Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Homemade hay racks?? Please post your pictures!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
thetwobunnies

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Homemade hay racks?? Please post your pictures!

So I am desperate for a new hay rack! I currently just put the hay in the litter box and it often gets soiled and smells really bad after a day of it being soiled. Are there any threads with lots of DIY hay racks? I don't really like the NIC cube thing, because the cubes seem small and since I have holland lops it might be hard for them to get it out?

Any suggestions? I used to use a cardboard box (I forgot how I did it but it was great but too small, and now that I have 2 rabbits I would be re-filling it every hour!)
So please post your pictures, or perhaps other threads that have pics of DIY hay racks, or does anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
1357bunnylover

Rabbits

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I use small plastic bins and cut a hole near the bottom, it's easy because it has a lid that you can just take off when refilling and it doesn't go everywhere, and each bin only costs £1

You could also use these but take the brown thing out, you can get them for like £1 so they're really cheap too
http://www.ukgardenfencing.co.uk/aca...iner_small.jpg

Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
PwnzorsNTittylwinks
Rabbits

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

i use two of the drying racks for dishes (you can get them for a $1 at the dollar general or dollar tree) and then zip tie it together so its like a cube. stuff hay in it. and hang it from the top of the cage of the bottom of the second level.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
ldoerr

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think that you will find this video VERY helpful

. I use a wire basket for my hay in one cage and in the other I use a bent NIC grid. I do NOT like the NIC grid. The last couple of days I have been really lazy and just put the hay in part of the box. I know that someone on here uses a plastic bag holder from Ikea and it works out well. I have one but do not have a place to put it in my cage.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

Liked 74 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 143

Very helpful video, Lauren! I love how many things we rabbit have to go through before finding the perfect one-I've had to to try so many thins like that! #gottalovebunnies

Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Apebull
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 189 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Since Twigs isn't in a cage at all we don't use a hay rack. I smiple cut a gallon milk jug in half (yes I washed it first) and we put his hay in that. He can reach it in easy but he can also toss it easy if he feels like the hay in it isn't up to his standards lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
thetwobunnies

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all the ideas! And thank you for the video, I think I will head to the store tonight and see if I can find anything, thank you!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
roxyllsk

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Love the video ! I'm using a bent NIC panel that I've attached a piece of coroplast to the back and sides, with a small opening to stuff the hay in. I attach it to the NIC walls of my condo with snaps from Lowe's.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hay box idea and I think it's going to be my next project !

Old 02-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
yannikin

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HH3OJFh20sI
Ikea plastic bag dispenser for 99 cents.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
Toady

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I don't have pictures yet but I had a few spare small cardboard boxes, I taped one end and cut the flaps off the other end then cut a half section out of one side. Punched holes in the sides and tied it to the outside of the cage with the cut section to the top, stuffed it full of hay and they can pull it through the bars... saves them peeing on it when I stick it in on the floor of the crate.