What's your litter of choice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRiley

Reaction score
What do you like to use in your bunny's litterbox? I'm using carefresh, which I've been told many times is a good choice because it's recycled and won't harm my bun, but the downside is I can't really "scoop" the soiled bit and it's expensive to keep replacing.
What do you use and how do you keep costs down?
Thanks for the advice and input!

I use Kaytee Soft Granule Blend. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JLPIWU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20. I LOVE it. My rabbits LOVE it. To clean it I use a cat litter scoop to scoop the poop/pee out. Every week or 2 I replace all the bedding in the litter box. A 27.5 liter bag will last a VERY long time. Sometimes Amazon has it cheeper than Petco but the reverse can also be said. I have NO complaints about using it. It REALLY helps with the smell. I want to try the mint scent and the lavender scent as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wood burner pellets are a cheap litter solution. About $5 for 40 pounds. They last a super long time and really cut down on smell. Before that I used the shred old newspaper & paper in my shredder and use that. It had to be changed more frequently, but is environmentally friendly and free!

I use wood pellets and love them. I can scoop out the wet stuff and use a grate to keep most of the poop out of the litter. It is cheap (about $5 for 40 pounds) and a bag will last me a couple months with 7 rabbits. One downside is that it is a more seasonal item, so can be harder to find in the summer, so it's good to stock up when it is available.

I use this wood type of litter.. but I don't know what it is called. I got it cleared by the vet that it is okay to use. It's for cats originally. It's like saw dust but it's not dusty or anything. I usually put a layer of that on the bottom and some shredded paper on top. It's easier to clean up that way.

I used care fresh but I can't afford it. :p

I use horse stall bedding wood pellets, which is the same thing as the wood stove pellets but easier to find all year. I pay $6 for 40 pounds. It is basically very fine multch so I dump dirty litter boxes right into my garden and flower beds- multch with fertilizer added! No waste and the plants love it. I water with my dirty fish tank water too. Now if I can just find a use for cat poop....

I use the litter called yesterday's news, i think there's 3 different kinds, i use the one for small animals.
looks somewhat like pellets! but works great.

If you have a store called grocery outlet, they carry a big huge bag for 6.99, im sure you can find it in many pet stores and online.

I use Carefresh colors and natural, whichever one is on sale. Just a heads up petco is having a sale on it (which is the only time I buy it) buy one get one free. Plus free shipping if the orders over 50$

Yesterday's News on top of some actual newspaper or paper towel. It keeps the smell down, and it's easy to clean up after. It's recycled newspaper and it's safe and non-dusty. My grandmother even swapped to it for her cat and he's far less stinky now too!

I use pine pellets that are for horse stalls. It's really cheap and lasts a long time. It also keeps the smell down very well. I don't have to change the litterbox so often. I got two 40 pound bags for $5 each, and it's going to last me forever since I only have one rabbit.

Ditto Christine and Kate! Wood stove pellets are what we use and I love them. As they both said, $5 for 40lbs. There isn't anything much cheaper than that. They really cut down on the smell and is easy to scoop the pee out.

I used to only use the wood pellits but now hate them. To me they do not help with the smell as much as I would like. I feel like I have to dump the litter box every day for them not to stink. It is also harder to clean up. That is just my oppinion on them. I know that everyone else likes this.

I use aspen shavings. I get a huge bag and it lasts me about a month with two bunnies. It costs me $30 a month. I do dump their litter boxes everyday, scrub with vinegar and water and then replace with fresh shavings. If I don't clean them completly out everyday, they smell!

I wanted to start using the carefresh or a similar brand but I'm scared my bunnies will eat it. There is a note on the carefresh bag that says to not let bunnies eat it or if they do, to consult a vet. Does anyone else share this fear?

As well, I was told that pine and aspen shavings are not good for bunnies because of the oils. Anyone else heard this?

ldoerr wrote:
I used to only use the wood pellits but now hate them. To me they do not help with the smell as much as I would like. I feel like I have to dump the litter box every day for them not to stink. It is also harder to clean up. That is just my oppinion on them. I know that everyone else likes this.

Yeah I'm a bit obsessive about cleanliness. I clean Agnes' litterbox twice a day. I have no idea what it would smell like if I didn't clean it everyday so I can't attest to that.

Woodstove pellets. $5 for 40lbs. I have found that keeping the pellets spread thin in a larger box does help with the smell since they can dry out. If they stay clumped and wet it can be an issue. As long as it is changed every 2-3 days it seems fine.

Aspen shavings worked terribly for me. It didn't cover up the smell of the urine at all and I had to change it daily.

I'm using a litter from Petsmart that is made out of recycled paper.

My favorite is All Pet Pine, but it's not available in my new city. I'd have to order it.

Back