What do you feed your Angoras?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet_buns

Annette
Reaction score
I feed all my rabbits oaten hay, though i am considering switching because the seeds in the hay are forever getting stuck and twisted up in my english angoras fur. The places they get stuck the most are the top of his head, tips or ears (which are easy enough to remove), around his bum, his cheeks and under his chin.

The only other hay available to me here is meadow and lucern, so i was considering switching to meadow. I know many breeders here use either oaten or meadow so i assume that although meadow may not be as high in fibre as oaten, it's still a good hay to feed my rabbits.

Any suggestions?

Timothy is the best hay if you can get it, and meadow is probably the second best. Lucerne hay is alfalfa right? That's good for rabbits up to 6 months of age, but it has too much protein and calcium for older rabbits, so I'd feed your adult rabbits meadow hay.

I don't believe we can get timothy in this country. Definitely go with meadow, I'm told that it's better for them than oaten anyway.

Do you have concerns about wool growth on your angora? Are you trying to grow it out? If you are typically a higher protein diet lucerne/alfalfa hay would be best but doesnt help overall in the long term when we look at the health issues it can cause in older bunnies. However this hay usually has just as much small bits that will get stuck in hair. Not seeds but more the little leaves.

Otherwise any kind of grass hay will do. But again we want high fiber for a fuzzy like this especially to help move things along whenm they injest their own hair.

Yeah we can't get Timothy here. I believe we can import it, but it would be far too expensive with so many rabbits. I believe alfalfa and lucern are the same, it's really dark green, kind of crumbly leaves with a strong smell. I've been told only to feed it to young rabbits as you mentioned, and it's apparently good to feed mums too.

Oh i haven't heard that meadow is better than oaten, but i think i will give that one a go when this bale of oaten is finished.

No not concerned about growing out his wool, just trying to avoid all these sticky, barbed seeds from getting stuck in his fur. >.<

I use oat too but agree that the seed heads get into everything, but meadow hay is probably the best we can get in Australia. I get my hay from a horse place up here who gets it from Queensland, right now I'm feeding oat hay with a grassy lucerne hay (about 2/3 oat to 1/3 grassy lucerne). Just make sure that it's horse quality as cattle quality stuff is not as nice

Latest posts

Back