Binky Boo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawrforserious

Reaction score
It's no secret that I love the small and the furry. I run a rat rescue, so my house is home to 10+ rats at any given time (Currently there are 18 rats in my home -- 6 permanent residents and 12 rescues.) I always thought that I would stick to rats, and that they were my "thing". I adore my rats. But, then I started to delve into the world of bunnies.

I was immediately enthralled with the lop ears. The inquisitive and gentle faces with those to die for loppy ears. I was sure that my first bunny would be a lop. That was, if I was ever to get a lagomorph friend.

I spent the year going back and forth. Reading up what I could when I could. Between rescuing, school (I'm going to become a veterinary technician, of course!) and a full-time job it's hard to find time to do small bits of research here and there.

However, in the last month or so I was really set on welcoming a rabbit into my home. I had done all my research and felt that I was ready to make this leap. I had planned to head to the local humane society. I had already scouted out their available bunnies online. There were no lops, but I decided it didn't hurt to check them out. But, they were not the right fit for me and our family. Far too skittish and angry. Some were even growling at us. I decided that a terrified rescue that needed some rehabilitation from an experienced rabbit owner, not a first timer, was not a good match.

So, away we went. I figured Nevada was huge on 4-H, there had to be some breeders in the area that had some little lops. But, we had to stop by the pet store on the way home to grab my lab mix a new collar. Somehow, she and our pit had managed to lose it in the backyard.

We walked into the pet store, and the buns were right there. Off to the left in an octagon shaped aquarium type set up. Right next to the baby ferrets. That's when I saw him. This little fluff ball of agouti fur with a little white nose and headspot.

Though I don't condone purchasing pets from a pet store, I understand there are the few that we encounter that just latch onto our hearts with their little paws/feet/claws/etc. And this was one of those cases.

I asked to hold him, and that was the end of it. Then I passed him to my mom and younger sister and they both melted under his adorable powers.

So, say hello to Binky.

006-20-1.jpg

He's not a lop, but that doesn't even matter to me anymore. Just look at his little face.

007-17-1.jpg

He's in a temporary baby cage. I was told he's a he and that he's between 8-9 weeks old. However, I will be talking to my vet this Friday when I bring one of the rescue rats in to be neutered about him. Maybe set up an appointment then and talk about getting him neutered in the future.

Once he's big enough and has the potty training done I plan to switch him to a large dog kennel or an x-pen. For now he has his little cage and full range of my bedroom when I am home to keep an eye on him.

I end this by saying hello to my fellow bunny owners. I'm excited to be part of this branch of animal lovers and owners.

Binky is so cute!!! You'll have to keep posting pictures. And don't forget the ratties! I had rats for years, but never had more than 6 at one time. I can't imagine having 18 at the same time. I'd be in rattie heaven. :)

What a cute story and what a handsome bunny. That is a very cute name you came up with.

Some people say that buying from pet shops is bad, however, Binky just got a loving home, by someone who is in for the long haul and will be a attentive slave. Who knows, if someone got him that hadn't done the research you had, he may have gone to a bad home.

My wife had lost her bunny a few months back and was shopping at the mall and stopped to look at the bunny's, she picked one up, I got a call asking if we had cage spaceand Louie came home. They have this ability to control our minds!;)

If you haven't discovered this already, it is hard to be mad or sad while holding a bunny.

To earn a rabbits trust is truly an accomplishment. Welcome to the world of being a bunnyslave, its a great life.

Wendy -- We did have 20. But, two of our boys got adopted on Christmas Eve. We have all boys in rescue (black hoodies and PEWs), so I imagine they're going to be here a while since they're the "less desirable" rats. But, here is a link to our website and a hidden page that lists all the permanent residents. :) :

www.littlepawsnv.webs.com
http://littlepawsnv.webs.com/littlepawsresidents.htm

Dave -- I can't wait until I get to see the dead bunny flop and have him actually seek me out for attention.

Tonight while having him out in my room I got to witness some happy baby bunny binkying. Oh, the pure torture of that cuteness isn't fair. I couldn't help but giggle. I did manage to snap a couple pictures of the tail end of his little excited hops.

010-10-1.jpg

015-14-2.jpg

The other animals in the house are infatuated with the new addition. In some cases, like with the cats, that's not a good thing. But, they'll eventually get used to the little bunny in the house. My lab mix, Leni, is in love with him. She's very gentle with my rats, so I knew she wouldn't have any issues with Binky. She just likes to lick him.

Speaking of the other animals, here is a picture I snapped that includes all of my larger "personal" (they belong to me and only me) pets.

009-16-2.jpg

From left to right: The tabby kitty is Kovu, Leni the lab, Kammi is the little Tuxedo kitten kind of hidden, and then there's Molly Moo.

Molly and Kovu are my oldest. They're siblings that are 6 years old. Leni turns 3 in March. And Kammi is about 4 months old. Kammi was a failed foster from the humane society. (Someone had found her and her siblings in a taped box beside a dumpster!)

Then in our house there is a multitude of other animals. We have a little zoo. There's the 18 rats previously mentioned, 6 other dogs currently (2 are fosters from the local bulldog rescue, 1 we're watching for my dad), and 2 other cats. That's a total of 31 animals now with the addition of Binky. But, I have to look at it this way; 15 are not permanent residents.

It's a little hectic at times, but it all works. :)

You've got a great pet family. It's too bad the local shelter was so awful that you couldn't adopt there, but it was. A Nevada friend was slightly interested in getting a pet rabbit & I looked online at Adoptapet,com & petfinder.com & got a bad impression from the information there. Most shelters are better than that, thank goodness.

Binky is so cute! He looks like a little old man to me :)

That is wonderful that you can help rats in need. I think they get a bad wrap. Your animal family is wonderful. Once your cats get used to the rabbit they may be ok together.

I have two cats with my rabbits. Victoria (cat) just ignores them other than to bonk Gary (rabbit) on the head once in a while, but he teases her without mercy. Andre (cat) plays, grooms, and sleeps with them. Sometimes he will also eat hay though, so he thinks he's part rabbit :)

That is unfortunate that the shelter was not more helpful. Sometimes it takes a bunny lover volunteer to turn them around. Hopefully they will get better. I agree though, the most important thing is that Binky has a devoted slave.

That is quite a zoo!

My dogs were very interested in our first rabbit, but when they realized that they couldn't chase it or "play" with it, they stayed out of its way. Now when we have one of the rabbits in the living room the dogs just go somewhere else or to another couch.

One of my Flemish beat up one of our cats I guess you can say. Velvet, blue flemish, was out in the bunny room and our cat Duster took a swipe at her ears, he's declawed, she turned and charged him. He jumped up to get out of the way and landed on her back. She jumped up and twisted her body and he got flew off and hit the door. Duster never got near any of the rabbits after that.

Everyone once in a while I will see my rabbits do the dead bunny flop, often I walk into the bunny room and some of them will be in the dead bunny flop position.

If you want Binky to come to you, read a book on the floor, watch tv, just ignore him. Rabbits hate to be ignored, after awhile he will come over to see what you find more interesting then him.

Great pictures, I love the look Leni has in the group photo.

Thanks everyone. :) He is definitely adorable. And so much fun. He's already showing his personality. Such a little punk. :p Getting into things he shouldn't even after I try to steer him away from where he shouldn't go he goes right back. Last night when I had him out he found a piece of fluff and was trying to munch on it. When I tried to take it away from him he made me chase after him to take it out of his mouth.

Now, from what I've heard he should be getting an unlimited supply of hay and pellets, correct? Until he's 12 weeks old. I feel like I should be giving him more because I'm so used to the rats (they eat anything and everything :p)

The other animals have finally gotten used to Binky. They aren't all surrounding his cage anymore. My sister's cat last night must have thought he was a kitten or something last night because he came into my room growling at the cage.

Speaking of cats, if anyone wants a little female tuxedo kitten, let me know. Kammi is driving me crazy! She must get into everything and anything. She keeps trying to get into the bunny cage when I'm not looking and have Binky out. Then she thought it would be fun to get a running start and throw herself at my door this morning around 2-3. She's such a brat.

001-31-1-1.jpg

Here's a new picture I took of Binks today. He looks like he put his nose in a bowl of milk. I have the whole week off so I get to play with him all day!

005-23-1-1.jpg

My little fluffball and I. You can't even tell he's ab unny he's so fluffy!

Dave - Thanks! Aw, man. You mean I have to keep the black and white monster kitten? :(

[align=center]----------[/align]

We have a tiny troublemaker on our hands....

Today was full of giggles and trying to outsmart the baby bunny. I have learned that if he wants to get somewhere he will do everything to get his way.

Use something to block an opening? Ha! I'll just jump over it.
Put all the "untouchables" (laptop cords, camera cords, cell phone, Nook) on the bed? Pft! I will teach myself to get up on that bed, I will!
Store all the food and hay in a box so he won't get to it? Stupid hooman, my tiny butt will hop into that box!

Now I have removed everything from my bed and he has lots of fun zooming around my room and jumping on/off my bed like he's some daredevil. Binky is quite the character. As soon as I get up to go stop him from doing something bad he's already zooming off to the other side of the room like he was never doing anything wrong! And then he has that irresistible "I-wasn't-doing-anything" face.

Oy vey!

Today also brought on the question, do I really have a boy bunny on my hands?

After several attempts and some poking, prodding, and torture trying to get a good look at Binky's unmentionables I still have no definitive answer there. Why are bunnies so hard!?

I can sex baby rats when they are hours old. They're even fetus-like, like they need to go back in the oven to cook some more. Yet, I can't determine if Binky is a he or a she? It's likely the unfamiliarity of his nether regions, but still. Bunny privates stump me.

Speaking of little bunny unmentionables, I have been calling recommended vets that I have found on this forum and on The House Rabbit website to get quotes on neuters. Having a bunny opens up so many different options in vets. I didn't really even realize that. I'm used to having to search high and low for a reputable rat vet (thankfully I found an awesome one!). But, with 4-H such a massive part of the community I have located a few that seem promising and charge significantly less than my rat vet. (I admit, my vet is a little steep on their prices.) So far these are the quotes I have received:

[align=center]Pyramid Vet (The Rat Vet):
Pre-surgery consult - $45.50
Neuter - $185
Total: $230.50

A-Plus (Highly recommended locally. Referred by the Humane Society):
No pre-surgery consult.
Neuter - $139

All Creatures (Referred by Humane Society):
Unsure if there's a pre-surgery consult. The woman that answered the phone was rude and I didn't bother asking.
Neuter - $145

Fairgrounds Animal Hospital (Referred by website):
--Awaiting Quote--
[/align]
I'm just getting quotes now since Binky wont need to get snipped until he's 5 months old.

With the cold weather and our equally cold house at night I took it upon myself to sew Binky something to keep him warm. I'm sure he's okay with the cold weather at night, but I'm a new, worry filled bunny mom! I'm the bunny equivalent of those mom's that layer their children in clothes, add a snowsuit, hat, scarf and mittens for just two inches of snow.

I present the bunny snuggle sack.

003-24-1.jpg

002-23-1.jpg

005-23.jpg

Bunny is not impressed!

Well, I think it's cute. I have also been draping a fleece blanket over and behind his cage since it is against one of the outer walls in my room. Don't want any drafts! I'm used to the rats' delicate respiratory system. I imagine rabbits are a little hardier considering a lot of people house them in hutches outside?

Well, I'm off to monitor my little troublemaker!

You'll probably have to wait to determine the gender. Fortunately you've given him or her a name that's not gender specific.

I like the snuggle sack, you like it, maybe he or she will learn to like it.

I got Honey from a private shelter already spayed so don't know about costs, but I've gotten the impression that spaying costs more than male neutering. Someone suggested that if it's a male who will remain an only rabbit AND it doesn't develop hormone-based personality changes at puberty, then neutering is optional. They said prostate cancer was rare in rabbits but uterine cancer isn't. So you might want to check that out, though I get the impression that males become little devils at puberty & the owner can't wait for the snips.

I guess I'll just wait and see if Binks is in fact a boy. :p
I don't want to deal with spraying, so he'll definitely be getting neutered.

Binky is being a stinker tonight. I missed covering a hole that leads under my box spring. He managed to find it and refused to come out. After a little bit he finally came out, but now he keeps trying to go over to it and dig through the pillow I put there to block it. Oy vey. Little bunny. He keeps thumping at me, the little brat.

rawrforserious wrote:
Binky is being a stinker tonight. I missed covering a hole that leads under my box spring. He managed to find it and refused to come out. After a little bit he finally came out, but now he keeps trying to go over to it and dig through the pillow I put there to block it. Oy vey. Little bunny. He keeps thumping at me, the little brat.
Things like this make me glad Honey is in an xpen. I visit her in it, though I'm getting a bit too old to sit on the floor. Getting up is harder than it used to be. lol

Time to invest in some NIC panels I think. Just to line around my bed because we have one determined little bunny. I've tried blocking the holes, but then he just digs trying to get through. Anytime I get up to stop him he runs off. Then he waits until I sit down and get comfortable to do it again. The punk.

I think he likes when I follow him around the room trying to get him to stop. This is when he zooms and binkies the most. Of course.

He's starting to come up to me to see what I'm doing too. He had fun jumping over my leg over and over again. It was cute.

Here are some updated pictures of the little brat.

011-8-2.jpg

014-12.jpg

You can see his half blue-gray eye in this picture. His other eye is only 1/4 blue-gray. Do you think they will stay like this?

003-24.jpg

Flop

Latest posts

Back