Flynn's FHO

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
She'll be going in tomorrow for her surgery, just got the confirmation call from the vet to make sure and to say that everything's prepared for her. I've requested photos of the surgery and they said they would try and get some.

Geez, I've been feeling so stressed about this since we decided to book it, I really hope we're making the right choice on this. Luckily Flynn's been doing really well while at home, still tries to run around like a little terror when we let her out for a couple minutes each day and eats like crazy. Hopefully she'll stay spunky, it's supposedly pretty painful for them the first few days after...

*excited for the possibility of pictures*
I know we used to let clients take home the head after the surgery, in a little jar.

I'm sure the surgery will go fine. The hardest part is when she comes home. Just make sure they give you some good drugs for her (better then metacam, though the anti inflamatory properties of metacam will help but its not strong enough to do any kind of pain control for the first long while)
Do you have an area of the house where she cant see or hear any of the other bunnies? maybe that will keep her calmer since she wont know their having fun?
A month of being cooped up (maybe longer?)will be hard on you both, hopefully if she isn't jealous that will help.

Will she be spending the night at the clinic after surgery?

I bet you are scared. You have made the right choice and you have a really good vet. Will pray for success in the surgery and a speedy recovery for Flynn. It is like sending a child of to have surgery, have faith it will all work out.
Keep her quiet for the first couple of days, I agree maybe away from the other bunnies so she isn't curious about what they are doing and is more likely to lay and rest. Once the first few days are over you can move her closer.

Watermelons ~ I was actually going to ask to keep the head, but I didn't know if that was weird. Glad to know I'm not the only one who wanted it.
Are there any drugs that you would specifically recommend? That way I can just ask and know what I would probably want in case?
I was planning on moving Flynn up to my room and moving Ty back down since that's where he's been chilling lately. So she won't have contact with anyone else for a bit.
I was going to talk to her about that tomorrow, we're going to play it by ear and see how it goes.

I thank everyone for the continued support on this, it really does help. I'll be sure to keep the forum updated tomorrow.

Wishing Flynn all the best today! Hoping for complete success!

Sending Good thoughts your way today! Please let us know how it went.

K :)

Just getting Flynn ready to go, she's going to get to the vet office around 8:30. My stomach is in knots, can't even eat breakfast.

I can't wait for this to be over and have her on the road to recovery!

She will probably be on hydromorphone at the clinic, hopefully. But thats not usually a drug they will let you take home. I am unsure what they would send you home with, as honestly its so random sometimes. Just ensure they dont say "heres some metacam". Popping 2 advil after you get your leg pulled apart and cut up, wont do a thing.

I honestlyl cant remember what drugs we sent the animals home with.... I remember sitting with the pets in recovery holding ice packs on the incision, and using the sling to walk them outside and to their owner since they werent allowed to use that leg for the first ______ weeks.
Hopefully it will be a type of narcotic. And since Cilantro is so amazing for everything, make sure to load her up on that as well since its supposed to help prevent infection. They may send you home with antibiotics as well just incase. Its hard to say what your vet will do if they've never done the procedure before.

Best of luck for you both.

Everyone at our house is rooting for Flynn today. It may be a little silly, but I tell the buns about the others on here.They at least pretend to listen.

:pray:

Hey Flynn, Harley sends you his best wishes and speedy recovery. We are rooting for you sweetie, you are the ground breaker for him. Amanda - lots of prayers and good thoughts. Let us all know when the little darling is out of surgery and in recovery.

I asked about the pain meds and she mentioned that she was sending us home with a few days supply of a drug, I can't remember what it's called but I'm pretty sure it started with an "O".

Something the vet mentioned is with fairly recent studies on FHO's on bunnies, they shouldn't be getting much cage rest...? She said that it causes the muscle to seize up. She mentioned with should let her move around. She's been doing what sounds like a load of research and she has practiced on a few cadavers and she seems pretty confident in what she's found.

I'm going to go load up on Cilantro then.

She should be in surgery right now, nearly panicked when the phone rang about 15 minutes ago since I knew they would be into the surgery a bit, my mind jumped to the worst and thought they were calling to say they were having complications... Haven't heard anything yet but they said they would call around 12. I'll be sure to post ASAP when we hear something.

Well, just got the call and I'm not quite sure what to think.

So Flynn is out of surgery but not awake yet and the vet mentioned that it was more difficult then what she had expected. There was a lot of swelling and she had a hard time getting down to the bone and she mentioned that this is going to be more painful for Flynn then she anticipated.

She mentioned that she hopes she'll be able to use her leg again as apparently there was quite a bit of damage inside and the muscles were so swollen it was difficult to get through.

We're just waiting for the call for her to wake up. I feel like I'm going to be sick.

They did get some pics of the surgery so I'll get those up when we get them.

Well, perhaps it won't be as bad as the vet thinks. Afterall, she practiced on cadavers who wouldn't have any swelling or anything like that, so perhaps it was just more than what she expected. Real life is always messier than practice, but at least she was honest with you.

Hopefully they will give Flynn something strong so she won't be in too much pain. :pray:

Just called back and she's awake now and sitting up, but not eating anything as of yet.

That was the first thing we thought too, that the cadavers wouldn't have the swelling. Poor girl, I really hope we didn't just wind up making things worse for her...

Latest posts

Back