A lion and a lop... Tucker&GusGus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TuckerandGusGus

Danielle
Reaction score
Hey guys, as most of you know, I did have another blog called ‘The adventures of Tuck...’ but I figured I should start a new one, now that I have my new boy Gus.. I wanted to include him more, because he is now a part of our family, too.

Just a small little introduction; most of you should know a little of the story as to how I got my two boys.. but just a reminder; The most important thing you need to know is they are the cutest babies around d:
....No really, but I got both of my boys off of craigslist; I basically need to stay away from craigslist.. one of two things need to happen 1) I need to stop looking at craigslist or 2) people need to stop posting ads of pets on craigslist, it just leads to trouble for me.. it breaks my heart into a million pieces. For real.

Tucker’s story wasn’t so bad, he was listed on craigslist because the lady had her own bunnies & they weren’t fixed, and we know what happens when that happens… babies! So, her bunnies apparently have litters often.. which is very sad, and I probably shouldn’t have “supported” her, but I just couldn’t say no to his cute face. I also didn’t pay a dime for him, she gave him to me for free … because I promised to send pictures; she gets pictures & videos on facebook. He was only about 8 to 10 weeks when I got him, so that makes him about 5 months old now.

GusGus’s story is a little more sad… he was purchased impulsively at a fair. His prior family was at a fair and saw a little kid holding a SEVEN week old bunny baby, and of course they were oo’ing and aaah’ing, and held the baby bunny. The kids said they had to sell him today and that he was only $15, so they “fell inlove” and decided to take him home, she said she got in the car and it was one of those things like “What now?” Anyways, needless to say, obviously he didn’t have the best of lives starting off with. He is about 10months old now.. so 5months older than Tucker. They never gave him hay… apparently they took him to the park and let him hop around outside, and that was about it.. they supposedly let him run around with the kids in the family, when they had him.. but in December they had to move, and left him where they were living, with her father in law… the guy didn’t care about him, so he only gave him his crappy pellets, and never let him out and barely cleaned his cage.. he was in a tiny dog kennel, and it was so disgusting! I was appalled. It was at the end of April when I picked him up, so.. that’s like 5 months in a small dirty kennel with not much attention.. and NO HAY or veggies. |: It makes me so sad and mad and so heartbroken. But seeing him posted on craigslist multiple times really broke my heart, x1000.. I mean really. The reason she didn’t get rid of him sooner is because it would’ve broken her kids hearts.. selfish. I mean I don’t have kids, but I’m pretty sure I’d rather not neglect an animal before anything else. Poor bunny bun. Now he’s spoiled rotten here.

Of course Tucker and him had to both be neutered, and I got a great deal for that. & the appointment was made before I even picked up GusGus… haha. I didn’t expect it to happen that fast, but it worked out wonderfully. They are both doing really good and it’s been over a week now. I wanted to get them done as soon as I could so that I could start bonding them soon, too.

This tuesday will be the marker for two weeks with my boy Gus, and I have seen a major improvement in his disposition; he seems happier.. the weirdest thing about it is now that I have the room seperated intwo, he actually spends most of his time in his cage still! I think it's because it's big and he's used to being in his cage? I'm not sure why.

The latest around here right now is that, of course, it was so hard for me to split up the playtime for them both since they have to be seperate. Tucker has never been locked up, when I first got him I had a pen connected to his cage, but he kept getting over it, so I then gave him the room.. then we got Gus, and I had to do seperate times, so he ended up having to be locked up, and he was NOT a happy bunny for that. I have two pens, but stupid me I thought they didn't come apart, but that was stupid of me.. because they do! But either way I actually ordered some interlocking shelves that I can build a pen to split the room. In the mean time one of my friends let me borrow her spare pen, that actually is a little taller than the ones I have.. I decided to leave Tucker out the night I set it up (which was this past Friday) to see if he would be his usual basketball player self and get out.. oh yep you betcha he got out! But the thing that kicked me was that GusGus also ESCAPED his cage!!! How is this even possible? So when I woke up to check (I have no idea how long they had been together) GusGus was humping Tucker and then I split them up and Tucker started humping Gus' face. I thought it was dominance, but I did notice Tuckers peepee was out, and I read that mean hormonal.. which is understandable. Anyways, going to still keep them seperate for a couple more weeks then maybe try dating. But I figured that was a good sign.
-Also figured out how GusGus got out of his cage.. apparently a bar on the side of his x-large dog kennel was broken away so it needs to be like re-glued or whatever, but for now I wedged a piece of cardboard in between the bars, and it has done it's job.

Anyways, here are some pictures for now.
(Sorry for such a long post)

Here are some pictures of my Tucker the LION! Rawr!!

null_zpseae046fe.jpg

null_zpsd9c31628.jpg

null_zps599b06ae.jpg

And here are some of my new boy GusGus

null_zps4b1bef96.jpg

null_zpsd2002d09.jpg

null_zpse9d9b635.jpg

Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed :D

Yay I'm so happy you started another blog! I'm newer so I haven't had much time to catch up on the Tucker one. They are both so so sweet looking! I'm so happy that GusGus is in such a loving home. :)

It's hard for me, too, to "catch up" and really get to know everyones buns I have to read like 20+ pages, though I have done it in some cases, it's hard in others, so I figured a new blog would be nice for everyone that is new, too. I understand. I hope I don't bore you too much, haha, but I love to write and share my thoughts & feelings & things that go on in my life. :D

"Well, it's already been about a week and half since their neuters hasn't it? So waiting a couple weeks would put you close to the 4 weeks that it sometimes takes for the hormones to fade. It can take longer, but doesn't usually seem to take longer than the minimum 4 weeks.

I'm not as well versed on the technicalities of bonding as Lisa is, so hopefully she'll chime in. I've been lucky with pretty much being able to put my rabbits together and them being pretty ok. And I know enough about signs of aggitation and aggression in rabbits, that there are some that I won't even chance trying to bond or put together to play. Then if a rabbits behavior seems ok towards another rabbit, sometimes you just have to take a chance, and just hope there isn't an all out fight. I have several rabbits and I let them have playtime outside. Because I have so many, it makes it easier to let them play in groups, but I have to carefully pick who gets to play with who, and not all of them are neutered/spayed yet, so some boys and girls can't play together, for obvious reasons. Anyways, I got this girl bun and she was pregnant when I got her, and she had some babies. I still have most of the babies, and they are all grown up now. Well the momma bun hadn't been around the babies since I weaned them, but I wanted to be able to let her, one of her girl babies, and another girl bun, out to play together. The two girls are best of buddies, but the momma when inside playing by herself, had shown signs of aggression. So I wasn't sure I would be able to let them out to play together. So I let them see each other through a gate and they seemed ok, so I let them out together, and I was literally hovering over the momma bun with gloved hands ready to grab her up if she seemed aggressive at all. I watched for pinned ears, raised tail, but she didn't do any of that. They all just hopped around exploring and playing. But you do have to be very careful with introducing altered rabbits, and even more careful with unaltered rabbits, and just know the signs of aggression, and be ready to intervene immediately. But once you've set it up for success, like switching stuff so they get used to each others scent, then you just have to take that big step and have that first date. I don't think the litter boxes have to be completely clean. You're just trying to get them more used to being around each others scent. But you want to start with small things like food dishes and toys first. No, you don't need to wait, you can start switching those things now, then maybe after several days you could switch litter boxes. And switching play areas should be ok."

@Jenny, in response to your reply on my other blog, I don't know how all of you guys do it! Doing multiple seperate play times and everything - that's the biggest and hardest challenge I have with these two not being bonded, I mean with this pen it has been working now, thankfully. Once I had moved his igloo away from the pen he hasn't gotten out to the other side at all, but when I am sleeping and at work I am still going to lock them up in their cages, just for ease of my mind, that's all. Sounds like you got lucky with the momma bun and her babies. d: I have never really experienced tiny little baby buns but I have seen pics and of course they're so adorable, you must've really enjoyed it. :) I have been kind of already letting them all share their toys, I have two willow bridges for them and I switch them around all the time, I may start doing it with food dishes, I switched their water dishes, too, because I bought one for cheap that said "Stud" and wanted to give it to Tucker !! haha :D he is MY studdddd.

Anyways, thank you so much for all your great advice!

Haha, you're funny Katie d: Thanks for joining me and Tuck & Gus over here now :D

I have a small little vent/rant I would like to get off of my chest. So here it goes..

I have a mountain cur, dog, he is approximately 2years old, and he is nuts! I mean really, he isn't that bad at all, but sometimes he has a lot of energy, and especially if you get him all worked up. And especially if there are new people around. So, one of the biggest things I can't stand is.. WHEN NEW PEOPLE GET HIM WORKED UP ON PURPOSE.. and then COMPLAIN that he's in their face!!! Like what in the world do you expect?! So.. here is my story; yesterday my Dad came over to visit, which he does once in a while, but mostly when he has a new girlfriend or something, which seems to be weekly, because right now he's just 'dating' around & hasn't found anyone that has 'stuck' but I think to him he looks better if he brings them to see his daughter or something.. I can't quite figure it out. I have gone out to breakfast with one, and a week prior to that went out to lunch with another.. I can't even keep their names straight at this point! Anyway, so a new lady came over yesterday - Dad dropped off some delishhhh ice cream so I'm NOT complaining at all. We did training class with our dog Stubbie.. when new people come over he gets so excited he JUMPS! & it's insane.. like he's not huge but he's a good 45 to 50lbs, and when he is overly excited he could push people down, of course. So, when we were at training class they said to have him be in a sit, and let people pet him while he is sitting, and the second his butt comes off the ground the person is supposed to NOT look at him, and NOT pet him, technically they're supposed to turn around & ignore him completely. Now, he has actually been doing pretty good about this, but this is also when people start to get him riled up instead! Which is the BIGGEST NO NO!!! Like for'real. They move their hands infront of his face kinda lightly pushing on his face, and of course that gets him going and he is all play play play after I just got him calmed down. Then you sit on the couch, and my animals are a big part of my family - that means they can go on my couch, my bed, and whatever they like, except tables & counters! d: But Stubbie basically has this one spot on the couch that is HIS, he will sit other places but he likes this one spot in particular, so if someone sits there he is automatically like all over you, but this doesn't help when I am trying to get him to stop and to calm down and you're back to riling him up again. Like can't you take a hint? THEN they say "Oh, I don't mind" one second, but I mind! Because not EVERYONE wants a dog all over them when they're sitting on the couch, and he needs to learn his boundaries!! I can't picture my 102 year old great grandfather on my couch and Stubbie thinking it's okay to be all over him.. and it obviously isn't.. but then after saying you're fine with it, you're complaining about it, I mean do you NOT understand that when he does calm down and you start "playing" with him he is going to do exactly what you don't want? He is a DOG. UGHHH. This isn't the only person to do this - hence why I get so aggrivated. It got to the point where I ended up having to get treats and start training him to do things, I was working on roll over. >.< Some people just drive me bonkers!! & what kills me is SHE is a dog person! She has a dalmation!
Also, my Dad annoyed me because whenever he's around a girl you know he acts like he knows everything, which whatever.. usually I don't mind, but when he started saying that Stubbie was humping, when all he was doing was kissing, I got annoyed. We've had my dog for a good 9months and he has never humped ANYONE or anything! My dad was like "I know you're dog.. kissing leads to humping" No, Dad.. infact that has never happened here at all. & what's worse is.. my DAD has a st. bernard, who is HUGGGGE, and HE humps people. I remember one time I brought my friend over and Bailey (Dad's dog) started humping my friend Andy... like really?!

Anyways, I took a pretty picture of my boy, Stubbie yesterday. I'll share it here for all of you. xox he is my love bug, and seriously he is my heart; he can be a lot of work, but I enjoy every moment with him (most of the time!)

null_zpsb6c93bcc.jpg

Everyone always thinks he's part pit, but he isn't, I mean I can't know FOR sure, but I've had a vet identify him as a mountain cur, and when I looked up the breed it fits him to the T... look wise and personality wise. He came from a kill shelter in Florida, a lady who advocates for the animals there, went there and asked who was going to be euthanized that day, and she thought she was gunna take home a female one that she knew was hanging around, but the moment she saw Stubbie she couldn't say no.. he was cowering in the corner, so so scared. He has come SO far, thanks to her for saving him, she had him for 8months and it was hard for her to let go, but she was living with her elderly parents & he's a young boy with lots of energy, and she had to take care of them, so she had to let go. & It has worked out amazingly for all involved. We got him transported to virginia, and Mike & I drove down to pick him up... 12+ hrs there, spent the night, got him actually around 11pm.. I was so anxious, and then drove back home. We brought our little Tinka for the ride too, she loves her brother so much ! Even though the first night he annoyed her, but that's because he was stuck in a car all day and had all that energy to get off. She just wanted to sleep because she is a lazy lazy gurl. <3

He's really pretty! I looked up mountain cur's and they look like him. He has like a pit shaped head and his ears, so people probably think he's a pit because of that. I understand though, what you're saying about people messing with the dogs and riling them up. Like, when we had our dog, a dingo, he was the best dog in the world. But he loves people, so he would get really excited and jump on whoever came in the door. My dad would always be like its okay! Then ask him to jump back up. I was always like NO! Its not okay! What happens when girls come over and he jumps on them?! No girl likes paws to boobs, that hurts! haha.
So I would tell him to go lay down on his bed and make him stay there until he calmed down and then he could come say hello like a good boy.

I also really hate when people pick on dogs, like really mess with them. My best friend has a beagle and a chihuahua and her fiance will torment them, like a little kid! I HATE IT! I just want to yell at him to stop. Like he'll attach a dog bone to the end of a leash and run around and have the beagle chase him, she's like 9 years old and fat, so she does need the exercise, but then he doesn't give her the treat. Or he'll try to get her to play fight and she really DOES bite. And then it makes her all amped up and she humps the chihuahua and he gets mad. I don't know, it irritates me like the guy is a child and is pulling the dogs tail or ears and the mom in me wants to just flip my sh*t on him! haha.

Ugh I hate that! Luckily we have pretty calm dogs for the most part, but our one boy Rudy, he'll get super excited if somebody starts running with him or like dodging around him, and he loves to play so he'll jump right up next to the persons face and grin really big,(yes it's actual grinning, his dad and half sister do it too) and people will flip out, and it's like, well you're the one that got him wound up....

Danielle, yes omg I hate that too. It's like holy crap I train the dog to not do that, don't act like it's ok, I want the dog to have manners not run around like a hoodalum!

Morgan, I say flip sh*t on him! What a d-bag!!!!
Like, I enjoy to pick on Rosco sometimes, what I do is when he's laying down I love to tickle his feetsies and he kicks and gets all upset and gives you the eyes like hey jack I'm trying to sleep! Then he gets up and chooses a new place to lay and then I stop it hehe. But I never do it over 3 minutes and he gets lovins after cause he's such a sweet boy!

Pipsqueak, hahahaha he grins?! How cute is that? We need a picture of that sometime :)

Hahaha. Katie, I know! He's a nice guy and I like him and everything. But sometimes, I'm just like 'jesus christ, if you're bored because you're a child, go take a **** jog or something!' I'm sorry, as an adult when I get bored, I don't torture my animals I try to do something productive...like a grown up. LOL

My mom's chihuahua smiles, with teeth. Its so funny and so cute!
I love dogs that smile with teeth!

Oh yeah, the pit thing is a very common thing we get actually, and it kind of annoys me, because I know when we walk down the road and people see us coming a lot of people will cross the street to get away from us, and it makes me so upset because my boy is very friendly. He sometimes gets very overly excited when he sees other dogs and stuff, but that's about it. He just loves to play. His fur feels different than a pits, and he has a different build, but he DOES have a big block head, although his muzzle is actually longer than a pit's usually is, in that pic it looks kinda short, but i'll post another to show you..

null_zpsf8f89e81.jpg

But I do know that people do think that he is a pit because of his head, haha. Infact a friend of mine actually treated me like crap over that, and if you can't accept my dog, pit or not, then I don't want you in my life anyways. Pitbulls are NOT bad dogs, people MAKE some pitbulls bad dogs, it's as simple as that. With the proper training all dogs are great dogs.

& exactly, like with your Dad and the dingo, Morgan, it's so annoying to me! Like NO i don't want my dog doing it! Okay? Respect that and leave it at that. Just like the whole people giving my dogs table scraps. WE DO NOT HAND FEED THEM HUMAN FOOD... WE DO NOT GIVE THEM HUMAN FOOD AT ALL.. and that means YOU can't give them it EITHER. We don't want beggers.. but no one respects that. EVER. It is another thing that irks me!

People that torment ANY animal should NEVER be around animals. I would seriously injure anyone who was tormenting my dogs infront of me, and if they were doing it to their dogs, I would never be able to sit there and watch that. It makes me so so upset to see any animal mistreated. It'd be hard for ME NOT to flip my sh*t on him!!! I give you major credit, Morgan!!!

Stubbie actually BITES my butt if I run with him, haha he's so obnoxious, Pip! But I love him either way, and he seems to always have a grin on, too!! haha. Gotta love these doggies.

null_zps4bec18b8.jpg

And now that we're talking about dogs a little; I can't leave my Tinka out, so everyone meet my chihuahua mix.
null_zpsf3676fcd.jpg

Dogs that smile with teeth are absolutely adorable, sometimes Stubbie does & it totally freaks me out sometimes!! haha

Katie -- I forget that you're a trainer!! Maybe you can help me out with my boy!

Last edited:
Well I don't have any of Rudy smiling, but here's his daddy Sawyer<3

9ghq90.jpg
[/IMG]

And here's his half sister Queen(on the right) with her mom, this was her first attempt at a smile that we got on camera.
6fyy6t.jpg
[/IMG]

I agree about table scraps because I don't want him to beg and also bc he has a sensitive tummy and will have explosive diarrhea at about.... 3 or 4 am.
So it's a no no and people do it anyways and I'm like wtf man I just said not to!!!!!!!!!!! >:[
Oh yes I'm always available for training advice. :)

Those are adorable smiles!!!!! Sawyer's is almost scary >:]

Yes, Sawyer actually is SCARY.. I'm trembling over here! but of course the little baby on the right on the second picture -- absolutely adorable!! I am melting. I guess it evens it out now!! haha :) x

Heehee thanks everybody. :) When Sawyer does something bad, he'll just give me the biggest smile like 'But you don't wanna be mad at me!' It's seriously hard to stay mad at him.

I bet.. it's hard for me to stay mad at any of my babies.

Stubbie has this bad habit of chewing up my slippers. I actually have boughten 3 pairs and they have all been chewed up within days of getting them. I try to keep them away from him, but somehow he ALWAYS gets ahold of them. I don't get it. My boyfriend just bought me a pair of slippers for my birthday (april 30th..) he gave them to me early bc I really wanted them... so I got them on the thursday before my birthday and by monday, not even a week later, one was ruined and ripped into pieces. Oh yeah, they didn't even MAKE it to my birthday!! can you believe that? But then he just kisses you and looks at you with his sweet sweet face & you're just like 'awh shucks' and you give him a big hug!!!

I kept them in my room, which he doesn't have access to if we aren't home, but what happened was my rescue friend who was bringining another foster cat over stopped by and I threw the dogs in my room fast to keep them away from the new kitty (didn't want them scaring them)... and babam. I opened the door and it was R.I.P pink comfy slipper. ):

Awww poor flip flops and slippers! X'( I'm so lucky to have a dog who doesn't chew shoes! I try to provide him with lots of raw bones to munch on :) he LOVES them!

Latest posts

Back