nasty white gene/baby bunny pic.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixonsrabbitry

Reaction score
They are cute. But one problem. The nasty whitegene Ive mentioned the chins carrying on here, before, decided to rearits ugly head with one of my verybest bucks, and an ok typeddoe.:( Hes one of my better show rabbits. So I can't cullhim. But I do want to keep a baby from this litter. So should i cullthe rest as meat or pets? Or sell as breeding stock as long as I letnew owners know about the white gene? Suggestions? I plan on cullingthe doe into my meat outlet once the babies are weaned.

babies1.jpg

Im in michigan. Though if I cull as pets theres always the chance of someone abusing, or breeding them. Its a tough call.

And most people around here want them fo dirtcheap. So id have to be chosey. But theyd have to gone by the time theyare 12 weeks old. Hard to keep space when you are holding back fordecent pet owners to come along. :)

dixonsrabbitry wrote:
They are cute. But one problem. The nasty white gene Ivementioned the chins carrying on here, before, decided to rear its uglyhead with one of my verybest bucks, and an ok typeddoe.:( Hes one of my better show rabbits. So I can't cullhim. But I do want to keep a baby from this litter. So should i cullthe rest as meat or pets? Or sell as breeding stock as long as I letnew owners know about the white gene? Suggestions? I plan on cullingthe doe into my meat outlet once the babies are weaned.

What do you mean "culling the doe into my meat outlet"?? and "cull the rest as meat or pets?"

Please dont tell me you are going to kill it... Thats not nice, if thats what u mean by meat im going to cry!!

Yes that is what she means.

dixons, I really think its up to you. What about a compromise? Try tofind homes and if you dont then cull? I fully understand culling andhave no probs with it whatsoever.

Virginia

Rowena wrote:

dixons, I really think its up to you. What about a compromise? Try tofind homes and if you dont then cull? I fully understand culling andhave no probs with it whatsoever.

Virginia

What id other people have a problem with it?!?!?!?!?!? WHY WOULD YOU KILL THEM! IT DIDNT IT ANYTHING TO YOU!

Danielle-

This subject has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Dixonis not looking fora debate, and it would be nice if we couldkeep the discussion polite :)

Rowena wrote:

Virginia

yeah thats pretty much what happens with mine. If i dont sell as apersonal pet (to responsible people), or as a breeder, it eventuallygoes to a meat supplier. I can't keep every single one of them. And itsbetter and more responsible then chancing it ending up at a sheltersitting in a cage for the rest of its life. The doe though has to beculled. If Im getting white rabbits from her, then its best that shegoes where she can't be bred (or take chances of breeding)to producemore white rabbits. Its not a mean thing. Its more like a way of life.And with breeding you sometimes have to do those things, and cull outthe bad traits to make the breed better. :)

its just sucky that someone had to breed white rabbits into this breed a long time ago.

Dixon-

I think you know best what the market is for pet rabbits in yourarea.I know, of course, that you want to do what's best foryour rabbits.

It's a tough call, and my tender heart would love to see these babiesbe adopted as pets, but I would also hate to see any of them bred tocreate even more unwanted rabbits.

I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
Bring them to a shelter! They will alter them and give themto good homes... why would u kill a rabbit?
I really hope you are a vegetarian. :p

There aren't enough "good homes" out there. A breeder cullingfor meat if she has to cull and cannot find suitable pet homesthemselveswith a spay/neuter contractis much, MUCHmore responsible than a breeder dumping their culls in ashelter. She wouldn't be doing ANYONE any favors,there. Not even the rabbits. There are enoughabandonedrabbits in the shelters already who are alreadysocialized and accustomed to being pets.

I LuV MaH BuNs wrote:
Bring them to a shelter! They will alter them and give themto good homes... why would u kill a rabbit?

Yeah i think the local shelters would love me overloading them with purebred rabbits. i dont think so.

m.e. wrote:
Dixon-

I think you know best what the market is for pet rabbits in yourarea.I know, of course, that you want to do what's best foryour rabbits.

It's a tough call, and my tender heart would love to see these babiesbe adopted as pets, but I would also hate to see any of them bred tocreate even more unwanted rabbits.

I agree.

m.e. wrote:
Dixon-

Thats why ill only sell pets to people that are willing to spay andnueter. I will sell pet rabbits to 4-hers as show rabbits. But alot ofthose kids breed and raise their. which crosses them off too, when ihave so much better they could chose from.

Well, I don't think I need to tell you this ;)

But you sound like a very responsible breeder. You care aboutyourrabbits.I certainly don't envy you these kindsof decisions, and I know you will do what is ultimately best for them.

:)

I am sorry, I am new here but what kind ofrabbits are these, that white is unwanted? Wouldn't the sire be acarrier as well? Im not saying anything about the culling part butculling means many things and I have my opinions as well as respectother breeders. Are they Chinchilla rabbits? Just wondering why youwould be upset about whites. Sorry if I am intruding, justcurious.:cool:

Pam W.

Bunnybarn123 wrote:
I am sorry, I am new here but what kind of rabbits arethese, that white is unwanted? Wouldn't the sire be a carrier as well?Im not saying anything about the culling part but culling means manythings and I have my opinions as well as respect other breeders. Arethey Chinchilla rabbits? Just wondering why you would be upset aboutwhites. Sorry if I am intruding, just curious.:cool:

Pam W.

not really upset about the whites. But its something you dont want tosee in chinchilla breed. :) yes you are right. the sire would have tobe a carrier. bUt I was kinda surprised because the line i have beenbreeding in his background has never been crossed with a white rabbitthat I know of. Unless its something i didn't know about thats bred inway off the pedigree. The mothers side has been crossed with a whiteout of my own breeding a few years back. Cal/standard chinchilla crossbecause there was no other stock to breed to around here at the time. :)

This is a rarebreed. And the way I figure is the white gene is comingin from people that have heavily cross bred white rabbits into thebreed to boost the type, and help save it. It did it a good thing typeand colorwise. But now everyone is starting to see white rabbitspopping up may generations down the line. Which isn't a good thing forthe breed. Not something I like to see passed down to someone else.

White in chins is a dq, and can be passed on genetically. I could havehalf my litters turn up as whites. Or I could never see another whitebunny again for many years, or generations.

Another fellow chin breeder had some that were bred down from mine. Shecrossed them to another line thats related to my very original breedingstock. Half of one of her litters turned out white. Another guy thathas stock bred down from mine outcrossed to unrelated SC rabbits andended up with whites in his litters.

The chin breeders in illinious are starting to see whites turn up in their litters.

But my buck, even though hes aparently a carrier, I cannot cull. He'sthe best thing ive ever bred. And will actually be right up there whenit comes down to being one of the top animals in the shows.

Latest posts

Back