Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > My Rabbit will only eat pellets and treats

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Marshi

My rabbit (Marshi) refuses to eat anything except his pellets and hand fed treats (like apples). I tried to get him to eat hay and grass, but he won't have it! I stopped giving him pellets in the morning to get him to eat his hay during the day, but he just stomps all over it! The closest thing he's come to eating hay is chewing it through his front teeth and throwing it aside ! What do I do? Help Please!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
KittyKatMe
Banned

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When my rabbit was being stubborn about eating her Timothy, I gave her Orchard for a little while and slowly mixed it so she would eat it. Try giving him his favorite hay or stop feeding pellets alltoghether for a litlle while and just give him hay and veggies.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Imbrium
Jennifer
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 588 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Send a message via MSN to Imbrium

have you tried different varieties of hay? any type of grass hay will do, and there are plenty of them to choose from! oat, wheat grass, bermuda, coastal, orchard grass, etc. (if you use a cereal type (oat, wheat, rye, etc.), try to get some that's been cut early if possible - if not, you'll want to pick out the oats or whatever so that your bunny isn't getting too many extra carbs and calories)

you can also try keeping the hay very fresh (many bunns won't eat yesterday's serving of hay) and varying the ways you offer it. you can stick it in toilet paper/paper towel roles, put it in the litter box, tie it up in zipties and use a carabiner to attach it to the cage, use a manger, etc.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
JBun
Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 845 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I would try the different grass hays available to see if you can find one he likes. There's orchard, bermuda, coastal, oat (make sure it's early cut with no oat seeds in it). You can usually find the small bags of these at petsmart or petco. If your bun is under 6 mo. you could try alfalfa hay. They generally like that really well, but you'll want to start with small portions to make sure he adjusts to it ok,

I have a bun that I don't think was ever given hay before I got him. He would not eat hay. I cut his pellets back and he would sit there and starve til it was time to eat pellets again, even if he had a huge pile of hay in front of him. So I just had to stick with the pellets and always put a little hay in with him. He's started to nibble on it a little more, so that's an improvement.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
KittyKatMe
Banned

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thats what happened with CC. She would not touch Timothy, so we went the way of Orchard. Now, they are all on a mix of Timothy, Orchard, Oat, and Meadow grass hays. It gives them lots to choose from and sometimes they will eat it over pellets!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
BugLady

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Is it possible for you to get timothy hay from a local farm or farm stand?

If you have space to store a bale, it's much cheaper, and usually mixed with clover and grass which bunnies go nuts over. Just make sure it's not mixed with alfalfa.

A bale from a local farm stand cost me $7 (compare that to pet store prices!). The bunnies like to pick out their favorite pieces of clover, then gradually eat the timothy hay. The freshness and softness of the hay is wonderful, and it's not crunchy and dusty like pet store hay.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 547 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Send a message via Yahoo to Nancy McClelland

We cut pellets way down and it only took 2 days to get Peter to really go after his hay. Also added veggies and never gave him an increase in pellets.

Sometimes I feel like I'm running a fertilizer factory.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #8
mdith4him

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Our bunny, Nibbles, wouldn't eat hay either when we first got him. Someone suggested giving him the hay in a different way. We had hay in a hay ball for him, but then put hay in a paper bag. He LOVED it! He eats a ton now (although we've switched from the bag to a shoe box with a hold in it). Try giving the hay in a different type of hay container, too!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Marshi

Unfortunately, there are very few, if any, hay farms around Los Angeles. The horse barns around the area don't carry Timothy hay (or at least that I know of). I do give him grass clipping from my lawn (don't worry! there's not pesticide on it!) and nibbles it, but doesn't really eat much of it.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
Imbrium
Jennifer
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Rabbits

Liked 588 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Send a message via MSN to Imbrium

do the horse farms carry other grass hays? it doesn't have to be timothy. coastal, bermuda, oat, wheat grass, etc. are all just as good (though with cereal types like oat/wheat/rye you'll want to pick out any oats or whatever that you find so they don't get the extra calories/carbs).