Rabbit of the Month - Lati

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Papaya Enzyme Tabs or Pineapple Juice?

Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
BunnieLuva

Hi!

I know we're suppose to give our buns those Papaya Enzyme Tabs to keep fur blockage, but I've also heard that you can give Pineapple Juice as well...so my question is...

Which is better to give my bun? Is one safer than the other? Is the Pineapple Juice ok to give to my bun at all? Is there a certain age that I start giving her the tabs or juice or does age matter?

Just want to make sure I don't give her something she shouldn't have.

Thanks in advance

[line]Have a Super Hoppy Bunny-riffic Day

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Old 01-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
I_heart_Fraggles
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Hi We started giving Fraggles paypaya tabs at around five months. I am not sure if you can do it sooner. Pineapple is good for the shedding season but not needed any other time. It should be fresh pineapple and if you can get her to eat a little of the fruit then that's better. Hope that helps On another note......Is that your bunny in the avatar? Oh my sweetness! You know we are practicely neighbors

Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Acacia-Berry

Rabbits

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Aw to little avatar bunnies!
I feed dried papaya a couple times a week. Pineapple was never a treat to Acacia, she acted offended. "why would you do this to meee!!!" she'd cry. :/
I would keep both to a minimum since they both are high in sugars. Pineapple is also acidic, so I would opt for papaya anyway.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
majorv

Liked 191 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I would definitely choose papaya tablets over pineapple. During shedding season I put one tablet on top of their pellets. Depending on how bad they're shedding I may give them one every few days or once a week. It isn't as messy and they love them. The tablets I have indicate there's1 gram of sugar per 3 tablets.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #5
OneTwoThree

I give the oxbow papaya tablets as a treat to Samson like, 3 or 4 times a week? She loves them.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears's Avatar

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is no evidence either works. I give my kids fresh pineapple in the summer as a treat and they love it!

Old 01-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
majorv

Liked 191 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Luvr of Wabbits and Polar Bears wrote:

Quote:
There is no evidence either works. I give my kids fresh pineapple in the summer as a treat and they love it!

That may be true, but I've never had a rabbit with hairball issues so I'm assuming the papaya tablets work, at least for me.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
BunnieLuva

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
Quote:
Hi We started giving Fraggles paypaya tabs at around five months. I am not sure if you can do it sooner. Pineapple is good for the shedding season but not needed any other time. It should be fresh pineapple and if you can get her to eat a little of the fruit then that's better. Hope that helps On another note......Is that your bunny in the avatar? Oh my sweetness! You know we are practicely neighbors
Hi Katie!

Thanks for the info Yes that is my bun in my avatar, her name is Posie and she will be coming home to me on the 15th...I'm so excite.

Your Fraggles is sure cute...love them ears

OMGoodness we are neighbors aren't we? We will so have to get together sometime now you know that right? Hehehehe. My addy is actually Tacoma, but I believe it's actually Parkland...go figure.

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
BunnieLuva

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Quote:
Aw to little avatar bunnies!
I feed dried papaya a couple times a week. Pineapple was never a treat to Acacia, she acted offended. "why would you do this to meee!!!" she'd cry. :/
I would keep both to a minimum since they both are high in sugars. Pineapple is also acidic, so I would opt for papaya anyway.
Yeah I don't want to give her anything that is high in sugar...thanks so much for the info

Bren...aka BunnieLuva

Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
BunnieLuva

majorv wrote:
Quote:
I would definitely choose papaya tablets over pineapple. During shedding season I put one tablet on top of their pellets. Depending on how bad they're shedding I may give them one every few days or once a week. It isn't as messy and they love them. The tablets I have indicate there's1 gram of sugar per 3 tablets.
Thanks Vicki actually when is shedding season? Is it different times per bun or is it the same for all?

Bren...aka BunnieLuva