Cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you guys like best for cages?

• NIC cages

• store bought cages

• hutches

• no cage at all

• xpen that is used as cage

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, I've made many NIC cages in the past, but I'm really happy with the most recent cage I made using an old oven cabinet. (my husband does kitchen/bath remodels) We had extra stuff (like a few spare pieces of tile) to use so I only had to purchase about $20-$25 of materials. I'm so happy with the way it's like furniture. It's only closed at night.

akil2t.jpg

2zrkg3b.jpg

Since this photo, however, I lost the white bunny. Now I have 2 more boys I'm bonding with Sapphire. They are all upstairs in an x-pen, still in neutral territory, but I'm anxious to bring them back here. I won't be able to close them in since I think it's too small for 3 bunnies.

I prefer NIC cages if a cage is necessary. Otherwise free roam for sure, it's much easier have them free roam. Don't have to worry about locking anyone away.. they're calmer throughout the day etc.

I voted NIC, but I've actually got a NIC/x-pen combo because free-roaming isn't an option at the moment and my house is too open to baby-gate them into a room - they've got about 70 square feet of run space plus a 3.5 story condo (there's a little landing between the second and third floors and it's one of their favorite sleeping spots).

if I had to pick one or the other (or if free-roaming was an option), I'd say I prefer NIC just because my bunnies (even the one that's not a big jumper) absolutely love having upper levels. Gaz had to be taught to use the levels, but she likes to follow/copy Nala so she spends as much time up high as Nala does.

I like NIC cages. I do not have the option of letting my rabbits out to run much. My rabbits do not get out to run but maybe 2-3 times a week each. I am just busy with school and my other animals. When they get out I try to make it for 1.5hrs but it normally ends up only being 1 hr. It is also only 1 that gets to run around at a time because they are not bonded yet. The area they get to run around in is my small kitchen, which is away from where I spend most of my time. My apartment is not suited very well to having rabbits. If I did not have my dog, the rabbits would probably get LOTS more free run time.

Sorry that I went off talking about something not having to do with the topic, and that I sound like a bad bunny mom.

Once my rabbits are bonded I will take out the devidor in their cage so that they have a 3.5x2x2 NIC cage. As it is right now they do not have any shelves in their cages for a number of reasons. 1)They got spayed recently so I had to take the shelves out. 2)When they had shelves Beauty had a shelf that went the width of the cage. It became next to imposible to clean from under the shelf. Shiny Things had a 1 pannle shelf. She ate the thing that was supporting it (cardboard). 3)I was going to get some PVC pipe to make a shelf support this weekend but got busy with other stuff.
I will be adding the shelves back into their cages soon. (Shiny Things got spayed only a week ago).

When I move to a new apt next year I am going to pick one with the rabbits in mind. (That is what I was doing this whole weekend, researching apt.). One of my bigest criterea for a new apt is that it has to have big open areas that I can let the animals have. When I move the rabbits will HOPEFULLY be upgraded to a bigger cage.

Sorry that this has been a supper long rambling post :)

Latest posts

Back