Rabbit of the Month - Teddy

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > 8 week old bunny eating problems

Old 06-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Devi
Rabbits

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Unhappy 8 week old bunny eating problems

I got a Netherland dwarf rabbit, she is around eight weeks old now (born May 9). She has been in our home for six days now and she doesn't seem to be eating as her food is barely touched. For the first two days she was eating and drinking fine and had to have her bowl refilled several times in the day but for the last four days I have not had to refill her dish, and her hay is untouched completely.

She has just started to move around her new cage and not hide all the time near her water bottle, in litter box or in her woven editable house, to help her get use to me I have been talking softly to her, reach in letting her sniff me as well as lightly nudge her like another rabbit would to but she has not been responsive. She is in an area where there is traffic but not to noisy area.

I had to pick her up today to clean her cage and all she did in my arms (hind legs and front all properly supported) was shake as if she was having a seizure and I noticed she was much thinner then she was when I first got her so I put her back in did a spot cleaning and left her be. This is my first rabbit so I am not sure what to do.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 778 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I would move her cage to a very quite area, and not mess with her too much, besides feeding, and minimize cleaning as much as possible. Also don't pick her up for now, if you don't have to. You can also try a small amount of treats. Normally I wouldn't recommned feeding treats to a baby bunny, but in a situation like this it is sometimes needed to help a rabbit adjust to it's new home. So maybe try a less sugary treat like a tiny piece of carrot, or a few pieces of rolled oats. Some rabbits respond really well to treats. If she doesn't, try to just leave her alone as much as you can, but also you need to check in on her to make sure she is eating, drinking and pooping. You could also try covering most of the cage with a towel and just leave the front uncovered, so that she feels more safe. If she stops eating and pooping, you'll need to take her to the vet so she doesn't develop a blockage.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Devi
Rabbits

Thank you for the Advice. But could her issues be caused by lack of sleep ( I know rabbits are active at dawn and dusk, sleeping the majority of the day)? As today is the first time I seen her sleep during the day and for her to do this I had to pick her up and put her in her den once I did she immediately dug to make a hole in the bedding and then laid down and is sound asleep.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
ladysown

Liked 160 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

she's a bunny who is not eating/drinking. She is too young to even have one day of letting her be to see if she'll pick up or not.

She needs to be under VET care ASAP or you will lose her.

She is very much an unwell bunny and needs care immediately.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Stuffedcritter

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how are her poops are they dry or moist and plump? Little pineapple juice in her water will encourage her to drink (is she use to a water bottle). Did the seller/breeder give you starter food or is this new brand. Is she eating hay / greens everyone has different feeding style. Check her cage she my be eating bedding or something else in it.(my house rabbit was eating wall paper and dog food even though he had free choice hay, pellets, and greens.) Little chamomile fresh or dried sprinkled on her food might get her eating again help calm her nerves. Take your time with her sit there and read a book.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
ladysown

Liked 160 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 2

that salient points'

around eight weeks old now
six days now
doesn't seem to be eating as her food
last four days I have not had to refill her dish, and her hay is untouched completely.
was shake as if she was having a seizure
she was much thinner then she was when I first got her

Age + not eating + weight loss = DO NOT MESS around. Get her under care immediately OR you will lose her fairly quickly. That she is still alive after four days is amazing. BUT please, don't mess around, get her under care.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
Devi
Rabbits

Ok here is a update. I got a vet in to check her as a home visit but sadly there was nothing he could do for her. It is figured she was either ill when we got her as she was never a curious bunny or the stress of her relocation but she passed quietly this afternoon. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 519 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 633

Send a message via Yahoo to Nancy McClelland

We're so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately it does happen no matter how we strive. I was going to recommend that you get some alfalfa hay--it is high in protein and calcium and I never met a bunny that wouldn't eat it. It does sound like there was some problem there as it only took all of ours a couple of days at the most to start being pesty and most were that way as soon as they were brought home. Also, the first thing I do with a new bunny is take them for a well check with our vet.

Sometimes I feel like I'm running a fertilizer factory.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
majorv

Liked 195 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I'm sorry you lost her, but I agree that you can't mess around when bunnies that young stop eating. They will go down fast!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
Ilovemyrabbit
Elise - Introductions & Blogs Moderator

Rabbits

Liked 307 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 772

I'm so sorry for your loss.