Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Bunny has dry skin and an ear growth - Please help

Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
PeppyBunny

Likes Given: 10

Default Bunny has dry skin and an ear growth - Please help

Hello,

Lately my 7 1/2 year old loppy bunny, Peppercorn, has been experiencing dry skin issues on his back and has been growing a strange small growth on the exterior tip of his right ear.

The skin on his back is flaking (looks like dandruff) and small clumps of hair have been falling off. This happened once before about 2 months back, but I was able to handle it with some skin moisturizer. It's come back however and I am a little concerned.

Also, The Growth on his ear started at about the same time as the first occasion of his dry skin. It's somewhat small and is growing outwards like a horn on the outside of his right ear. It looks similar to a type of wart I've seen before. Could it be a wart?

I am unsure on what is happening and can't help but think that both occurrences are related somehow. Could someone recommend a treatment or medicine I could give him? I can't afford a vet at this time, but I would like to help him somehow.

Thank you and much regards!

-PeppyBunny

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0425.jpg   IMG_0426.jpg  

Last edited by PeppyBunny; 02-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Rusty

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should post this in the infirmary page, you'll get more notice there.

Sounds to me like this could become a pretty serious situation if not treated properly. I understand that you can't afford a vet, but you might have to just figure out a way to get him there :/

Good luck!

Cheers.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
Rusty

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f22/fur-mites-10440/
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
missyscove
Christina - Moderator
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 278 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 36

What country are you located in?
Has your bunny ever seen a vet? I'm also concerned about the possibility of external parasites for the skin issues. Most of the mites that rabbits get can be treated by revolution (selamectin) but revolution is only available from a vet since it can be used agaisnt heartworms in dogs. You may get a vet to give you revolution without a physical exam if you tell them it's for a rabbit. Ivermectin can also be effective, but the dosage on that is a little trickier.

Can you share a picture of the growth on his ear?

I'll move this to the infirmary for you.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The fur on the back sounds like fur mites
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm
and the lump on the ear sounds like a papilloma or fibroma
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Fib/Fibroma.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Pap/Papilloma.htm

It would be good to have pictures, however. Also, sometimes the dandruffy-looking flakes will move if you watch them long enough--that is the mite carrying the piece of skin. It's not easy to see and doesn't happen all the time. It isn't hard to treat fur mites (unless you don't treat the environment and they consequently recur). The papilloma is probably nothing to worry about unless it doesn't look like the ones in the pictures. Other lumps can happen that are very bad, including carcinoma and abscesses.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
PeppyBunny

K, thank you. The link you gave me was quite useful, much appreciated! It looks like he has mites for sure. I don't know if i can get him to the vet though, both my parents are in and out of work and can barely afford other necessities. Cheers and thanks again!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
PeppyBunny

Thank you for moving this post to the infirmary, I am still learning how to work this site. I live in the U.S. and yes my bunny has seen the vet on multiple occasions. Twice for check ups, once for surgery, and the other time because he had caught an ear infection.
It does looks as if he has mites. I'll talk to my parents about calling a vet and trying to get the Revolution medicine. Is it possible to get the Ivermectin without seeing a vet?
I just posted 2 images of his ear growth, hope it helps!

Thank you!

Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
PeppyBunny

I am happy to say that compared to those images, my bunny's case for both problems are not severe. Though, for the papilloma, it doesn't look exactly the same and is on a much smaller level. Is there still a possibility that his growth is still papilloma? I uploaded a few pictures of his ear growth. I hope it will bring some light to the picture.

Thank you so much for your feedback, I already feel a little better about the situation.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It does look like a papilloma. It is pretty big, although not as bad as the ones on the pages I posted. It's pretty normal for bunnies to get these. In an older bunny, I wouldn't do much about it, unless the look bothers you a lot. They may be able to remove it/reduce it in size without putting him under general anesthesia, similar to having a mole removed. Anesthesia is a bit more of a risk and you wouldn't want to do it unless something was causing him distress, especially since he's a bit older. It's up to you though, since it is in a pretty obvious location. One of my bunnies has a couple of papillomas in her ears, but they are very small (mm in diameter), don't seem to bother her, and are on the inside of her lopped ears.

For the fur mites, ivermectin can be purchased at farm supply stores, a bit of math can be done, and it can be given. I however do not recommend this because some bunnies are sensitive to it, especially blue eyed and dutch bunnies, and one of my own bunnies ended up being sensitive to it after I gave him the drug. It is a neurotoxin and it was horrible to go through. He made it, luckily, but I can't recommend giving ivermectin unless a vet prescribes it. Not everyone has the same opinion. I can't tell what kind of bun you have, if it might have dutch or blue-eyed in its genetic background. Revolution is better tolerated and can be given to bunnies with fewer incidence of bad reactions.

It's probably best to go have the vet take a look at the papilloma and give you fur mite medicine, unless there's a really tight money situation.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
TinksMama

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm not too sure what the growth is, but I may be able to help you with the skin issue.

If Peppercorn does have fur mites, you can get rid of them with Diatomaceous Earth. You can find it at Tractor Supply for around $12 for 20lbs, they may have smaller bags, but I'm not sure. You use it just like flea powder (Leave it on over night though), but it's 100% natural and completely safe (even if your bunny eats it). DE works by smothering the mites, and ultimately killing them. Whenever I have to treat an illness or something with my babies, I do it as naturally as possible, since I've been doing this they almost never get sick.

If he just has dry skin, try using coconut oil as a moisturizer. It works so much better than commercial products, and it's also quite good for the skin. I use it for myself as a moisturizer and use it on my dogs' pads when they get dry and start to crack during the winter.

I have used Ivermectin before but if you do not use EXACTLY the right dose it can have serious consequences. Personally I will never ever use it again (and I encourage others to do the same). I accidentally gave one of my babies a very very slight amount over what he was supposed to get, about an hour later he got very lethargic and had seizures (He got bad enough I almost lost him), after that he always had the same reaction every time he got a dose even though it was the proper dosage. I have also heard of several breeders who lost half of their herds to allergic reactions. Ivermectin even in normal dosages is toxic to rabbits that are dutch marked or have the Vienna gene.

Last edited by TinksMama; 03-03-2013 at 08:32 PM.
PeppyBunny Likes This