Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > In Heat, On Cycle?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
briemommy

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default In Heat, On Cycle?

Can someone clarify the rabbit heat cycle for me a bit please? My inclination is to assume they get monthly "periods" like humans and dogs, but what do I know? Links would be helpful, if you have any handy. I like knowing about the natural behaviors of animals anyway. I haven't seen Brie bleed, but she roves us nuts with the figure eights and nipping. Pretty sure that's her in heat. One more month before the spay!

Also, sorry if this topic grosses people out, but any ladies here notice that your bun seems to have the same "cycle" as you? Or something that seems like it?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Rabbit do not have a heat cycle. They are induced ovulators, so the eggs are released when the mate. When you look at dogs or even people, the eggs are released and hopefully mating happens at the right time to fertilize the eggs. There can be times when a female rabbit is more hormonal and wanting to mate, but they can get pregnant are pretty much any time, extreme heat or cold can make them infertile for a short while.
Intact females can be very hormonal and it doesn't really calm down on its own. Spaying is really the only want to stop the hormones.

If you do see blood, that is not normal and needs to be seen by a vet.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
woahlookitsme
Task Force

Liked 437 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 706

Rabbits do not ovulate like we or other animals do. They are induced ovulators that release eggs 8-12 hours after the act of breeding performed by a male. They do not bleed either

Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
lauratunes12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Also, if your rabbit seems to have the same "cycle" as you, it could be that you are hormonal and she is picking up on your emotions and mirroring it. I know when humans are stressed, it can make bunnies stressed as well.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
ldoerr

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I agree with what the others have said. As a former rabbit breeder I learned that there are certain times when rabbits are more in the mood or able to breed than others. The way I would tell if a particular rabbit was ready to breed was to look at her "area". If it was DARK red or purple then they would just about always get pregnant. If it was pale in color they almost never got pregnant.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
briemommy

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the info!

I suppose Brie picks up on my hormones cause during that time she goes nuts with the figure eights at our feet and nipping. After that she settles back to her own self. She's also a lot easier to pick up during that time. Hehe.

Another reason I asked is cause someone mentioned their rabbit bleeding a lot more during spay because it was in heat. I kind of wanted to work around that time. :/

Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

Liked 74 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Everyone else has already said it all so I won't repeat. But, if you DO see blood ever, hurry to the vet, very likely would be uterine cancer.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
missyscove
Christina - Moderator
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 272 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm not sure how much background you have in things like estrous cycles and reproductive physiology in non-human animals, but this may be an interesting read for you:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/t1690E/t1690e05.htm