Rabbit of the Month - Lati

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > sick lion head (RIP)

Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
rabbitrookie

hi last night someone dropped of a "6 month" old albino lionhead with us about 2 hrs ago it started twitching its head and then started flopping around in its cage now its head is tilted and its fron legs are spread apart and is clicking its teeth for about a min or two at a time the vets are closed until tomorrow just wondering if any one is familair with these simptoms the previous owners are saying that thius has never happened before

Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #2
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

Liked 73 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Try rolling towels around the sides of a carrier, and laying the bunny inside. Its critical that she doesn't roll, as she could easily get a life-threatening injury. Be sure she's eating/stays hydrated and get her to the vet ASAP. It could be a number of things incluiding E. Cuniculi, or a middle or inner ear infection. The tooth grinding means she's probably in a good bit of pain. When one of mine had head tilt, we stayed up night with her to hold her and keep her from rolling. How bad is the head tilt?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
rabbitrookie

pretty bad one eye completly faces the floor

Old 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
rabbitrookie

not sure how to get her to eat or drink we have tried holding the water bottle to make it more convenient but she wont take to it as far as food she isnt responding to that either ive never seen this before and have raised rabbits for quite some time i'm stumped

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

Do you have any 1 mL(or bigger) syringes etc? Eyedroppers? Syringe water into her. Its critical she eats and drinks. Do you have any Oxbow Critical Care? THis is what we had to use when my rabbit had something very similar and it helped tons.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'm so glad the poor thing is in your care now. The previous owners obviously weren't taking good care of him/her.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
Bunnylova4eva

Rabbits

LakeCondo wrote:

Quote:
I'm so glad the poor thing is in your care now. The previous owners obviously weren't taking good care of him/her.
It's possible it is caused by an ear infection, which you can easily be unaware of until the rabbit starts having head tilt etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
ZRabbits

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Quote:
LakeCondo wrote:
Quote:
It's possible it is caused by an ear infection, which you can easily be unaware of until the rabbit starts having head tilt etc.
Definitely true. Neville's head tilt was an inner ear infection which came "out of the blue". And that bunny was watched 24/7 with no symptoms until that day. Antibiotics cleared up the inner ear infection and a month later, Neville is level again.

K

Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It would be quite a coincidence if it happened for the 1st time within hours of the rabbit's changing hands. Not impossible, but improbable.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
ZRabbits

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

LakeCondo wrote:
Quote:
It would be quite a coincidence if it happened for the 1st time within hours of the rabbit's changing hands. Not impossible, but improbable.
You would be surprised how stress also brings on these conditions. Bunnies hide a lot because they are prey animals. Owners and breederssometimes can't tell.

Kreacher was rolling in less than 24 hours after I got him. Neville was fine in the morning and 12 hours later, his world was spinning out of control. (He was with me for more than a month)

K