Rabbit of the Month - TBD

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > What to do and what not to when if your bunny escapes (outside your house)

Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
Bville

Liked 158 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 50

We have one of those live animal traps, I think it's called "have a heart", that we bought a long time ago to try and catch some critter that was getting into our attic and I have thought that it might come in handy if any of our rabbits ever escaped. I would be a little worried though that if they did trip the door that the sound of it slamming shut might scare them to death. I would probably put that out as well as put out food in an open exercise pen or something and still do a search around the house and neighborhood.

Luckily, my rabbits have never escaped. I have carelessly left the door of the exercise pen open a couple of times with the same rabbit, Smokey. Once he was in the garage with the door closed and the other time he was on our deck so he was not out in the open per se. He had a little adventure sniffing around outside the pen, but he was exploring very slowly and cautiously so I just approached him slowly as well and he either went back in the pen by himself or I was able to pick him up.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #22
Bindi
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I've had a few accidents in the past... Oren used to be easy to corner thankfully, especially after he lost his full eyesight. Pandora not so much... she used to hide in a big bush and if you went one way, she'd go the other. Thankfully Mattie hasn't escaped so far, although he's tried it a few times!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
lovelops

Liked 362 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 2957

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldoerr View Post
We used to let our rabbits run around the yard when we were out there watching them. One of the times we let them in the front yard to run. Tiger was a crazy 6month-1.5yr old at the time. When it was time to catch them to put them back in their cages, Tiger did not want to go. We tried to catch her with a BIG fishing net. She ran under my neighbors parcked car and would not come out. We ended up having to use a pole to push her out from under there and then net her. It took at least 1 hr to catch her. She was the best rabbit that I have ever known. I really miss her. (My dogs killed her early this year).

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear that... I hope you did something to your dogs. My dogs try to mess with my rabbits and if they do they are getting a can of whup ass..

vanessa

Old 02-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
lovelops

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryng View Post
I never had any experiences with escaped rabbits. The closest experience to a rabbit escaping was my encounter with what was 99% chance a "throw away" rabbit.

My mother used the flower beds in front of my condo as a vegetable garden. One day she saw a rabbit nibbling away at her vegetable. She told me about the rabbit.

I came out and approached the rabbit. The rabbit didn't make any attempt to escape as I approached, so I picked it( I never checked bunny's sex) up.

The rabbit was a very healthy weight and it seemed very very healthy and active. I brought the rabbit inside my house. This happened around 8 am.

My first thought was that this might have "escaped" from it's owner. I made "found rabbit" paper posters and posted them on around my condo complex.

Around four pm I realized that this rabbit was most likely (99%) a throw away. The time I "caught" the rabbit was in the height of the recession a few years back.

I called animal control and animal control came at seven pm to pick up the rabbit.
That's too bad you didn't keep it. It seems like it had a nice temperment..

Vanessa

Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
lovelops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_bunnys View Post
It simply cannot ever happen here. We are infested with hawks. They stalked my Mini Rexes thru the sliding glass doors so often we have to put up shades.

All Buns are indoors!
Same here... We have red tailed hawks here, owls, feral cats, everything... you name it. The hawks were stalking my smallest chihuahua's one time. I had to go out with a baseball bat to drive the owl away. I had a friend whose Chihuahua was carried off by an Owl before and am not going to have it happen to any of my pets.

Vanessa