Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > House bunny - where does yours sleep at night?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
d0tti

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default House bunny - where does yours sleep at night?

So I am still relatively new to this house bunny business. At night, do you just lock your bunnies up in their cage?
Herman lives in the back room, with her hutch in there and the door open, so she has the whole room to herself with toys and tunnels etc. A little gate sits across the door of the room to stop her coming out. When i am home and awake...i let her have free run of the house, well the main rooms which are bunny proofed. When I am ready for bed, i round her up back to her room and shut the gate. Is this what everyone does, or do your bunnies have run of the house all night too?

I feel sorry for her being alone at night in the back room and wonder does anyone let their bun sleep in the bedroom? I'd love her to be able to sleep next to my bed at night (not that she would stay there, I'm sure she would be up all night roaming!)

Old 01-17-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
agnesthelion

Liked 229 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I do what you do. My two are free run during the day but at night they are "locked" up in their 3 story NIC condo. I feel safer with them contained at night

Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Spock

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Spock is out "unsupervised" for the majority of the day - he has his "room" and can also come out into the living room to visit/run around. He goes back into his cage at night (around 11pm, at the earliest). He is a recent addition to our houshold and is still getting to know the cats, so it's safer for him to be tucked in "bed".

He also goes into his cage during the day if we leave the house for a long period of time (more than an hour).

Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Apebull
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 189 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 274

Twigs has free run of our living room and dining room 24/7. For the first few months we had him we did lock him up at night, but once he was use to us and the rooms were 100% bunny proof he got to stay out all the time.

Knock Knock
Who's there?
Doctor
Doctor Who

Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Tam O Ham

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I work nights so when I'm not home, George is safely tucked away in her cage most nights. On nights when I do get to stay home however, when it's time to go to bed, she gets to come into the bedroom with me. Her cage is in there and I put it on the floor with the door open for easy access to food/water/litter box. She's also got an extra litter box in a corner she picked and the room is very thoroughly rabbit proofed. Then I shut the bedroom door, turn out the light and go to bed. George romps the room and when she's ready to sleep she either hunkers down on her Avengers towel under the bed or else hops up onto it with me and usually sleeps at the foot. She's amazingly well potty trained (which I blame entirely on her and take no responsibly for) so she never even leaves rabbit poop on the bed. I don't move when I sleep (I used to have a hamster cuddle against my stomach when I napped so - yeah. No rolling) so she doesn't have to worry about me kicking her or anything. I really enjoy it and she seems to as well.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
kaylicourt
Rabbits

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

She has free run of my room 24/7, absolutely perfect at using her litter tray and never chews a thing. Often sleeps on the end of my bed or in her bed (bought her a cat bed)

Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My bunnies are free-roaming all the time. We have two pairs, one in each bedroom of our 2bd apt. The bunnies in our bedroom sleep under the bed, on the rug, in their hidey house, in their carrier, in the litterbox, wherever they feel like it. They don't jump on us probably because the bed is too high. The other bunnies sleep under the futon in their room, on the rug, in their hidey places, etc. Most bunnies will jump on your face at night if you let them--I used to let Tony roam freely all the time and had a shorter bed, plus the futon is lower to the ground. Tony used to jump on my boyfriend nightly. I ended up getting used to it, but he couldn't. Our Big Bunny can make it to the top of the bed in our bedroom but forgets he can frequently, but once in a while he will jump up to wake us up.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
d0tti

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

She hates my bed, as soon as i put her on there she wants out! lol, i'd love for her to be able to sleep on the end of my bed with the cat

Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Moochyesh

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Marci is roaming the living room and bedroom area 24/7... She actually does not even have a cage right now...
Stanley is in his hutch alot of the time, He will be just like marci when he is nueterd =]

Old 01-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Blue eyes

Rabbits

Liked 333 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 549

Mine are locked in the cage for bedtime (usually 11pm or midnight).

Daytime they have the whole downstairs.

If we will be gone for a number of hours during the day (not often), I wrap an x-pen giving them a safer, limited area since Sapphire can be the determined barrier tester. (sorry about size of pic)