Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Rescue Me! > Rescued cottontail bunny as a pet?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Stacy-MO

I rescued a newborn cottontail bunny from my yard when my dog found and killed 5 of the 7. I rescued two, one died. The bunnies were hairless, I'm guessing I got them at 1 day of age. "Clover" is now almost 3 weeks old and thriving. I have given this bunny formula, probiotics and centropes, the whole 9 yards. He is now taking formula twice a day and eating greens. Our intent was to release but he is very tame I'm afraid he would be killed immediately. He is also half the size he should be. We are thinking the only chance of survival is to keep him as a pet but of course I keep reading that this is not a good idea. Can this be done?

He (I think it's a he) crawls in my hand every time I hold it out, licks me like crazy, we are obviously in love with this little guy.

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 04-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
saidinjester

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard its not a good idea - but I think in rare cases it can work. I watched some videos on youtube of different people with pet cottontails. In my opinion, you have to just see how it goes, he may seem tame now and then not so much as he matures. Or you could have a rare case when he could end up as a pet. I think only time will tell.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
caustin4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My boyfriend has a cottontail as a pet rabbit and he seems just like any other pet rabbit. I think a lot of it has to do with handling them at a young age. His rabbit is quicker, more agile, and has more "rabbit street smarts" than other rabbits, but loves being kept as a pet. The cottontail is way friendlier than his other domestic rabbit. If you wait too long to release the rabbit his chances of survival will decrease enormously. He will be to used to life as a pet and will not be able to fend for himself in the wild.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 215 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It kind of sounds like he may be a domestic rabbit. Rabbits are born naked and start to get fur a few days after birth. Hares are born fully furred. There are domestic rabbits who have the 'wild' colouring, so it can be a bit confusing if you don't know too much about the differences.

Do you have pictures of him? It would be much easier to try to determine if he is actually a hare or is a rabbit.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
EileenH

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a wildlife rehabber, and know enough by now that I can't talk people out of doing what they want to do.

I will just never understand why people want to keep a wildrabbit as a pet, when it deserves to be wild, when there are soooooooooooooooo many domestic rabbits sitting in shelters that would just love to have a home, and probably will never get one.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Elliot
& Carole

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 94

EileenH wrote:
Quote:
I'm a wildlife rehabber, and know enough by now that I can't talk people out of doing what they want to do.

I will just never understand why people want to keep a wildrabbit as a pet, when it deserves to be wild, when there are soooooooooooooooo many domestic rabbits sitting in shelters that would just love to have a home, and probably will never get one.
Then you should also realize that at some point ALL bunnies were wild. It isn't like she went out looking to get one from the wild. This baby needed a home and someone to care for him as much as any other bunny. This wild bunny did not have the normal ability to learn from his mommy and siblings. ...just my 2 cents.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
LindseyG

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:

Quote:
It kind of sounds like he may be a domestic rabbit. Rabbits are born naked and start to get fur a few days after birth. Hares are born fully furred. There are domestic rabbits who have the 'wild' colouring, so it can be a bit confusing if you don't know too much about the differences.

Do you have pictures of him? It would be much easier to try to determine if he is actually a hare or is a rabbit.
cottontail rabbits are born bald just like domestic rabbits.

It could work out that the rabbit is tame or it can be that the rabbit grows up and is a little wild. The cottontail that I raised from a baby grew up and was very flighty as a 4 month old, she didn't want hands near her and would flip out when humans came close, I released her into the wild. I had a friend though with a cottontail as a house bunny. She had run of the house with litterbox and all and loved her human family so it might work out and might not just depending on the personality of the rabbit.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
JadeIcing

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Keep in mind that if you keep it and it was to get sick most gets can't treat it.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

But still, even without vet treatment, the odds are that it would live longer than in the wild.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
melbaby80

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Elliot wrote:
Quote:
EileenH wrote:
Quote:

Then you should also realize that at some point ALL bunnies were wild. It isn't like she went out looking to get one from the wild. This baby needed a home and someone to care for him as much as any other bunny. This wild bunny did not have the normal ability to learn from his mommy and siblings. ...just my 2 cents.
I'm going to agree with carole on this one. Fact is she rescued him from doom if you read the original post. She is also stating how tame he is now. Is it harmful that she intends on keeping him? No because he is 1 out of a million. Yes you can keep a wild baby rabbit. Its been done over and over by people from all over. Fact is a lot of the "wild" rabbits out there are mixed with domesticated rabbits too. I have seen domesticated rabbits wild here, (white and black coloring not your normal browns). This baby bunny was not taught by his mom or siblings as to how fend for himself regardless of what little instinct he has.