Rabbit of the Month - Teddy

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Feeding baby rabbits grass



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
CanucksStar17
 
CanucksStar17's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Feeding baby rabbits grass

I have read in every book that I have ever had that you should never feed rabbits green grass or vegetables even if they aren't sprayed if they are under 1 year old. I have never listened to the books and have fed my rabbits grass and vegetables as soon as they can eat, they never have had any problems with it, do you feed your rabbits grass and vegetables before a year old? If not why?



__________________
CanucksStar17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Ilovemyrabbit
Elise - Introductions & Blogs Moderator
 
Ilovemyrabbit's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virgina, West Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,318
Liked 307 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default

Its my understanding that baby bunnies can eat certain vegetables before being a year old. Here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_age_can_baby_rabbits_start_to_eat_fruits_and_ vegetables I fed my Ash vegetables before he was a year old.



__________________
Ilovemyrabbit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
PaGal
 
PaGal's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Prince George, Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,364
Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts

Default

Spaying has nothing to do with it.

Some say seven months is old enough to start on veggies, some four months. The reason not to feed items when they are very young is that their stomachs have not built up yet the right bacteria to deal with the food. This could lead to GI issues. Young buns are more prone to diarrhea which can be deadly to rabbits. Some buns are more sensitive than others.

__________________
PaGal is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Ilovemyrabbit
Elise - Introductions & Blogs Moderator
 
Ilovemyrabbit's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: West Virgina, West Virginia, USA
Posts: 3,318
Liked 307 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Default

^ I agree! I started feeding my Ash veggies when he was 7 months old.

__________________
Ilovemyrabbit is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
CanucksStar17
 
CanucksStar17's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGal View Post
Spaying has nothing to do with it.

Some say seven months is old enough to start on veggies, some four months. The reason not to feed items when they are very young is that their stomachs have not built up yet the right bacteria to deal with the food. This could lead to GI issues. Young buns are more prone to diarrhea which can be deadly to rabbits. Some buns are more sensitive than others.
I don't know if you wrote the word spraying wrong or you read what I wrote wrong, I said I feed my rabbit's un-sprayed grass. I know spaying has nothing to do with it
__________________
CanucksStar17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png
 
JBun's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Utah, , USA
Posts: 4,758
Liked 778 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

I think she just read it wrong. I thought you meant spayed too, haha. So you mean if it's not treated with chemicals. Yeah, you shouldn't ever let them nibble on it if it's been treated with anything anytime recently, no matter what age they are. As to the age that is best to wait til before letting a rabbit start veggies or fresh grass, it really just depends. There are young babies that have had grass and veggies since they were hopping out of the nest, and haven't ever had problems, but then with others it will cause them to get soft poop and poopy bums. It can really go that way for any rabbit at any age. Basically it depends on how sensitive a digestive system a rabbit has and how quickly a new food is introduced. No matter what age you introduce veggies/grass at, it's best to start with small amounts and increase it gradually, so that you are giving the rabbits digestive flora time to adapt to the new food. And starting slowly also gives you a chance to see if the new food causes any digestive problems for your rabbit. .Generally speaking, it's usually recommended to wait til they are at least 3 mo. old, to just give their digestive systems a little more time to develop. It's a good guideline for new rabbit owners to go by, as they are just starting out and aren't as familiar with the kind of digestive problems to keep an eye out for with their new rabbit. But really in the end, you need to decide for each rabbit when and what is best, on an individual basis.

__________________
JBun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
majorv
 
majorv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,805
Liked 195 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

Young kits in the process of being weaned from mom's milk to pellets is already an adjustment to a still developing digestive system and I would not be willing to throw veggies into the mix at the same time. Our rabbits don't get veggies/greens but even if we did, I wouldn't add them until they were at least 3 months old. A year old, though, seems pretty old to wait to start.

__________________

Last edited by majorv; 04-28-2013 at 09:47 PM.
majorv is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #8
CanucksStar17
 
CanucksStar17's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBun View Post
I think she just read it wrong. I thought you meant spayed too, haha. So you mean if it's not treated with chemicals. Yeah, you shouldn't ever let them nibble on it if it's been treated with anything anytime recently, no matter what age they are. As to the age that is best to wait til before letting a rabbit start veggies or fresh grass, it really just depends. There are young babies that have had grass and veggies since they were hopping out of the nest, and haven't ever had problems, but then with others it will cause them to get soft poop and poopy bums. It can really go that way for any rabbit at any age. Basically it depends on how sensitive a digestive system a rabbit has and how quickly a new food is introduced. No matter what age you introduce veggies/grass at, it's best to start with small amounts and increase it gradually, so that you are giving the rabbits digestive flora time to adapt to the new food. And starting slowly also gives you a chance to see if the new food causes any digestive problems for your rabbit. .Generally speaking, it's usually recommended to wait til they are at least 3 mo. old, to just give their digestive systems a little more time to develop. It's a good guideline for new rabbit owners to go by, as they are just starting out and aren't as familiar with the kind of digestive problems to keep an eye out for with their new rabbit. But really in the end, you need to decide for each rabbit when and what is best, on an individual basis.
Yeah you are so right! I guess every rabbit is different! My rabbits must have pretty good stomachs because I was feeding them grass and 3 weeks. I have learned though that it isn't a good idea to feed a 3 week old runt grass My runt had problems for days after I fed her some grass
__________________
CanucksStar17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
PaGal
 
PaGal's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Prince George, Virginia, USA
Posts: 2,364
Liked 288 Times on 254 Posts

Default

Sorry I did read that wrong, comes with reading fast because I didn't have much time. I think I was pretty paranoid about starting my bun but I did it at seven months, a year does seem longer than necessary.

__________________
PaGal is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
CanucksStar17
 
CanucksStar17's Avatar
Rabbits
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 28
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaGal View Post
Sorry I did read that wrong, comes with reading fast because I didn't have much time. I think I was pretty paranoid about starting my bun but I did it at seven months, a year does seem longer than necessary.
Yeah I have a tendency to read really fast and read stuff wrong too so I know what you mean


__________________
CanucksStar17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
feeding grass fuzzylittlewabbit Nutrition and Behavior 5 05-06-2011 04:49 PM
Feeding wild Clover and grass and Dandolions Tessie Nutrition and Behavior 6 06-02-2010 01:32 AM
Feeding fresh grass instead of hay? gentle giants Nutrition and Behavior 7 05-16-2008 03:52 AM
feeding grass? jil101ca General Rabbit Discussion 1 04-28-2007 01:33 PM
Baby bunnies on grass? Arkintheroad General Rabbit Discussion 4 09-04-2004 04:19 AM