storing food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovepets

Reaction score
how do you guys store your pellets? i keep mine in the bag and put 2 of the large bag clips on the top. i want to get a container but i dont know where to get a goo sealing one... :?

I've seen food storage containers of all sizes. Pet stores & Tractor Supplyalso offer all sizes in the dog /cat areas. We keep our 50# bags in a metal trash can and it stays well in there.

Pet stores will sell airtight containers intended for big bags of dog food if you're buying big bags of pellets. I don't buy bags bigger than 5 lbs since I only have the one rabbit. I have a container near his cage which I scoop a smaller amount of pellets into and I leave the rest sealed in the bag with the zipper.

I buy 50 lb. bags at a time, which fit best in a large Rubbermaid container. They don't seal tight enough to keep food for a LONG time, but it usually just takes 2-3 weeks for us to go through it so it works well for that. Smaller storage containers would work for smaller amounts, if you have any sitting around. The most important thing is that they stay cool and dry.

I have ours in a wicker basket. We order from Sherwood and it comes in a huge plastic bag. I just slip the bag into the basket and it's ready to go! I've never had a problem with it getting moldy, smelling funny, or anything else. I get about 25 lbs at a time and it lasts us about 2 months.

I keep Cosmo's food in a plastic barrel like what cheese balls come in. I don't have the lid anymore so I just use foil. It keeps pretty well since I don't buy the HUGE bags. The bags I buy (idr how much they weigh) usually last us about 2 months or so.

I put the pellets into a container (a general food storage plastic type one) and use those on a day to day basis. The rest of the bag is sealed up and put into a bin (my dogs will try to get it if it's not put away). For the 50 pound bags, I portion it into large zip lock bags and store those in a bin.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I put the pellets into a container (a general food storage plastic type one) and use those on a day to day basis. The rest of the bag is sealed up and put into a bin (my dogs will try to get it if it's not put away). For the 50 pound bags, I portion it into large zip lock bags and store those in a bin.

That must use a lot of ziplock bags! I guess you reuse the bags. Just curious, how long does it take you to get all the feed into bags?

i will look for containers in the pet stores and at tractor supply. i get the 25# bag of food so hopefully there will be a medium sized container :)

thanks

you could get something like this:

13794483.jpg

We use ours for bread, but it could obviously be used for bunny food :)

I use one of the tupperware things meant for cereal and such to keep the pellets I'm actively feeding. with the rest of the pellets (I buy the sherwood forest food in bulk), I divvy them up into gallon ziplock bags (fills 3 1/2 when I first get a delivery of food), squeeze as much air as I can out of them and keep them in the refrigerator so they stay fresh longer.

majorv wrote:
Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

That must use a lot of ziplock bags! I guess you reuse the bags. Just curious, how long does it take you to get all the feed into bags?
They are larger ones, and it's about 9 per 50 pound bag. I am not sure how long it takes, but I do sift out the dust as well. I only buy one bag at a time and it lasts a few months.

i am going to the pet store tomorrow, so i will look for containers, and if not i will get some zip lock bags and start bagging :)

The containers made for keeping breakfast cereal fresh work great. Something like that is most important if the pellets are kept where it's humid in the summer. I got a 10-lb bag of pellets, filled up 2 containers & used the pellets that didn't fit, first.

Latest posts

Back