Snuffles and debating neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeytonCara

Reaction score
I have a six, nearly seventh month old holland lop named Crixus. When he was only six weeks old, my doggy got a hold of him through his cage and scratched his nose. (I promise I'm not a bad bun mom, I took precautions before I brought my bunny home. I took off my closet door, put his cage in my closet and put a kid gate in front of it so the dogs couldn't get to him. I was cleaning one day and I had the gate down. My wiener dog came in and scratched him through his cage. I now have beefed up my security even more and I have a kid gate at the door of my room also so now she cannot even get in my room at all).

His nose healed up, but throughout the months it has never been dry. It has constantly been wet since he had the accident. (Always clear fluid, very watery) I am worried because I can't tell if my bunny might have snuffles, or if because the flap over his nose is missing it is more easily agitated and he feels like he must clean it a lot. He has no other signs, he sneezes very occasionally, but of course I am a worry wart when it comes to my baby. He drinks, eats, poops, and is very active but I know buns can be very good at hiding sicknesses.

I am just looking for opinions, I want to get him a check up soon anyways because I have been thinking about getting him neutered. I am obviously going to ask my vet about his nose a little but it would be nice to have some input from here. I know prices vary, but how expensive are nasal cultures or blood exams? I would hate to waste a huge amount of money if he is healthy, but at the same time I feel like it would be worth the peace of mind. I love him so much it is ridiculous. I am also very anxious about getting him neutered. I know it can benefit his health, but if anything bad happened I would feel so horrible. Any opinions on that would also be helpful. Thanks and sorry for the novel!

It all depends on the prices in your area for the nasal swab and blood work. I know prices here are very high here compared to other places.

For a nasal swab, it was $120 and blood work is, low end, $175. Prices can climb to over $350, depending on how in depth you want to go.

If he is young and healthy, I probably would not bother with blood work. We've only ever done blood work on one rabbit before it went in, for Buttercup, and that was because she was a 4 year old doe that spent 3 years of her life living on dog food, so we wanted to make sure everything was functioning properly. Since then, we have had over 20 done and, knock on wood, we haven't lost one yet.

It does not sound like Pastuerella to me, personally. Spyro has an ongoing problem with URI's, Patuerella and Bordetella, and it is by the recommendation of the vet that we do not get him done. Mind you, his nose gets very clogged with thick discharge at times and we merely keep it under control through various antibiotics, herbs and at one point, penicillin injections. But he's a more severe case. But his is definitely not clear.

It sounds more to me like something is irritating him, probably from the injury of his nose. I would say get the vet to listen to his lungs, get the vets opinion, and go from there.

I agree with the above. If the vet listens to the lungs and finds nothing wrong, it is probably mucus drainage due to mechanical injury and won't impact his anesthesia (which would be the main concern for the neuter) or turn into a life-threatening infection after the stress of the neuter (secondary concern).

Latest posts

Back