Interacting with new addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morquinn

Reaction score
Last week I brought a new addition home, an 8 week old tabby kitten. Since the rabbit cage is in the living room the interaction between the two was pretty much immediate. Babs (the bunny) didnt seem fearful but she was very curious. The kitten was a tad nervous and didnt approach the cage very close but kept a distance.. now I cant keep the kitten away from the cage, he can actually get in it by climbing to the roof part and going through the larger holes. Babs seemingly doesnt mind and I still let Babs out of the cage for some running time and they both run around in circles chasing each other. There has never been any biting or aggressive looking behavior. Babs ears are always up, there is no thumping or any type of noise. As soon as new kitten "Roger" catches up to her she bolts again around the room, she is much much faster than the kitty. Are there any signs I should look for to see if Babs is actually stressed by this game of cat and mouse/bunny. I dont want either to get hurt but it seems so far so good. I wonder if anyone else has experience introducing cats to bunnies. Im hoping since Roger is just a tiny lil thing (about a 1/3 of the size of Babs) that they can grow to really enjoy each others company.

They are both so cute! But I will make a suggestion as a used-to-be cat person & now bunny person. (No, I still like cats but prefer not to have them with my buns & bird). Anyway, you might want to consider buying & putting on those cat nail tips that you can buy at PetSmart & other pet stores to cover the actual nail tip so they can't scratch furniture or other pets. Only if it is an indoor only cat. Wouldn't want the cat not to have a means of protecting itself if outside. I know cat's claws can be deadly to many animals/birds & also their saliva. I'm just an overly cautious person when it comes to my animals/birds.

Personally I think the nail tips are overkill, but that's just my personal hatred for stuff like that :p I think allowing them to be around each other is good, but obviously only under supervision. Kittens can easily get carried away with claws and things, for the moment while Babs is still bigger it's not as much of a problem, but as your kitten grows it will be harder for Babs to get away if needed. So just encouraging good behaviour and encouraging the kitten to be calm around Babs is good too.

Latest posts

Back