NIC in Australia?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with how hit-and-miss bunning's seems to be, I almost wonder if they're not only sold as a seasonal thing (like a back to school/cheap college shelving type thing)

A few months ago they had them in Bunnings up here but they then decided to only sell the solid sided wooden 'storage cubes'. Some people have found them in discount stores but it's hit and miss down here which is not nice :(

not nice at all!!

WAY too many storage cube grid manufacturers seem to have totally missed the memo that a shocking percentage of their total sales are to rabbit and guinea pig owners who use the grids for something other than their "intended" purpose!

Oh poopy well I will have to call them every other week or something, or maybe ask if they can call me if they get some in. They're also look useful for barricading the TV areas etc.

We used to have them at my Bunnings store (I work there) but they were ranged out. I think I saved the product code though so if I can find it ill do a search on the system for nsw stores to see if any have them in stock. :)

so out of sheer curiosity, I looked up what it would cost to ship you two boxes of grids (46 grids total; actual cost of $43.98 USD + sales tax)...

the "reasonable" option is USPS, at $182.41. Fedex and UPS both gave a quote of over $500! they must be high out of their freaking minds!!! I told them one box measuring about 15''x15''x14'' and weighing 34 lbs and THAT'S the prices they give me? I knew it would be too expensive to be worthwhile, but $500?? pure insanity.

We used to have them at my Bunnings store (I work there) but they were ranged out. I think I saved the product code though so if I can find it ill do a search on the system for nsw stores to see if any have them in stock. :)

Oh thanks a bunch, really appreciate it! ^.^

Imbrium, talk about insanity! That's just bloody ridiculous!

No problem, I'm not at work again till Friday, so it won't be till then.

Oh thanks a bunch, really appreciate it! ^.^

Imbrium, talk about insanity! That's just bloody ridiculous!

for $505.90 (the UPS/Fedex quote), I could buy - after sales tax - about 490 grids... which would make a 10 grid long by 10 grid wide by 5 grid high condo that included two extensive levels and a lid for a total of around 280 square feet of condo space (with the levels each being 2-3 grids high for lots of "head" space and room for boxes and toys. the total square footage of said condo would be approximately TWICE the total space my bunnies have now, which includes a 3x2x5 (3-level) condo and my ENTIRE living room fenced in for them... and would be 4.7x the minimum recommended space for a bunny or bunny pair that doesn't get any "out of the cage" time.

if, instead, you opted to use those 490ish grids to make a 2-grid-tall playpen with no levels, you could make a square pen that was approx. 61 grids long x 2 high on all sides (ie approx. 71 feet x 28''), netting you 5041 square feet of running around space, which translates to a bunny pen with 3.24x the square footage of my ENTIRE house.

just sayin'.

for $505.90 (the UPS/Fedex quote), I could buy - after sales tax - about 490 grids... which would make a 10 grid long by 10 grid wide by 5 grid high condo that included two extensive levels and a lid for a total of around 280 square feet of condo space (with the levels each being 2-3 grids high for lots of "head" space and room for boxes and toys. the total square footage of said condo would be approximately TWICE the total space my bunnies have now, which includes a 3x2x5 (3-level) condo and my ENTIRE living room fenced in for them... and would be 4.7x the minimum recommended space for a bunny or bunny pair that doesn't get any "out of the cage" time.

if, instead, you opted to use those 490ish grids to make a 2-grid-tall playpen with no levels, you could make a square pen that was approx. 61 grids long x 2 high on all sides (ie approx. 71 feet x 28''), netting you 5041 square feet of running around space, which translates to a bunny pen with 3.24x the square footage of my ENTIRE house.

just sayin'.

Now that's a bunny condo!

Ok, here's the deal. The old ones were ranged out, deleted, gone, vamoosed. However, looking into the Rubbermaid brand, on their website they have these storage cubes here, a pack of 12 grids: http://www.rubbermaid.com.au/products/storage/three-pack-storage-cube-set/ These grids are sold at Bunnings ($24.98 Rubbermaid has a ridiculous profit margin). However they are a promotional item, which means they can't be ordered in and are only allocated to specific stores, and once they're gone, they may be gone forever (unless they decide to make them core range). What this means for you is that you should be able to get them, you'll just have to ring around, they're also likely to be a product which isn't on the actual shelving, but is on a box stack on the side of the aisle so can be tricky to find in store even if they have them. Now, I should have done a store search for the fineline of the rubbermaid grids, but after searching the original code I had and finding the rubbermaid one, I completely forgot. So you will either need to ring around, or when I'm at work again tomorrow, I'll look up the NSW stores with the code. If you want to ring around, this is the code you will need, it's called a Fineline or Item Number: 2590149 They might be able to tell you straight off whether they have it or not, but you could also ask them to look it up on the computer.

I'm not sure if other department stores sell Rubbermaid, I should think they would since they're an international brand, on their website it says if you contact them they'll tell you which outlets stock the cubes, though you'll have to give them their product code which is under the product specifications tab.

Will let you know if I have any luck with the store search for the quantity on hand of the grids tomorrow. :)

Scrap that previous post. It must be an older promo product so there's no stock in any stores. Sorry about that if I got your hopes up. Your best bet might be to contact rubbermaid and ask who else they supply to.

Last edited:
not sure how recent any of this info is, but it's at least more places to look...

from http://guineapigsaustralia.com/grids.htm

Australia
Bunnings: Regularly supply grids in a 5 pack set with connectors. They are called Ibex Cubes. These grids are suitable for a C & C Cage however the coating is a thick white plastic which some guinea pigs may chew. May be quite expensive for only 5 grids. Cost: $8.49

Reject shop: These grids come in either white or black and are called "stack and rack". They come in a set of 23 grids with 24 connectors. Not always available, hence it is best to contact your local store to enquire. Cost: $29.95

Big W: Coloured grids are also available at Big W called "Wire Storage Cubes". They come in a set of 16 grids with connectors. Colours in a set include yellow, red, green and blue. Please enquire at your local store as stocks are limited and some stored have discontinued this line. Cost: $14.83

ALDI: Aldi stores at times stock grids as part of their weekly specials. They come in a set of 16 grids with connectors, Black, silver and white coloured grids are available. Cost: $19.95

New Zealand:

Payless Plastics: Multi coloured and plain grids are available. They come in a set of 16 grids with connectors. Please contact the store prior to purchase to ensure availability. Cost: $39.80

Online Stores

Deals Direct: Come in Silver or Black. Sets of 16 grids with connectors. These grids are mesh grids only. For further information please Click here for details. Cost: $29.95

Ebay: Regularly have numerous grids available for purchase from private retailers. Please ensure you check the width of the grid - always ensure it is below 3.8cm each space.

from RO a couple years ago:

http://shop.elimor.com.au/3pk-white-wire-storage-cubes---not-4999-296-p.asp currently has them, but it's $24.99 for 13 grids

also, this site doesn't have any listings that weren't in the first list I quoted, but if you strike out at all the stores above, you can try contacting them to see if they have more up-to-date knowledge.

Latest posts

Back