Socializing My Buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kricket

Reaction score
I am working on taming my buns. Theyare 3 1/2 months old. I've had them for about 5weeks. I want to gently work with them and would LOVE forthem to be highly social. I would like for them to join me onvisits to my grandma's house. Perhaps they can come to workwith me, etc...

My buns are so much more relaxed and calm then when I brought themhome. Loud noises don't bother them. They haveadjusted well to my noisy little brother. And they love to beloved. How would I go about socializing them? Itseems as if they are more than half way there. Anyone taketheir buns out and about? Any tips or suggestions?

Greetings Kricket!

Just Do It! :) Take them out, get them used to people, handle them,talk to them, and observe their individual personalities and see if itworks.

Buck Jones, a member of this forum, had created his own, 'Buck Pack'.We've got a picture of it on this forum if you do a search for 'buckpack'. He and 'The Missus' (his Bride) take their bunnies all over.Their rabbits literally have traveled the country with them. :)

I'd like to find out what it would require for me to take Cali (myFlemish Giant) into the Nursing home for a visit. I bet some of thepatients would love her, be shocked at her size and how Gentle she is.There's red tape involved with doing that though.

Tina takes her rabbit with her everywhere too. Apollo (another Flemish)strolls through campgrounds, neighborhoods, you name it...in hisstroller. Check out the Apollo Acres post by dajeti2.

Your rabbits are at a good age now to get them going. They're young andit's a good time to get them acclimated to the environment you wantthem to be comfortable in.

Some handle it better than others. You'll know. Trust your instincts onhow they react to it. Start out on small trips, and build up. :)

That's what I'd do.

-Carolyn

It's essential that my buns are very social andunafraid of strangers since I live in a college dorm and have lots ofvisitors. When we first got them they lived in the bedroom where therewasn't alot of traffic. When first introducing them to people moving inand out, we left them in their cage so they could feel secure. Thenwe'd let them out and have people sit and let the rabbits approachthem. Since they're fairly chill anyway, it didn't take long for themto become comfortable with lots of people being around.

Later we moved their cage into the entry way. They're in a fairly hightraffic area, but are still very calm and collected. They really lovenew people because they know they'll get lots of love from them. Ithink the key is to introduce them slowly to new people in anenvironment they are familiar with. When they're secure with that kindof interaction, take them to busier places with more people around...Just baby steps.

I take Apollo everywhere. It all startswith getting them used to a harness. Once they master that it's just amatter of going to as many different places with all sorts of people.Apollo has been to nursing homes, parks, shows, a concert, demolitionderby, livestock shows and a million more places.

Halley.jpg

WatchingJer2.jpg

WatchingJer.jpg

NailCutter.jpg

I trying to get him certified as a pet therapy animal.

If you go to Apollo'ss Acres you can see alot of different situations that your rabbits may enjoy.

Tina and Apollo

EEEM,

I love that you have the babies in the dorm. I really enjoy your pictures. Great advice!! :dude:

Kricket, I'm going to bump up EEEM's post for you because it'll showyou how comfortable her little ones are. Besides, they're the onlyrabbits I know that are living on campus in College.

Tina,

Your pictures of Apollo melt my heart. One would think it's you withthe strawberry hair, but it's not. Apollo takes to everyone, but Lordknows, he's a Mama's Boy.

Kricket,

Tina claims to be painfully shy. *humph!* Go Figure!

;)

-Carolyn

Tina claims to be painfully shy. *humph!* Go Figure

When you take an 18 pound bunny outside you are not allowed tobe shy lol. I can talk bunnies for hours as me about me and I'm as redas a beet and can barely stammer through a full sentence.

Tina

WOW! Tina, Apollo is SOcool!! He is HUGE!! Have you had him since he was ababy? I am amazed at his attitude! Well, what I cantell from the pictures. What a sweetie! Do you haveothers? (I am on my way to check out your other posts)

EEEM, your situation sounds like what my buns experienceeveryday. heeeheee. They were initally veryjumpy. Now after being around my noisy brother with his loudmusic, dual-exhaust truckand all the noise of bringing hisfriends around has really livened up their lives. They don'teven jump or get nervous when my dog barks. It hasn't takenthem long to adjust. (I HAVE to check out your other posts!!)

Thanks y'all for all the advice. There is soooo much to learnand read here in this fabulous forum, I am so glad to behere! Thanks again! ;)

Thank you so much. I got Apollo when hewas 4 months old. He is extremely mellow, very out going andadapts quickly to most situations. I started working with him thesecond day.

This is me and Apollo

Wollo1.jpg

A little over a year later anyone can pick him up and hold him,he seeks people out for attention and really enjoys going everywherewith us.

Sylvias2.jpg

LaidOut1.jpg

OneEar.jpg

Waiting4ATurn.jpg

Being able to bring him everywhere is so much fun. Iam going to be getting a basket made for my Bike so he can go for rideswith us in the summer.

Have bunny will travel lol.

Tina

AWWWWWW! TINA! You have thesweetest bunny! I am so impressed! I can only hopethat someday my buns will be as good-natured as Apollo. Whata sweetheart!

Thats hysterical!! He's HUGE!!! I love it....

I should start taking Corky places now that the weather has gottennice..I REALLY gotta get that harness!!! Was wanting to waittil he grew some more...but maybe I shouldn't....best to start thesocialaztion and such NOW! He's already SO mello that I thinkhe'll do fine!

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Thats hysterical!! He's HUGE!!! I love it....

I should start taking Corky places now that the weather has gottennice..I REALLY gotta get that harness!!! Was wanting to waittil he grew some more...but maybe I shouldn't....best to start thesocialaztion and such NOW! He's already SO mello that I thinkhe'll do fine!

Yeah. I've been told by all of the rabbit gurus to startearly. I think it was Carolyn that said: "Go forit!" :D

Kricket,
They do adjust so fast! I think it's definitely true that rabbits arefairly skittish by nature, but by treating them like they can't handlethe tiniest stress is just going to keep them scared and skittish. Butby socializing little by little and building up to things like dogsbarking, car horns, and loud music (I have a brother too, I totallyknow about that), rabbits can adjust very well and get to be supermellow. And they can be super friendly like Apollo! Certainly naturalpersonality has something to do with it, but I'm sure Tina's hard worksocializxing him had alot to do with Apollo being so chill and mellow.Judy has mellowed out alot since she's been with us, though Harold hasalways been easy to please. I hope things continue to go well and thatyour buns adjust to a noisy house and active life! Sounds like they'rewell on their way.

Kricket wrote:
PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Thatshysterical!! He's HUGE!!! I love it....

Yeah. I've been told by all of the rabbit gurus to startearly. I think it was Carolyn that said: "Go forit!" :D

went and got the harnesses tonite...packed em in the dog carrier withthe litter box and off to the petstore we went....HA, they were SOOOOgood...tried the harnesses on em and let em hop around...people weregetting a HUGE kick out the bunnies being there! To carry them thru thestore we put em in the cart and they were so good and never even poopedwhile in the petstore!!

It was fun takin em there. Me and mom (pgg) were suprised they didn't poop while there!

The bunny in the stroller is funny!!

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Kricket wrote:
PuterGeekGirl wrote:
Thatshysterical!! He's HUGE!!! I love it....

went and got the harnesses tonite...packed em in the dog carrier withthe litter box and off to the petstore we went....HA, they were SOOOOgood...tried the harnesses on em and let em hop around...people weregetting a HUGE kick out the bunnies being there! To carry them thru thestore we put em in the cart and they were so good and never even poopedwhile in the petstore!!

Awwww! How exciting for them! I took one of my bunsout this weekend. Just for about 45 minutes. Mygirl came with me to work. She was good. A littlesuspicious, but good. She even used her litter box.(No poop on the floor!) :p Good girl.It's the boy's turn next weekend. (Can't take them outtogether yet, they are getting altered in a couple of weeks)

Took em out yesterday and let em play for a good 1/2 hour...they had a ball and were exhausted when we took em in!

Latest posts

Back