Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Health & Wellness > How long does it take for antibiotics to work?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
itsazoo

Peepers came down with snuffles a week ago. Our regular vet wasn't available so we took her toa 24 hour clinic. We not too sureif the vet there really knows what he's doing.

Her poor little nose was all crusted up and running, and she was sneezing and lethargic. Vet prescribed Baytril at 9ml/kg twice a day for 10 days. She improved, but is still a decidedly sick bunny. We're taking her back for a recheck; vet said he might add another antibiotic.

Just wondering how much improvement we should expect to see after 7 days, and if the dosage seems adequate. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
Ronin Shinobi

I wouldn't give peepers any antibiotics until I was 100% sure that they will be safe for him to take. Unless they are proven safe for rabbits, antibiotics can be fatal. Killing off healthy bacteria that the rabbit needs as well as the ones causing peepers the snuffles. Personally i would call another vet that specializes in rabbits or small animals and ask if the antibiotics is safe for peepers to take. If not take him to another vet ASAP.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 218 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You should have noticed a change by now. It could be that Baytril is not effective in this case or it isn't an infection.
Did the vet check the teeth? Since the vet is probably not experienced with rabbits, he probably didn't check the back teeth. Tooth issues can cause other problems like blocked tear ducts that might not be treated effectively with anti biotics.
I would go to your regular vet, especially if they are rabbit savvy. Get a good check up done and different (rabbit safe) medications.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
itsazoo

This new vet is supposedly experienced with rabbits, but I don't recall him checking her teeth at the first visit (will now).He claimed he checked her temperature but it looked to me like he was just spinning the thermometer and didn't actually insert it. Regular vet is all booked so we're stuck withthenewone until we can get an appointment with the regular one.

I have a list of rabbit safe antibiotics to double check whatever the vet says. I'm pretty sure the Baytril is safe. I'm more concerned the dose might not be high enough. Medirabbit says 5-15mg/kg and she's getting 9. We're adding probiotics and enzymes to her food anyway.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Sweetie

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes baytril is safe for rabbits. With the probiotics, give at least an hour apart because the antibiotic and probiotic will cancel each other out and they won't be effective.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
itsazoo

Yikes, maybe that's what we're doing wrong! The evening dose of baytril and dinner with probiotics have been being served too close together. I should have thought of that.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
itsazoo

ok my mom(who was posting above under my name) took Peepers back to the vet tonight...I was working and couldnt make it. he checked her teeth(all good) and actually got a temp. reading this time, her temperature is fine. she is doing better then she was last week, but not great obviously or we wouldnt have been there lol, he gave us more Baytril(another 10 days) plus another anti-biotic..rabbit safe, my mom brought a list to check anything he gave her first.

I was giving her her bedtime meds at 9 and she was getting supper with the probiotics around 10, so I will space that a bit more and give her her meds a bit earlier to make sure I'm not overlapping

Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Sweetie

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds good! I hope that Peepers gets better.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #9
missyscove
Christina - Moderator
RABBIT_MODERATOR.png

Rabbits

Liked 280 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Baytril is definitely a safe antibiotic to give rabbits, but so many bacteria are resistant to it that sometimes it doesn't do any good. In your first post you mentioned that you were giving 9ml/kg. Then you commented on the mg dosage of baytril. Do you know the mg/ml of the baytril that has been compounded for you?

Old 02-18-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
itsazoo

the label says 50mg/ml and Peepers is 2.4lbs