Rabbit of the Month - Spud

Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Nutrition and Behavior > Pulling out Fur?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
mae9406

I am just wondering what all the reasons could be thata rabbit would pull out her fur? (I've read around enough to know they do it when they are about to have babies, but do they do it for any other reasons? )

My female rabbit just started pulling out her fur in random areas in our apartment. At first, I thought she was starting toshed because it was all over the place in small pinches; then I found a slightly bigger pile in the corner of her litter pan before bed which I picked up and threw out not thinking to much about it (my male has been shedding all winter), but this morning I woke up to the corner by my bed having a HUGE pile of fur in it.

NOTE: I DO have two rabbits: a neutered male and a female (unspayed- for the moment). My male was neutered in October so I'm almost postivie she's not pregnant... Right?

Should I leave the fur there for the next couple of days? Or can I throw it out?

Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Korr_and_Sophie

Rabbits

Liked 219 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It could be a false pregnancy. She thinks she is pregnant, so will make a nest and could act a bit more hormonal. Sometimes they will destroy the nest after a few days or a week.
You could move the fur into a nest box so you can still clean the litter box easily. It is probably best to keep the fur in the cage so she doesn't feel that she needs to make a new one every day.
There is not much you can do about false pregnancies other than getting her spayed.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Runestonez
Retired Moderator

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Send a message via AIM to Runestonez Send a message via Skype™ to Runestonez

Our female Nethie, Gypsy, was a late neuter at about 3 and a half years of age...
(she was a rescue)

She builds nests once or twice a year...
She seems to prefer her hay bin!
They are beautiful nests!

We usually leavethe nestfor a few days and when it looks like she has lost interest...we just remove it!

Authorized Ontario Wildlife Rehabilitator at Stormhaven Gardens Wildlife Rehabilitation
The Stormhaven Bunns:
Peppers, Zoe, Tucker, Portia, Gypsy, Oliver, Maguffin and Pasquale!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
mae9406

Oh, ok. Thanks, ladies. That makes a lot of since. Makes me feel much better.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
maxysmummy

Runestonez wrote:
Quote:
Our female Nethie, Gypsy, was a late neuter at about 3 and a half years of age...
(she was a rescue)

She builds nests once or twice a year...
She seems to prefer her hay bin!
They are beautiful nests!

We usually leavethe nestfor a few days and when it looks like she has lost interest...we just remove it!
aw, this post made me both happy and sad at the same time. you're right, it is a beautiful nest but sad because poor girl wants some bubbies of her own