New bunny owner with a question :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmen_ashleigh

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I'm a brand new bunny owner from Australia. I have previously lived in a state where bunnies were illegal :( But have moved somewhere that I can have them now so I finally have a bunny after years of wanting one!

I really wanted a male mini lop and waited weeks to find one as rabbits are hard to come by where I live now. A 'breeder' contacted me after I placed an ad and told me they had a male mini lop! I've had him since he was six weeks and I think hes about 9 or so weeks now. I took him to the Vet as a preventative measure to check he was in good health and the Vet told me that she thought the bunny was a girl! I'm pretty upset because I really wanted a boy because I had heard they were much more affectionate and friendly.

So, the bunny is pretty happy and I let her out for a run around the house at night, the only problem is that she doesn't like people much at all. It's not even that shes really scared of us, but when we pick her up she just wants to jump down and run around. Will she ever likely become affectionate towards us? I really wanted a bunny that would be friendly and would like to spend time with us and I'm disappointed that the breeder told us the wrong thing and that this bunny might not be as friendly as a boy would...

Any advice/reassurance would be great! I've waited so long for a bunny and I just feel a bit let down.

Don't be impatient. He's just a baby and she's just getting to know you and your family. 3 weeks is no time at all for your relationship to even be getting underway, let alone developed. She's a bunny, they like running around on the floor. Have you tried getting down there with her instead of picking her up? Instead of being disappointed that she doesn't like the same things as you, try thinking like a bunny and try to like the same things she does. In time, you'll get to know her better, and you'll be able to tell when she wants to run around and play and when she might be a bit more tired and ready for a cuddle or a lie-down. She might never be a cuddler and you'll just have to enjoy her other qualities, watching her play and chomping her food and all the cute bunny things that she does.

Yep it def takes time! My lil guy is super affectionate, loves having his head scratched, but hates being picked up. I would also recommend sitting on the floor with your bun, that way they can get used to you being around. Eventually she/he may flop beside you for some head scratches or hop on your lap.

Be patient. I have two does (girls). The best advice I can give has already been said but I will repeat it again. Take some time to sit on the floor with your bunny. Have a healthy treat Craisins or banana in tiny bites. Offer her a little treat while you sit quietly. Move slowly. Give her a treat when she comes up to you. Soon she will start to come when she sees you. After awhile she will not only come up to you while you are sitting on the floor with her but will actually jump up on you just to sit with you. A little more time & treats & she will accept rubbing her head & eventually her whole body! It takes time, patience & a few treats (not too many though). You will be so happy when you see her progress to a loving (in her own way) bunny! Some may be more cuddly than others but they are amazing companion animals! I was all set to accept one of my two girls was going to be a standoffish, no touch bunny but even she has surprised me! Who knows I may have two cuddle bunnies after all!

I always tell everyone, "patience and bribery". Mine will do just about anything for cilantro. Remember, most bunnies equate being picked up with predator behavior so you have to get them accustomed to it and not all will become lap bunnies--just not in most of their DNA.

Females can be just as affectionate as males! Some bunnies just don't like being held, and plus if she's new then she's probably really interested in everything around her so she wants to explore.

I concur with the others. My doe is very sweet and affectionate, she gives me wet bunny kisses all over my face if I bring it down to her level, but the moment I try to pick her up she turns into a raging monster kicking for her life. My buck, on the other hand, is docile when picked up but never kisses me :(

Every bunny is different! Males being friendlier than females is an untrue generalisation.

It really depends on the bunny. I have 2 doe dwarf mixes and one of them is always licking me when i pet her for a while and the other is pretty much a loner and doesnt really show much affection...but loves to be pet nonetheless. I also have a mini lop as well and she is a doe too. shes 3 wks and is super affectionate :D so it just really depends on the personality. just give it time!

It will still take a little bit of time before your bunny will become used to you, just keep being persistent and encouraging her, feeding her things by hand etc to get her used to you. It took at least a month after I got Bandit for him to completely stop struggling whenever I picked him up. He is ok with being held, but if I sit down and have him on my lap he generally doesn't like to sit still, he wants to explore! But he's affectionate in other ways in that he asks for head rubs etc. You just need to give it time.

As a side note regarding the gender, it's a possibility your bunny still is a boy. Young rabbits can be hard to sex, Bandit was about 12 weeks old when I took him to a vet (experienced with rabbits) who checked his gender and was sure he was a girl! I checked him myself after I got home and even I could tell he was a boy. Anytime from around 11 weeks onwards you should know for sure though because if it's a boy the testes will drop, if not, you have a girl :p At the very least, at around 4-6 months old you should get him/her desexed anyway and they'll definitely be able to tell by that point. All I'm saying is, even vets can get bunny genders wrong!

Don't be disappointed.
I used to have a girl rabbit. Her name was Muffin. She LOVED cuddling, even on our way home when I first got her from the breeder she just sat on our lap and loved to be held and petted. She was very sweet. Don't worry, it only takes time. She may not ever want to be SUPER cuddly and stuff, but soon she'll warm up to you; that's what I've heard. All rabbits are different. Mine was cuddly from the start, but it's okay that yours isn't. If you find time for her every day, she just might start to warm up.

~Waffle

Latest posts

Back