Lionhead as a pet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsAmandaYall

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum/rabbits so please excuse me if this is in the wrong area. I'm looking for a pet rabbit. I don't have much experience. I really like the looks/size of the lionhead. When researching this breed I got of they're friendly, well mannered, loving, calm, love attention, crave companionship, and are active. Then one person said that they are often timid? That it takes gentleness and understanding to gain their trust. I understand rabbits are prey animals and each rabbit has their own personality, but do you find your lionhead timid? What is your lionhead like? Do you keep yours outdoors? Thanks.

I have a young, Female Lionhead. We aren't sure on the exact age as we found her in a field. She is around 4 or 5 months! Her name is Chive.

So far I am really enjoying her! She isn't timid at all, but definitely isn't a snuggly Bun haha. This could be that she was a stray Bunny. She has come out of her shell a TON since we found her. Very curious, playful and is finally enjoying being petted. Chive loves to binky outside of her cage, and really enjoys any type of toy! I have trained her to go back into her cage when I ask, and am also training her to stand on her hind legs on command :)

I would definitely recommend a Lionhead to someone who wants a nice and outgoing Bunny. She isn't one for sitting on your lap and being held, but she will jump into your lap for a few pats which is fine by me! She is housed indoors. Using treats to get her to come closer to us, and also treating her while she was being patted made a HUGE difference! When we first got her all she would do is hide from us, now she is the opposite. She sits at the door to her cage just waiting for attention and to be let out!

I keep my Lionhead indoors, he has his own room with his bun-wife Phoebe the Californian. He is always shedding, he HATES being picked up but I believe that's due to him living outdoors for the first 6 months of his life, no human contact...no brushing...nothing. He does not like to be petted or touched. The grooming part is difficult since he hates being touched so I don't do it as much as I'd like. He is much more timid than my Californian who is brave and curious. My lionhead used to be scared of everything, you sneeze from three rooms away and he gets scared. He likes food lol. Raisins, craisins, honey nut cheerios, cheerios, grapes, fresh hay, veggies, his pellets, hibiscus flowers, dandelions, etc. He also likes laying on a cool tile. He likes being clicker trained, he loves a big space to run and play, he greatly dislikes loud noises. He used to hate my boxer but they are on really good terms now. In my opinion, I would have gotten a younger rabbit, from a BREEDER, and I think I would have chosen a different breed de to the extreme fur. But I love my Buster! :)

I have found lion head to be a bit more aloof with people. It's not that they aren't friendly, more that it is on their terms. Mine don't seek out affection like some of my other rabbits, but they are still affectionate.

When it comes to rabbits, breed does play a role, but a lot comes down to the individual rabbit. Some are more pushy than others, some like to be cuddled and some don't and some are more active than others. Even within the same breed, sex, age range and even with siblings, there are differences for each individual.

Lionheads do have the grooming aspect as well. Some take more work than others. Mine have mostly just needed a bit of extra attention around the mane and bum and the rest is pretty much like a normal furred rabbit. There are some that are a more wooly coat all over that need a lot more care as well as some that might mat up more easily. Since they are a new breed, there is still a lot of variety with coat type.

I have had 2 lionsheads and they are pretty opposite personality-wise. The first was a adopted at about 10 weeks of age. She was a cuddle bunny, attention seeker, very curious and adventurous. She was a lap bunny, very laid back and sweet. Timid is not a word I would use to describe her. The second was adopted at around a year old- he was dropped off at a pet store because the previous owners said he was mean and kicked their other rabbit and that they only got him to keep their other rabbit company. He is much more skittish, runs and hides if you move at all in his presence. For a while he would stomp when ever my boyfriend would pass him (probably didn't help that my boyfriend stomps back). He is not as destructive as my first and no where near as curious. Even when his door is open he prefers to remain in his cage. He is also much pickier about what he eats (the first was a garbage disposal in rabbit form). He is timid, but I think a lot of that is due to where he lived his first year. There are moments when he is more playful and affectionate. I think there is a wide variety of personality in the breed and that a lot depends on the age you get the bunny. I love lionsheads and think they are great rabbits- but then again I might be biased as I have only had lionsheads ;)
I keep the hair trimmed around the eyes when it gets to lond and brush when it was shedding season, other than that I leave there coats be. Never had problems with matting.

Sophie is a lionhead cross. I've only had her for 3 months so I'm sure some things will change but so far she is extremely lively and very active but at the same time she gets scared very easily. She likes to be petted but won't sit on my lap. She definitely loves me from a distance lol. She's her own woman! She's insanely curious which conflicts with her fearfulness.

I have a lionhead, she's very sweet and good tempered. :) I wouldn't say she's timid, quiet is more like it, she doesn't have such an outgoing personality as my nethies. But I do agree with the description you put of them. She's curious, active, and a big cuddler :) She does live outside but she gets *tons* of attention. They do shed quite a bit, my girl isn't as fluffy as some others on here, but she still has to be groomed quite a lot. I'm really glad that I got her and I'll probably get another at some point(like when I don't have 4 bunnies..). :)

Well another lionhead review from an owner here... mine is NOT fond of being held, wont let you walk up to her either, its more her coming up to me when she wants to. She isnt afraid of much, not even the vacuum. She sheds like the dickens and she is quite the escape artist. She is housed indoors in a custom NIC cage but she has escaped it several times by just taking the door bars and shaking the heck out of it till the clips come loose.. she is completely littertrained (it was SO easy with her) and wont even poo outside her cage. She loves a good pet on the head when she is inside her cage and she will come up for treats and such, but yeah definately not the most snuggly bunny, still love her though. (I still call her a she even though I found out it was a boy haha)

Latest posts

Back