Rabbit of the Month - Teddy

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > Bunny not eating cecotropes

Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
Adeline752

I have an 11 week old Holland lop bunny that I have had since 8 weeks old. He is not eating his cecotropes and they are getting mashed into his fur. I have brought him to the vet and had a stool sample done- no parasites. He is on Oxbow pellets 1/2 cup a day and unlimited hay. That is it besides water of course. It has almost been a month now and I am not seeing any improvements. The vet says there is nothing else that can be done. Has anyone ever encoutered this problem before and is this just the way he will be forever? I know the breeder I got him from was giving him rolled oats mixed in a bit with his pellet food, but I did not continue this. I would think if it were the oats it would have cleared by now since it has almost been a month. I need advice please.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
gmas rabbit

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts

Have you tried feeding them to him as soon as you see him pass them. Maybe he doesn't know he is suppose to eat them.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
james waller

Rabbits

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Adeline752 wrote:
Quote:
I have an 11 week old Holland lop bunny that I have had since 8 weeks old. He is not eating his cecotropes and they are getting mashed into his fur. I have brought him to the vet and had a stool sample done- no parasites. He is on Oxbow pellets 1/2 cup a day and unlimited hay. That is it besides water of course. It has almost been a month now and I am not seeing any improvements. The vet says there is nothing else that can be done. Has anyone ever encoutered this problem before and is this just the way he will be forever? I know the breeder I got him from was giving him rolled oats mixed in a bit with his pellet food, but I did not continue this. I would think if it were the oats it would have cleared by now since it has almost been a month. I need advice please.
some cecoz are overlooked-due to an over abunance thereof--however this bun is very young--cecoz are considered night poops--it is conceivable that we don,t see the actual feeding directly from the bum--to carry this thought forward--what diameter are the day poops--the round ones,??--watch for their diameter to get smaller-this could be indicitive of a problem---orreal mushy poops,,--sincerely james waller--good job mom

Old 02-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
Adeline752

The round poops are normal size. They do not seem to be changing in size at all. He has been eating and drinking fine. He is also already litterbox trained (pretty much) which I am really happy about!

I guess I could try to feed the cecotropes to him. I will try anything within reason! Has anyone had a bun with this issue that does not seem to be diet related?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

There was another posting on this just about 10 days ago, but there was no real resolution. You could find it by searching for "cecals". Anyway, that was in a full-grown rabbit, so the reason may be different.

With Cooper, he may not know to eat them, while with an adult it may be due to producing too many. I got Honey when she was an adult & can't keep in mind when rabbits are to be switched from unlimited alfalfa pellets & hay to timothy hay & limited timothy pellets, but you might check this out.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
oryctolaguslady

According to some studies, rabbits that are fed a concentrate food (pellets) may not eat as many cecotrophs, simply becuase they are receiving all the nutrition they need in the food. Rabbits often have an instinct to tell them when they need certain nutrients.

It probably would not hurt to try and feed the cecotrophs to him, but if he is eating 1/2 cup of pellets a day and hay and seems otherwise healthy, I would not worry about it.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Some young bunnies don't eat all their cecotropes. It is gross and messy, but doesn't necessarily mean he's ill. You might consider putting him on the same food the breeder had--rolled oats and all--and doing a gradual switch to the Oxbow food. Is it the Oxbow 15/23 or Bunny Basics T? A bunny that young should be on 15/23 as it is alfalfa-based.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
Adeline752

Cooper is on the Oxbow Bunny Basics for young bunnies. When I did switch over the food I did a mix so it wasn't a complete shock to his system. He has been on the Oxbow for about 2 1/2 weeks. Are you saying that this is the wrong Oxbow food? I am confused. Should he be on a different kind?

Yeah, I am thinking he isn't probably ill, the vet said he checked out okay. But the real issue I guess is that I was hoping that he would be a real house bunny hopping all around and with this issue it is a bit discouraging. Just hoping that things will get better. Has anybody heard of this? Someone mentioned another posting about this same issue. I will check it out. Anybody know if the problem resolved itself?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

You didn't specify in your 1st post which Oxbow product you meant, so I thought it might be the pellets for adult rabbits.

And whatever the problem is it probably will resolve itself after awhile. Be patient.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
tonyshuman

Liked 94 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm sorry, I'm out of date on my Oxbow product names. They used to call their baby bunny pellet "15/23" and their adult pellet "Bunny Basics T." I checked and now they call them "young rabbit" and "adult rabbit" formulas. The young rabbit formula should be good. If you took about a week to switch his pellets over, that should be appropriate. You might look into getting him a probiotic to settle his system a bit. I use ProBios horse gel formula, but they also make pet formulas (found at the farm/feed store). There is also a pet product called BeneBac, found in the dog/cat medicine section, that is the same thing.

It is not uncommon for young bunnies to not eat all their cecotropes, but they are good for him and I understand not eating them makes him messy. He's probably healthy, but a probiotic won't hurt.