Originally Posted by LunaBun
Thanks for your links... I love what you did. I wish I could trust Bun to be out more unsupervised. Perhaps in time. She's still young.
I also realized that I don't know what the wood is the cabinet is made of.....and am worried because its finished.
I agree with Jbun that the tape should come off. I know my rabbits would chew on it. As far as the wood finish, I had to consider the same thing. Since you have the mesh on the inside, they shouldn't be able to get to that part of the wood. If you use stick vinyl on the inside back, that'll take care of that. The floor, however, you may want to consider a sheet of linoleum. The square vinyl tiles may have gaps that will allow pee to seep through.
A prior bun I had tried to chew that 1x2 in the inside corner of my cage. That was finished wood. I bought some clear plastic corner molding and stuck that on (it comes with adhesive already on it, just peel the strip of paper off). That seemed to do the trick.
One of my buns just turned 1 yr and the other just turned 2. Is your girl spayed? With good bunny proofing and a limited area, she should be able to be let out. You can always start by using an xpen around her new cage. If you do decide to expand her roaming, though, I'd suggest you wait until you've completed her new cage and she's stayed in there exclusively for 48 hours. I've found that limiting them to their new cage for 2 days allows them to establish that new cage as "theirs." This makes it so much easier when you gradually increase their roaming area because they then take ownership of their new cage and see it as their space, their territory. (and they also go back readily to do their business)
You may also find you will have to modify once everything is complete. I originally had just the tile on the lower level. That worked fine for the first pair of buns I put in there. Later, when I got Mocha, he couldn't deal with the tile. He'd slip everytime he tried to get up to the 2nd level. (Sapphire had no problem). So I had to add a mat to the lower level (visible in 2nd photo).
Please do keep us updated with your progress. This sounds like such a fun project! Can't wait to see it complete.