Rabbit of the Month - Teddy

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > What to do and what not to when if your bunny escapes (outside your house)

Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Peanut DID NOT ESCAPE in any way .

With that said, does anyone have any advice to offer on

1) What to do

2) What NOT TO do

in the nightmarish situation of your rabbit escaping outside of your house.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Blue eyes

Rabbits

Liked 304 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 491

This may sound simplistic, but just don't let it happen. I've had many rabbits over the years, but never had one "escape."

Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I never had any experiences with escaped rabbits. The closest experience to a rabbit escaping was my encounter with what was 99% chance a "throw away" rabbit.

My mother used the flower beds in front of my condo as a vegetable garden. One day she saw a rabbit nibbling away at her vegetable. She told me about the rabbit.

I came out and approached the rabbit. The rabbit didn't make any attempt to escape as I approached, so I picked it( I never checked bunny's sex) up.

The rabbit was a very healthy weight and it seemed very very healthy and active. I brought the rabbit inside my house. This happened around 8 am.

My first thought was that this might have "escaped" from it's owner. I made "found rabbit" paper posters and posted them on around my condo complex.

Around four pm I realized that this rabbit was most likely (99%) a throw away. The time I "caught" the rabbit was in the height of the recession a few years back.

I called animal control and animal control came at seven pm to pick up the rabbit.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
iLuvMyLilBuns

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts

My 17 month old female holland lop rabbit has escaped 3 times. She lives outside in a hutch with a playpen attatched and we live in town.

The first time part of her playpen fell through and she escaped but we found her safely in our shed. The second time it was an extremely windy day and the top of her hutch blew open and she jumped out. I found her safely behind my neighbors house in a wooded area. The third time the wire on the bottom of her hutch fell through and I found her safely in the wooded area like the time before.

All the times my rabbit escaped I freaked out. What if an animal had hurt her? Or traffic? So many thoughts were going through my mind. I am blessed that nothing happened to my rabbit. Just so you know, rabbits don't run away. They will usually only go a few blocks from home or stay in the yard. My advice to you if you bunny ever escapes is to calm down and take a breath. Look around your home and decide where you think your rabbit might of went. For me I got my whole family together and we searched for my rabbit. If you have any family/friends to help you that would be great. They can help keep you calm and also find your bunn faster.

Also my rabbits are very tame and when im outside with them they will run around loose and they don't leave my yard. It just takes patience to teach your lil bun where he lives. I wouldn't be worried about taking your rabbit outside as long as you have control over them My rabbit didn't go far when she escaped and it could of been because she is very tame. So if your rabbit escapes she might wander farther because you don't take her out in the fresh air and sunshine.

I have fixed up my rabbits hutch/playpen because it was not good that she escaped so many times and I didn't feel comfortable. It happens and don't feel bad if it does. Mistakes happen. My bunn hasn't escaped in a while and I hope that she doesn't ever again

My advice is if you keep your bunn outside keep the hutch/cage very sturdy so the rabbit cannot escape. I don't have much advice for keeping bunns inside but im sure it's about the same as keeping them outside

I hope I don't get any rude comments aboout keeping my bunnies outdoors. Just so you know I am very aware and take precautions. I'm always checking on them because I would hate for either of them to run off

Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I know what you're talking about. I had my last rabbit, Peanut, for three and a half years.

I only took Peanut outside of my house for around six to seven times the whole time I had Peanut. I planned every outing meticulously as I was terrified of an escape.

Peanut never escaped.

I agree with poster that said mistakes and accidents do happen. That why I started this thread.

I do with Blue eyes wrote:

Quote:
This may sound simplistic, but just don't let it happen. I've had many rabbits over the years, but never had one "escape."

Old 09-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Does anyone else have experiences like iLuvMyLilBuns and mine (with throw away rabbit) where a tame escaped rabbit just allow you to approach it and pick it up with no resistance?

I wonder if this is the norm for escaped tame rabbits?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
Blue eyes

Rabbits

Liked 304 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 491

larryng wrote:
Quote:

in the nightmarish situation of your rabbit escaping outside of your house.
This sounded like you keep your rabbit indoors and worried about it escaping to the outside. Is that the case or is yours already outside and you were referring to situations Kylie describes?

I do know that our local rabbit rescue is often called in to "rescue" a throw away rabbit. Sometimes it can literally take them hours and many people to round one up and catch it.

If yours is kept indoors, it should be virtually impossible to escape out the house unless one routinely leaves their door wide open and it becomes curious enough to venture out. An indoor rabbit isn't typically going to dart out into the unknown outdoors the way a dog might the moment a door is open. They prefer the safety of their familiar surroundings.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

All my buns live in indoors.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #9
nc_bunnys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It simply cannot ever happen here. We are infested with hawks. They stalked my Mini Rexes thru the sliding glass doors so often we have to put up shades.

All Buns are indoors!

Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #10
larryng

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My original intention of starting this was to ask other members was my experience of just picking up the throw away rabbit with no resistance at all the "norm".

First, I would like to say EVERY rabbit is an individual and individual responses vary from rabbit to rabbit.

Every escape situation is DIFFERENT. Every rabbit will respond somewhat differently under a escape situation.

Escape prevention is the key.

Once a rabbit does escape there is NO BLANKET RULE that will apply to every situation.

I came this conclusion by reading the responses to this thread.

The end.