Hay Question?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PwnzorsNTittylwinks

Reaction score
We had gotten a huge bail of hay a while back, which finally reached its end so I went to the store to buy some timothy hay. I had gotten an oxbox hay card with my pellet card so i figured; why not? and bought some.
I picked up a package of Timothy hay, and a package of Orchard Grass. I figured that a variety would be best, but I have a question;

do i need to "introduce" the orchard grass like i would with veggies and treats? or can i just throw the two together and trust he will be okay with it? is Hay something he could have a reaction with?
I havent given him any of the orchard yet, because i figured id wait til i was sure it was okay.

i know its probably a silly question. but still! lol he loves the timothy oxbow though. its like as soon as i put it in his cage he runs in and spends 15 minutes just eating it lol

With hay, you can usually give them without any problems. Alfalfa is the one that can be a problem, but that is usually due to the higher calcium and protein that most adults don't need.

You could give a smaller amount for a day or 2 so he can get used to it, but you don't really need to go slowly.

From what I've read on here previously, new types of hay don't need to be gradually introduced, unless it's Alfalfa hay. So you should be fine, I introduced Bandit to meadow hay slowly anyway just incase he decided to refuse it completely. But if your'e mixing them it won't matter because he'll still have some hay if he decides to not eat the orchad.

Latest posts

Back