Ahem. Aaaaaaaaaa *deep breath* aaaaah!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briemommy

Reaction score
Brie's spay is tomorrow.

I cancelled her last appointment because I was totally not ready. The lady I made the appointment with told me I could take her in for a checkup with a vet before bringing her in for her spay at the local humane society if it made me feel better, so I did. The vet was the one who made me feel even more uneasy! He was NOT happy that Brie was not used to being handled and he looked like he was having a hard time doing so. He kept insisting that I practice holding her. I was ready to pay more than double to have her spayed at the private practice, but after the visit I was really afraid they'd drop and kill her. For time after that the debate was on loop in my head. Private practice? Humane society? Private practice? Humane society?

Well, between then and now, my boy dog suddenly died. My world collapsed, we're about to move soon so the time to find Brie a buddy is perfect, and she really is starting to drive us nuts with the nibbling and digging at our feet. I'm throwing caution to the wind. Her appointment is tomorrow.

Anyone spare some kind thoughts to ease this worried mommy's mind? :nerves1

You definitely have my very best of thoughts & prayers for Brie's spay tomorrow! Sorry I cannot give any bunny spay advice as my two does haven't had a spay appointment yet but did talk to my vet about it! I'm sure more experienced bunny parents will be here soon to give you more words of wisdom & comfort for Brie's spay. I know several people here have recently spayed their bunny! I will be following this thread to help myself to be prepared for my Faith & Hope's spays. Bunny hugs to you & Brie!

That vet is a little silly, just because he had trouble holding her, doesn't mean that she's not a bunny that can't be held. If yours is, then it's fine. But just because Bandit sits fine at my arms at home, doesn't mean he doesn't squirm and kick and try to get away like mad as soon as we get him out on the exam table at the vet, it's a completely foreign environment with new people, new smells and noises and I'm sure it's terrifying for them, and maybe there's some buns that are completely fine with it, but Bandit's not :p

Best of luck with the spay though, I'm sure it will be smooth sailing. Did you end up going with the private practice or humane society?

Accept that it is being done and have no fears, don't think about it just think about the logistical stuff as in what time to pick drop off/pick up and what's needed afterwards. As long as you've chosen an experienced organization feel secure in your choice and that they've done this before and will succeed again.

As for handling, you really should practice. I was a bit soft on that, I even have a thread somewhere about that actually, and my wife positively wanted me to be easier on handling but the breeders and Vets told me it was necessary and a good thing overall. Now I'm fairly good at handling my giants, I'm even practicing different holds and such, and even the wife has come around

A few things you may already know, but in case you don't. Don't fast her before the spay, make sure they give you metacam for pain management in the days after. I was given banamine, which made one of my rabbits feel sick and stop eating, when she was already eating and doing well before I gave her a dose of it. Also, ask the vet if he'll check her molars, and file down the sharp points if there are any. Since she will already be put under for the spay, it's a convenient time to have it done.

Best of luck with the spay :)

Y'all are awesome.

I just dropped off Brie, and tell you what- it was such a huge load off my shoulders. I've been stressing about this for months. Even before she was old enough to be spayed! I went with the Peninsula Humane Society and I feel like I made the right choice. The vet was able to help take a very uncooperative Brie out of her carrier (I've never seen her brace herself against the carrier opening like that before) and handled her like an expert, flailing and all. She even gave me pointers about handling and tried a few methods.

Something really cute happened at the exam table. When the vet stepped out of the room, Brie came close to me and put her front paws on the crook of my arm and stood up next to me. We stood there like that until she came back. All the time I was giving her scritches. That's the closest I've ever felt to Brie in our lives together so far. SHE came to ME for comfort!

I'm gonna nap now and then set up her recovery cage. Will update again when I go pick get up.

Sure everything will be fine and it´s not unusual for her to look for comfort to you in a strange enviroment, after all you´re her mommy and you´ll protect her from anything. But it is wonderful when they surprise you with things like that.

will keep eyes on here for updates.

I got my rabbit spayed in january, everything went fine! and believe it or not i let my vet tech class do it.well he anesthesia and monitoring but our school vet did the spay. and I was so nervous but it went totally fine.
things i can suggest are to have the vet gas her down instead of intubate because intubating a rabbit is quite difficult and can be the lead cause of any issues, ask for internal sutures so your bun cannot rip at her stiches, thats a problem i had!
dont use a cone afterwards because its too hard for them to eat/drink, if your bun is bothering her sutures, cut a sleeve off a sweater and make leg holes and tape around her abdomen, but make sure its not blocking her bum!

the hardest part was recovery for me :) im sure your bunny will do great!
best of luck and a smooth recovery! xo :bunnybutt:

IMG_1431.jpg

TADAH! I know, she did not look happy. But she always looks like that.

IMG_1434.jpg

Eating last night. :yahoo:

IMG_1446.jpg

Right now. Poor baby. She hasn't looked this comfortable in a while though.

Thanks again for all the kind words! I'm not sure how I'll be able to check her incision, since she's already trying to get out of her temporary cage, but we'll figure it out. Held the water bottle up to her this morning and she drank like a horse! Not too energetic today, but she's moving around, eating, sleeping, and grooming herself.

Glad to hear it went well, Brie is adorable :)

Something really cute happened at the exam table. When the vet stepped out of the room, Brie came close to me and put her front paws on the crook of my arm and stood up next to me. We stood there like that until she came back. All the time I was giving her scritches. That's the closest I've ever felt to Brie in our lives together so far. SHE came to ME for comfort!

I'm gonna nap now and then set up her recovery cage. Will update again when I go pick get up.

One of my favourite memories of my previous rabbit Hazel-rah, was when we were at the vet one time. The vet was handling him and he broke free and jumped straight into my arms, it made me feel really special that he trusted me and felt safe with me.

She looks great and glad to be home. I´m sure she´ll be back to normal in no time...she´s such a cutie, awww.

Hooray!!!!! Glad the spay is over! Keep up the good healing you two!!!!

Yay! Glad to hear she's doing well! I'm sure there was one big sigh of relief for you!

I knew I was freaked out before and after my Claudio's neuter so I understand your panic you had before, hope she's up soon and does binkys everywhere!! :D

Latest posts

Back