The Rabbit: An Unexpected Journey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet_buns

Annette
Reaction score
So i have this naughty "little" English Angora buck who thinks he's a stud and is always at the girls hutches when he's let out, trying to put the moves on the ladies. He doesn't have a bunk mate yet so he's always at the other hutches, trying to impress the females.

One day we decided that his hutch wasn't big enough and he needed new living quarters, so we decided to use pet fencing to create an enclosure (we used fencing for the roof too) and a small wooden kennel for him to use as his hidey hole when he wants to. It looked great and he now had so much room to walk around and stand up etc.

We tested to make sure it was secure and he wouldn't be able to escape. It felt strong and secure, or so we thought... until one day when it was time to check up on Merry, whose turn it was to run around for part of the day, i found Gimli mating with her! He had managed to pull a corner of the enclosure apart (which was bound by wire i might add, strong little bugger) and squeezed through so he could get it on with Merry.

Merry was never supposed to have babies and i did everything i could to keep them all separated (except for the bonded ones, some of which are desexed) but we underestimated the strength that English Angoras apparently have and as a result, we now have some babies!

Babies are normally a happy affair, and don't get me wrong, i am excited about the babies on the one hand, but on the other hand the pregnancy was unplanned and I didn't want Merry having any babies. 1 because i already have 5 rabbits and was not ready to look after babies, and 2 because she's 2yrs old now and has never had any.

I've been putting off getting her desexed because things just kept popping up and the money was going elsewhere, but after this experience I'm going to book her in ASAP because i don't want anymore accidental pregnancies. >.< Well, it wasn't so accidental as far as Gimli was concerned. lol

In all honesty, i thought that fertilization didn't happen because it has been about 2 months since the incident (im aware that gestation is normally 30 days but im 99% sure it had been well more than 30 days when she gave birth. I probably have lost count of the time that's really passed since their encounter, but it feels like more time has passed), but when i went to do the usual morning feed, water, clean litter trays and let whoevers turn it is out to play, i noticed something moving in the nest. I thought the nest was just a false pregnancy because she bunks with a desexed male and since it was 2 months since she mated, i never expected to see any babies from her. But when i approached the hutch, i could see something moving in the hay through the little opening in the nest box. I was terrified and excited at the same time, because i realised she'd had babies...

She allowed me to open the door and look inside. I didn't touch the nest or anything, just peeked inside to see if i could see anything without disturbing her or the babies but they were buried under hay and fur, so i left them alone until i got a chance to have a look after she left the room.

I moved aside the fur and saw all these different coloured, bald little things wriggling around. I counted 7 altogether, including 1 that i found near the entrance of the nest, exposed to the cold and away from the others. He was lifeless when i found him. So 6 remained, alive and somewhat healthy. I saw somewhat because there is a smaller and skinnier one who didn't seem to be getting much, if any milk. He wasn't as active as the others either.

Last edited:
Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 1 Day old

Here they are at 1 day old. Merry accidentally scratched them, so i cut her nails though im now worried that i might have made it worse since she hasn't had time to ware them down. But they are all scabbed and healing well so hopefully there wont be any new scratches. Is it just me or do they look quite big and hairy for being 1 day old?

in the nest 1.jpg

in the nest 3.jpg

Today i woke to find that the little one i tried to help by holding Merry down while it fed, didn't survive. I knew in my heart that it most likely wouldn't survive but i tried to give it a chance and hoped it would, but it wasn't enough.

So from the litter of 7, there are now 5 left. Or that's at least how many there were supposed to be, except that when i took them out this morning to check whether they'd been fed or not, i found 6. There was also a little bit of fresh blood on a piece of hay. Then it dawned one me. The one that i assumed had wriggled it's way out of the nest to virtually the other side of the hutch was never in the nest in the first place. Merry had given birth again.

Either that or i had miss counted. But I'd taken them out 4 times in 2 days and feel around the whole nest and always came back with the same number. I hope that this is all of them now though because i can only imagine that complications will start to arise the longer she delays having any that may be remaining. But she's very active, eating normally, her poops are a little smaller and darker than usual but i figure it's because of what her body has just been through?

Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 2 Days old

I tried to get individual shots but once again they WOULD NOT stop wriggling. So i got a couple shots of them all snuggled up. Little wriggling machines.

There is a chocolate! I've always wanted a choc bun! I think im going to keep it! I want to keep them all tbh, but i don't think i could go from 5 rabbits to 10/11 all of a sudden. So i told myself that i can only keep 2 at the very most and im going to try EXTREMELY hard to stick to that. lol

There's what looks to be 2 white ones, but one of the has a spot on its nose. Could it be a charlie? I don't see any spots anywhere else on its body. There are 2 that look almost silvery. It looks like they have some tan colour in the pic, but they don't in real like, they look totally grey/silver. And then there's the black one, well at least it looks black to me with a pink belly.

day2a.jpg

day2b.jpg

Well it's almost 9pm and the end of the bunnies 2nd day in the nest. I just checked up on them and they all have big fat bellies! YAAAAY! I can finally feel at ease now that i know for certain Merry is feeding them. They are MUCH rounder than they were yesterday and i read that sometimes mums wont feed the babies till a day after giving birth, though technically this is 2 days later, but at least i can go to bed tonight knowing they all got a nice big feed. Can't wait to see them again tomorrow. ^.^

Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 3 Days old

They're a little bigger and furrier today! I also discovered that the ones that looked grey in real life but like they might be sooty fawn in the picture ARE in fact going to be sooty fawn! Who'd have known the camera can pick up colours that the eye can't? Unless im just going blind.

I'm very interested to see what they're going to look like should they survive and become healthy, fluffy bunbuns.

Here are some pics on their 3rd day of life. How on earth do you get the babies to stay still so ou can take individual shots, or is that near impossible?

day3a.jpg

day3b.jpg

day3c.jpg

day3d.jpg

day3e.jpg

day3f.jpg

Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 4 Days old

It's day 4 and the babies are all alive and i believe healthy. They are getting hairier! They also started bouncing all over the place but their bounces were uncoordinated, it kind of looked like the way popcorn bounces when they pop.

day4a.jpg

day3b.jpg

day4c.jpg

day4d.jpg

day4e.jpg

day4f.jpg

Last edited:
Aww, they are so cute! I love them! I think its so cool that you named your buns after Lord Of The Ring (You did right?) I love those movies and the hobbit was great, I can't wait for parts two and three.

I did indeed! I love The Hobbit and LotR. I tried reading some of his other stuff but i just couldn't get into them like i could his most famous works. I will try again sometime though. I can't wait either! I watched the Hobbit 5 times. lol ^.^

I did indeed! I love The Hobbit and LotR. I tried reading some of his other stuff but i just couldn't get into them like i could his most famous works. I will try again sometime though. I can't wait either! I watched the Hobbit 5 times. lol ^.^

I love them too! Hahaha, you watched the Hobbit 5 times?! My brother who is obsessed with Lord Of The Rings and the Hobbit, watched the Hobbit with us like 3-4 times, lol.

Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 5 Days old

Apparently they had another bit of a feed sometime this morning cause their bellies are plumper than usual. Not as much as when they have their night feed, but plumper than they usually are at this time. Except for 1, one of the greyish torty looking ones doesn't look like it's fed at all. I'm sure they were all plump last night though. Maybe i mistakenly looked at the other one that looks like him/her twice. I read to give them a little bit of honey to help them get through till their next feeding, so i let it lick a drop off my finger. Hope that was enough, didn't want to over do it.

Here they are on day 5, all still alive, getting bigger, starting to jump and climb out of the little container i use to check them all out. A few of them kinda sat still so i could take individual shots. They're becoming aware of things too. I'm so happy and thankful that they're all still alive when i check them each morning. I know they're not out of the woods yet, but it's hard not to get my hopes up, im already in love with them.

010.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

Merry & Gimli's Litter @ 6 Days old

All 6 live to see another day, and what a beautiful day it is in the mountains. Apparently they needed to pee on me when i took them out for a check up and pics. But im used to it, a few of my brothers pee'd on me when they were babies too. My dad thought it was hilarious when the 2nd youngest pee'd in my face. The next day when he was doing that "pick the baby up and fly him through the air" thing pretending he's an aeroplane, he stopped, held him above his head and while my dads mouth was wide open, my brother vomited in his mouth. Gotta love karma. xD

001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

020.jpg

Aww, the babies are adorable! They really grow fast. They will be adults before you know it. Haha, that story about your dad and bro was funny!

If only they were babies forever! Then I'd have to keep them all without protest from anyone since i couldn't separate them from their mum. >.>

I'm "allowed" to keep 2, but im going to be sneaky and keep 3 (muahahaha). My cousin wants one so that means I'll only have to find homes for 2. That's assuming they all survive, still not out of the woods yet. Keeping everything crossed.

If only they were babies forever! Then I'd have to keep them all without protest from anyone since i couldn't separate them from their mum. >.>

I'm "allowed" to keep 2, but im going to be sneaky and keep 3 (muahahaha). My cousin wants one so that means I'll only have to find homes for 2. That's assuming they all survive, still not out of the woods yet. Keeping everything crossed.

Hahahaha yes! Not only would you get to keep them but they would always be babies, which would be fantastic as they are so adorable!

Yay, I would sneek as many as possible with out being noticed, lol. I'm pretty sure they will all survive, the mommy bun seems to be taking great care of them.

Hahahaha yes! Not only would you get to keep them but they would always be babies, which would be fantastic as they are so adorable!

Yay, I would sneek as many as possible with out being noticed, lol. I'm pretty sure they will all survive, the mommy bun seems to be taking great care of them.

Oh yes, that too! hehe

Yes she's doing an awesome job, so relieved because the whole ordeal was really stressing me out, then again i have a habit of making things seem worse than they actually are, worrying for nothing. Now I can relax and be excited!

I'm keeping Chewbacca, the choc bunny, one of the white ones (im going to be super thrilled if they open their eyes and one of them is a BEW! (I don't know if that's possible or not as i don't know much about genetics) and the 3rd will be either one of the torti ones or the chestnut. Can't wait to see what they look like in another week. ^.^

EDIT: I will probably keep the one that seems runty cause i have a soft spot for runty little battlers and needy animals. ^.^

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back