Newbie here

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillika

Reaction score
My name is Lily and I've got two rabbits, a spayed female called Ruby and a neutered boy called Micah. I've had Ruby for almost 2 years now and Micah only 8 months.
Its kinds of a long and sad story of how I ended up with with my two rabbits so please bear with me.
Two years ago my friend decided she wanted rabbits, she got Chester from an online site here in NZ. She then went to the SPCA and got my now rabbit Ruby, Ruby didn't come with any history, not even her age was known, just a young rabbit.
Rather than doing the normal introductions my friend put Ruby straight into Chester's hutch. I'm not entirely sure how she could've missed all the fighting that had to have been going on straight away but she only mentioned to me they were possibly fighting(she found a tear in Chester's ear) a couple of weeks after they started living together. I tried to get her to separate the two but she said she didn't have another hutch or have room for another hutch. About a month later Chester got sick and died.
I think it was then Ruby's behavior got really vicious, she became incredibly territorial of her hutch, she would make lunges at my friend when she was trying to clean the hutch or just give her some food. She never ever bit but her scratches were pretty bad.
Then my friend's mum decided that Ruby was too horrible and that they should set her free. She even went and brought two baby rabbits. Rather than getting another hutch poor Ruby got kicked out of hers and was living on the deck. I think now that my friend was hoping Ruby would just leave herself, but Ruby never did, instead she became extremely territorial of the deck and would run up and attack anyone who walked onto it. I dont know why my friend didn't just take her back to the SPCA, she kept insisting that Ruby wanted to be free and she told me she was going to drive out to a farm and set her free. That was when I step in and took Ruby.

I nicknamed her Psycho bunny because that really was what she was like, she would take anyone who went near her. I then got her a flemish giant boyfriend named Jasper. After a very long and slow introduction Ruby finally accepted Jasper.
But the sad thing was Jasper died suddenly after a year of living with Ruby.
Then I went out and got Micah, also a flemish. Ruby accepted Micah quite quickly and they're now living together.

But now I have another problem, I think Ruby has some abandonment issues and has become super attached to me, so much that she gets jealous if I give Micah any attention. She's gotten so bad lately that every time Micah runs towards me she would jump into the air and then kick him in the head. I'm worried they're losing their bond because of this. What should I do?
Ruby isn't a super cuddly or trusting rabbit and I doubt she will ever be but lets me pick her up and hold her on her back now, she's always waiting at the door for me when I go out to see them and occassionally she will let me give her a pat.

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

You might want to ask some of your questions about behavior in that section, you will get more responses.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

Latest posts

Back