Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > General Rabbit Discussion > How many times a day do you feed?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
BlueCamasRabbitry
Emily

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I know everyone's feeding schedules are different, but I was just wondering how many times a day are you rabbits fed? Do you feed just once (am/pm) or do you feed 2 to 3 times a day?

Is it better for rabbits to be fed 2x daily, or is feeding 1x daily okay?

I personally feed my rabbits 2x a day, once in the morning and once in the late evening. This way I can split up the daily intake of food and provide half in the morning and half at night. They get water topped off at each feeding, and a handful of hay in the evenings.

I am kind of wanting to get a feel of people's feeding schedules and ideas on how many times a day a rabbit should be fed in order to provide an outline of such for my 4-Hers new to rabbits.

Emily

Old 10-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
OneTwoThree

I top the hay in the morning, I give a heaping salad and a slimcat treat ball with the pellets in the evening.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
HappyFarmBunnies

Emily, you may want to try posting this question in the Rabbitry section as well/instead, as that is where most of the breeders hang out.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Nancy McClelland
Larry
RABBIT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 536 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 700

Send a message via Yahoo to Nancy McClelland

We make sure the hay racks are always full. Fresh veggies am and pm. Pellets in the pm. And, treats in the am and pm--raviolo, yogurt drop, timothy cube, and carrot slims--2 in the morning first thing and 2 in the evening while I'm prepping the veggies.

Sometimes I feel like I'm running a fertilizer factory.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 218 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I give pellets twice a day, am and pm. It ends up being about 12 hours apart as I do it when I get up in the morning (I sleep late) and before bed.
Hay is as needed, but usually at least once a day.
Water is also as needed. I have 20oz dishes and that will last then 1-2 days usually, but I do refill before it is empty.
Veggies are usually in the evening, it kinda of depends on when I actually remember to give them.
I don't really give treats. Korr and Amelia get a small slice of dried apple in the morning. Lillian does get a pinch of oats at night, but that seems to help with her excess cecels. Sometimes they may get extra treats like a big of carrot when I have some, but that is not often.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
MikeScone
Mike - Camera Corner Mod
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 166 Times on 123 Posts

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Quote:
I know everyone's feeding schedules are different, but I was just wondering how many times a day are you rabbits fed? Do you feed just once (am/pm) or do you feed 2 to 3 times a day?
Natasha gets a breakfast of greens (usually Spring Mix) and a handful of pellets in the morning, then some more greens (kale or romaine or something like that) when I come home from work or have my dinner. Of course, she has unlimited hay (timothy and orchard grass, in different places) all day long. She'll usually get a bedtime snack (a few broccoli florets are a favorite), which gets her running back into her cage at bedtime - even though I don't lock her in at night any more, it's good to keep up the habit for when the bunny-sitter is there or I have guests.

Of course, Natasha is a house rabbit and I'm not a breeder with lots of bunnies to deal with, so the situation may be a bit different.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
BlueCamasRabbitry
Emily

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
Quote:
Emily, you may want to try posting this question in the Rabbitry section as well/instead, as that is where most of the breeders hang out.
I'm actually curious about everyone's feeding schedules, not just the breeders. And I guess what I'm asking is, are there any of you who only feed everything all at once, one time a day? And the rabbit gets nothing in the am/ or pm, just at that one time?

Emily

Old 10-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 218 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I should also mention that mine do have hay all the time, I just give more when they need it. Some eat more hay than others and some need hay like 2-3 times a day while others it is once a day.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
funnybunnymummy
Retired Moderator

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Gus gets fed about 3 times a day. He gets salad in the morning, salad at dinnertime (it's the only way he'll let me cook undisturbed!), and then pellets and a huge pile of hay at bedtime.

Since rabbits are grazers, unless you're free-feeding does or babies, I think it's better to offer a few smaller feedings than one large one. Of course, I have a rabbit who thinks he's a goldfish and will try to eat himself to death...

Rue

Old 10-25-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
irishbunny

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I only feed once a day. I give them their pellets and make sure they have plenty of hay, and it's always worked fine for me and kept them in healthy body weight and looking healthy. The only pellets I can get are quite high in protein, as they are more geared towards meat rabbits so I give them a handful each.