Rabbit of the Month - Lati

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Rabbit stopped using his litter box

Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
danakscully64

My rabbit is about 8-9 years old and recently stopped using his litter box. I had to change brands of litter because the old one I was using changed to be too hard. I bought a bag of the rough stuff, thinking it would be fine. He hated it. I changed litter to another brand that's soft, he pees in it about once a day, leaving at least 2 separate accidents in his cage. He stopped pooping completely in his box, he just leaves huge messes next to his box, next to his food bowl. Do you think the change in litter turned him off, could it be old age, or something else? I tried moving his box, it doesn't work.

This happened while I was typing this message up.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
MILU

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Maybe he doesn't recognize it anymore.. I guess he doesn't like the new brand, there must be something wrong with it, maybe a different smell, who knows...
I'd suggest changing brands again.. but before you might want to try to put some "stuff" in the litter box - maybe your bunny will "recognize" it and know that that is the place to do his "stuff"..
I hope it helps..

Old 02-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
MILU

Btw, do you think his "bathroom habits" are ok? It seems like the poo shape isn't too good? I don't know if that's what I see in the pic, but it looks like some stuff are bigger, some are pretty small.. is he having loose stools or something? Maybe it could be a reason why he wouldn't use the litter box?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
LakeCondo
Rabbits

Liked 75 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 48

It may be due to an age-related health issue. If that was the reason for the change, then it would have been a more gradual change [probably] than if the litter was the reason for the change. And do put some of "it/them" into the litter box.

But if the poop is irregular in size or a different size than they were before, I'd recommend a vet visit.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #5
james waller

Rabbits

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 29

danakscully64 wrote:
Quote:
My rabbit is about 8-9 years old and recently stopped using his litter box. I had to change brands of litter because the old one I was using changed to be too hard. I bought a bag of the rough stuff, thinking it would be fine. He hated it. I changed litter to another brand that's soft, he pees in it about once a day, leaving at least 2 separate accidents in his cage. He stopped pooping completely in his box, he just leaves huge messes next to his box, next to his food bowl. Do you think the change in litter turned him off, could it be old age, or something else? I tried moving his box, it doesn't work.

This happened while I was typing this message up.
if you raised this rabbit,as he/she is 8-9yrs old,--you are doing better than me,,it maybe time for an orchard or timothy grass poop box--sorry to be so short,sincerely james waller

Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
MILU

How is he doing?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
ZRabbits

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Regarding the litter box, maybe it's too high for him to jump or just not sure because you have new stuff in it. I hear that with senior and babies you need a litter box that is lower for them. Seniors get arthritis, babies are just too small to hop in.

Maybe a lower litter box. I only have experience with young rabbits and they took to the lower litter box like ASAP.

Just a suggestion. Hope your bunny is doing well. Senior bunnies need extra care, just like babies.

K

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Jiin Lee

Argh. I just wanted to pop in and say that I came to this board because I'm having the same problem. 8 year old rabbit, but he's still using the pan as well. He and his companion both are free roaming bunnies, and they have their own rug that they spend pretty much all their time on. In the last month, he's started pooping on the rug. At least, I feel like it's him...

Either way, it's becoming messy and frustrating. Nothing has changed as far as pan, bedding, I can't figure out what the problem is. Pebbles, everywhere...

Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Bright Eyes

Why don't you try putting his food bowl into the litterbox. I know it sounds gross, but it wont bother him! My bun likes to poop and eat at the same time. Maybe in his old age he thinks hes earned the right to do that!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
danakscully64

Sorry for the delay everyone, I've been very busy.

In terms of his bowel movements, they've always been like that. Mason rarely eats hay (it's always fresh and offered) and is very picky about what he eats, so his poop is never dry and odorless. Ever.