Rabbit of the Month - Bambi

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Oxbow Immune Support tabs

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Oxbow Immune Support tabs

Has anyone else tried these?
I bought some yesterday for Acacia because she is 6 years old now and has been having on-off infections (I keep them under control) on her chin.

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=8411

They have a very herbal smell to them and at first bunny wouldn't eat them and I panicked because I just spent 12.99+tax on them and I don't have that kind of money as it is! But I left it with her and after a while it was gone. I cracked it in half and left both halves in there. This morning I gave her one, not cracked, and she took it and said her "thank you's" so she really enjoys them!

I'm just wondering if anybody else has experience with these caps or if they're a total waste of money.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

Liked 74 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 143

I haven't tried them yet, but am hoping to buy some soon. I guess I have the same questions as to whether they really help. If so, I definitly will go buy some. I saw their new different tablets and have been meaning to post a topic here so glad you did

Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Kipcha

Rabbits

Liked 123 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Well, I give a few of them.

Babbitty and Spyro have both had recurring problems (Babbitty with some infections, head tilt, etc. and Spyro with chronic upper resp. problems, bordetella, etc.) and with Babbitty, since getting them he hasn't really had issues and the ones he has learned to live with, they haven't gotten worse. With Spyro it's hard to tell because his infections are so deeply set that I don't think they had the strength to fight them on its own, he's currently on the tabs as well as a Chinese herb medicinal mix and we have his problems under control.

With Willow, he often experiences GI problems so he gets the digestive ones. He had been having some episodes and since he has been getting the digestive ones for a few months, he hasn't had an episode.

All of my rabbits receive the joint supplements from Oxbow and of course, since they are more for hopeful prevention rather then solving a problem, I really couldn't tell you if they were actually working or not.

Either way, I think they are mostly preventative so I really don't know if there is a way to tell. Mine just get it in hopes that it will help and keep things from developing rather then actually solving any real problems.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

Thanks
I am more into holistic approach so when I saw them I considered her chin and thought it couldn't make it worse! I always used holistic with my dog and yes, it's more of a proactive approach (supplementing with glocosamine at an early age for later joint problems).
Thanks for your input. I think I will look into online prices for the joint ones. Acacia, as I said, is 6 years old now. She is the oldest rabbit I ever had (partly because she is my first rabbit) so I'm not really sure what to expect. I supplement her timothy hay with alfalfa every now and then.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
gmas rabbit

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

I don't have Derby on the immune support, but put him on the papaya ones for fur balls. One of the side effects I have found is a such. Derby had pinworms shortly after we got him and we treated him with stongid. After about a week of being on the papaya tablets I noticed that he had the odd dead pinworm ( 2-3) a day on his feces. Now he has none. I went on line and typed in pinworms and papaya or bromelian and it is a natural treatment for them. Who would have thought??? Even if he is not passing fur I will keep him on one or two a day, not only a fur ball preventative, but to make sure them little wiggles don't come back.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

omg eww to the worms!! Glad things are looking better for that. Nothing grosser. (dealt with tapeworms in my dog a few years ago bc he got fleas off the stupid wild mice in the house and more recently we dealt with a bad parasite problem in our cat when we took him off the street last year)
I never tried the Oxbow papaya treats! I alway thought it was just papaya and things have an extreme high markup so they weren't cheaper than buying dried papaya at the grocery store. lol My bunny will eat anything xD

Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
missyscove
Christina - Moderator
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 272 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I picked up the digestive support and urinary support ones on my oxbow order in September. I get my oxbow at about half price through a program they have with vet schools and vet students so they only cost me $3.50 per container. I didn't really see any particular change, but they do seem to like them. I haven't had a chance to really do any research into the ingredients in them either.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

Thanks for the added input I guess we'll all have to wait and see any long term effects!! lol

Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
Imbrium
Jennifer
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 584 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Send a message via MSN to Imbrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acacia-Berry View Post
I never tried the Oxbow papaya treats! I alway thought it was just papaya and things have an extreme high markup so they weren't cheaper than buying dried papaya at the grocery store. lol My bunny will eat anything xD
in addition to papaya, the tablets have extra enzymes from papaya and pineapple added to them so that the ratio of enzymes to sugar is much better than fresh fruit

Old 12-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

Really?! Hmm... Something to think about for when her spring molt begins.