Diarrhea, and possible eye infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole123

Reaction score
Lately my rabbit has had a white substance coming out of his eye. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem to bother him.
Also, for the past 2-3 weeks, my rabbit keeps having diarrhea. He doesn't have it all the time, he has short 4 or 5 day breaks in between. :(

We need some background info. How old is he? How long have you had him?

Can you describe the diarrhea--color, consistency, thickness, texture (gross but important)? Does it look like it contains jelly or mucus? Is it pure liquid or mushy solids? Does he have any normal poos during the same times that he has the diarrhea?

Can you describe the eye stuff? Is it like mucus? Does he have any lumps or bumps on his face that are not symmetric? Does he eat less or avoid certain foods? Does he do anything differently with that eye, like hold it more closed?

What do you feed him and how often? Where did he come from (shelter, breeder, friend, etc)?

Sorry we need all this info but it will help. My first guess based on very limited information is coccidia and conjunctivitis. Coccidia is a parasite of the GI tract, and that could explain the cyclical nature of his diarrhea bouts. Conjunctivitis is an infection of the eye. The eye can be treated with over-the-counter meds but the coccidia cannot and will require a vet visit. Both of these conditions seem to be more likely for a young bunny.

What I think it is, however, could change depending on how you answer the questions.

Peter's about 2 and a half years old, and we've had him ever since he was a few weeks old. His diarrhea is dark brown, but it's more like a large runny poo. It's more like a mushy solid. He usually gets it after we feed him food like lettuce, so now we only give him dry food.
Between his diarrhea, he does have normal poos. He doesn't seem bothered by it though, when he has diarrhea he acts like it's a normal poo.

As for his eyes, he doesn't seem bothered by the stuff coming out, and he doesn't have anything on his face. The stuff coming out of his eye does seem like mucus, but it's not constant, it happens about once every one or two days.

We feed him oats, hay, pellets, some treats, and lettuce and parsley, although we haven't given him lettuce and parsley in a long time.

Well, glad you cleared that up! The pic looks like a very young bunny, that's why I said that. With young ones there are different concerns. It's possible he just can't tolerate lettuce. I asked about there being runny and normal at the same time because the cecum where some food gets fermented by bacteria to produce the cecotropes they eat can get a bacterial imbalance that leads to diarrhea, but they can have normal fecal poos at the same time.

If you want to try giving him lettuce again, or it comes back w/o the lettuce given, I'd give him a veterinary probiotic like Bene-Bac or ProBios. They can be hard to find in Canada so you may have to look for a human non-milk-based probiotic at the drug store as an alternative. It still could be coccidia if it comes back w/o the lettuce.

The eye is something I would have looked at if there's a lot of it. My guys commonly get dried mucus in the corners of their eyes (like "sleep") and that's no biggie, but if there's a lot of white liquid goo, it could be an eye infection. You could try to treat it yourself with an opthalmic antibiotic ointment--farm stores will sell tetracycline for that effect, or even a clean tube of plain neosporin ointment, as well, but it might be good to get a clearer idea of what it is.

Latest posts

Back