Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > how do I build an agility course?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Send a message via Skype™ to 12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle
Default how do I build an agility course?

I want to build an agility course for Snickers. He's.. really athletic. More like a mountain goat than a rabbit, really. He likes to climb up the walls of Truffle's cage and then jump vertically up into the box I keep their supplies in. I was thinking of mentally stimulating him by training him to jump, but I don't know how to get him to understand what I want him to do or how to build a course. What goes in a rabbit agility course? Is it anything like a dog course? Where would I buy supplies? Hobby lobby sells really long wooden dowels for 25¢, could I use those? And I don't know how to use any tools, other than a screwdriver that I use to change the needle in my sewing machine. Would glue work? Or aquarium sealant? I have a lot of sealant left over from the 30 gallon hexagon I found by the side of the road. I'm really hesitant to use any tools because I'm really really accident prone. I can't even navigate my way out of a room without hurting myself 90% of the time. Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Imbrium
Jennifer
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 584 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Send a message via MSN to Imbrium

I used a drill and a dremel to build my course... the only thing I needed the dremel for was to cut plastic cups in half to make the supports for the dowels on the jump... if you have film canisters around (what I was originally told to use but couldn't find), you might be able to get away with box cutters or an x-acto knife or something instead of a dremel, since the plastic is softer. you could probably use a hammer and nails for just about everything I used a drill and screws for. (for what it's worth, if you can get your hand on a dremel, you use pretty low RPMs for cutting plastic, like 10-15k, and if you accidentally brush the "cutting" wheel against your skin while it's spinning, you won't get hurt)

here's how I made my course: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f18/nala-gaz-70961/index29.html#post949514

as for getting them to learn it, I tried a harness at first but all that did was let me correct them after they went around something... then I set it up so there was a playpen right up against each side of the course and they *couldn't* go around and they started flying through it like pros. for the most part, you give 'em a little nudge on the bootie and they figure it out for themselves pretty quickly.

if you go to "groups" at the top, there's an agility group you can join, too

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Send a message via Skype™ to 12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
tamsin

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used cardboard tubes and chew sticks lol