I found 2 of baby Rabbits Outside Of The Nesting Box?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love.the.bunnies

Reaction score
This morning I went to check on the kits. When I realized only 6 were there. I checked the cage, and 2 where by the food bowl. They don't seem like they've been fed very well. What Do I Do?
P.s. Their Only 3 Days Old.

Direct them back into the box. See if Mom will feed them again. Babies do venture even at that young age. Good for you for really watching them. That could have been a sad story if you hadn't been so vigilant.

It's OK to put them both back in the box. I don't think there will be a problem with the feeding. Mom will get them next time. But hopefully someone who has more experience in this area chimes in.

Good Luck.

K:)

If they're in a nestbox with a lip then they may have stayed latched onto Mom when she jumped out. I found a one day old kitout of the nestbox the other day. Young kits can miss one day of feeding but they can't miss two. Just make sure they get fed whenever she nurses today or this evening. If they aren't in a box you'll have to be extra watchful.

Same two holding on for extra drink? Poor babies. I guess once they get stuck outside the nest box until you get there to put them back in, it could be a bit cold which is then making them weaker?

Any suggestions out there to stop kits who love to hold on to Mom's nipple, stay in the nest box?

K:)

I'm wondering now if they're even getting any milk. Twice out of the box could mean they're hungry. We had a litter where the Mom stopped nursing the whole litter. We didn't realize it at first, but we kept finding young kits out of the nestbox. We finally noticed that they were getting thin. If your two little ones are looking thin then you need to get Mom and see if you can get those two to nurse, without the others around. It doesn't take long for them to become too weak to nurse if they're not getting enough.

They were getting skinny. :( but I had mommy nurse them, and I bottle fed for a couple days. One is back on his feet and healthy. And the other one is getting there. :)

Back