remembering a movie, and besides that he was huge from day one so 'Hugo' seemed to fit his size.

Willow, Kiaya, Ranon and Mims are all named after the movie Willow.

Hooligan, Rascal, Imp
I had just gotten back from music camp and when I was there my group of friend got the name Hooligans, then the other girl in the group and I were really close and got the name Rascals. Imp was my mom's idea.

Big Louis was something that popped into my head. Since he is a French lop a French name fit well.

when we got frank our friends and family said he was evil because of his red eyes. so i was thinking villains that are rabbits when i remembered the rabbit from Donnie Darko, Frank. So at first he was named because of that rabbit. but soon we came up with the idea to remake the band ZZtop through our pets. so Frank is also named after Frank Beard, soon (he doesnt know this yet.) But I plan on getting my boyfriend and I a kitten for his birthday (which is also valentines day) and name him/her dusty. and then a fish named Billy.

Originally we wanted to name our bun after historical warriors. I'm not sure why, I think because he was so big we felt he needed a mighty name. He was almost Hannibal but realized if we shortened it he'd end up being called Han and well that's a fictional character and didn't quite fit. So my wife knows what a fan I am of Conan so we named him Conan the Bunbarian. Sadly my wife likes to call him Naner or Niener Niener Christmas Dinner...Not at all amusing to me :). Xena Bunnier Princess was easy, we needed a fictional female warrior and my wife dislikes Red Sonjia so Xena it is. We have no nicknames for her other then bad girl or wild girl. It's funny, we set out name them without taking info account their personalities, but it really seems they grew into their names. Also my wife was mortified that I registered the buns at the Vet with their full names. It's a mouthful and silly, but I got no shame!

I will add my Cockatiels as well, and our fish. We wanted the birds to be a fictional couple and felt Oberon and Titania fit their looks and our whimsy. Only Oberon turned outnto be a boy. I refused to let the wife change it and even though she lays eggs call Oberon my little wing man. Haiku our Betta fish is graceful, poetic and mysterious (In my mind at least) and thus the name.

Sadly I even give names to important inanimate objects in our lives. I've always felt naming things was a magical process. Guess I'm a little nutty.

I used to think up cool names for pets on the boring bus rides home from school. Unfortunately, I never remembered any of the names when I actually got a new pet, lol.

Apart from my Siamese Fighting Fish/Betta Fish that was named Maximus Decimus Meridius (after the Gladiator movie) I haven't had a great many pets to name. My first rabbit was called Hazel-rah after the lead rabbit in the book Watership Down. Bandit's name wasn't very creative and was simply the one that stuck. I threw at least 30 names out in the first few days I had him and Bandit was the only one that wanted to stick. Fortunately, he also looks like a little bandit with his masked faced and gloved paws. He also has a bandity personality, always trying to bend or break the rules.

Titan:...he is BIG..and loves to run around us and the dog like he is orbiting us...so we named him after Saturn's largest moon ^_^

Also my wife was mortified that I registered the buns at the Vet with their full names. It's a mouthful and silly, but I got no shame!

I named my moms long haired Chihuahua, Jack Paul Anka. She wanted to name him Jack and I wanted to name him Paul Anka because who doesn't love Paul Anka. So we named him both and it flowed. haha. So when we took him to the vet for the first time, they called out his whole name. Thats what happens when you let me fill out the paperwork! My mom just laughed because it was hilarious, everyone was like "what? Thats such a long name for a small dog!"

I'm a huge nerd and had a theme going with all of my pets. When I first started aquiring them I was way into the Anime Narutu and I wanted to name my cat after my favourite character - Shikamaru. That didn't fit at all so I went with Temari (my other favourite) who has a really strong personality and it fit very well.

After that every time I've gotten a Bunny I've wanted to name him/her Shikamaru but it just never fits. When I got my first rabbit he became Shino (also from the anime) and it worked for him so well. Next I got my mini lop but no names from Naruto worked for her. She went several weeks with no name until my sister suggested Riza Hawkeye from Full Metal Alchemist. I looked at her and asked "So, are you a Riza? And she cocked her head at me like she was answering me with an "of course!" So it stuck!

And of course just recently we got Pips. He is white with black spots and the black spot on dice are called...... Pips! So he was dubbed Pips O'hare!

my fiancée picked the bunnies names. he said that the little one looked like a dustbunny. I always name all my animals, but since I kind of bought them for him for xmas and didn't want him to be mad!! ahahahahahah!!! I wanted to name them dunkin and donut!!!!

Latest posts

Back